• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

PS5 pricing vs Nvidia 3000 series

Associate
I think its a valid topic as long as people stick to the point but that was never gonna happen.
This, some pc gamers might be sitting with a choice of spending £400 on a gpu to put in an aging system for next gen games or to buy a console and keep there pc for their existing games library. It's not as if your PC goes in the bin when you buy a console.

Associate
I buy all the consoles. I carefully unwrap them and keep all the boxes. I then buy all the games on Disc / Cartridge that I'm interested in. I then play all the exclusives until I get bored (it doesn't normally take long :)). I then sell them for almost for as much as I bought them.

In fact I sold the Switch after playing 8 of the best games that I wanted to play for more than I bought the whole lot for - as I timed it with a Black Friday deal and bought all the games second hand on eBay. They don't drop in value on Nintendo consoles for some reason...

I will be doing this for PS5! I'm currently 1448 in the queue at Currys for the Disk based version. Might even sell just before Christmas. It has always worked in the past! You just need to be savvy and organised.

I don't scalp them - and always resell starting at 99p. This gets the majority of people interested and bidding way before the auction ends. Never let me down yet!

Associate
This, some pc gamers might be sitting with a choice of spending £400 on a gpu to put in an aging system for next gen games or to buy a console and keep there pc for their existing games library. It's not as if your PC goes in the bin when you buy a console.

Yea. I am debating upgrading my 2200g to a zen3 + decent GPU system or buying a console now and getting DDR5 PC in a couple of years time. The Series X is the way I would go due to Game Pass and already having Xbox One controllers I use on the rPi/PC and for £450 the value proposition is pretty strong since that will be cheaper than a PC upgrade for comparable performance.

Soldato
I was expecting next gen consoles to cost $599 so I think the 3080 and especially the 3070 need a price cut $50-$100. Lets see what AMD brings.

Associate
As someone who always goes with Sony (no idea why but I always ended up with a PS), I content with the pricing. As said previously, the two can coexist in the same household :D

Caporegime
For the first time in over 20 years I won't be buying a 'next-gen' console at all

Not because they are crap, in fact the specs look really good on both IMO
Not because the launch games are lousy - This is a guy who bought a PS2 and mainly played Smackdown 2 (PS1) game on it
Not because they are too expensive - They are pretty reasonable considering the power
Not because I have moved on - I'm still massively in to games.

Simply because, games exclusivity isn't really 'a thing' anymore.

I can play all the Xbox games on Gamepass on my PC, so Xbox Series X is entirely pointless for me.

OK, Sony will have a few timed exclusives, but with the announcement they plan to release more games on PC in the vein of Horizon: Zero Dawn and Death Stranding there's no need to own a PS5 if you can wait 6 months.

I'll just stick with PC gaming on my TV with an Xbox Elite 2 controller, and the money I would have spent (£900 for both) will go towards a new GPU instead for HDMI 2.1 goodness.

Associate
Past couple of years been I've having some great gaming moments with a 2080ti, a PS4 Pro and a Switch. Hell, I would have probably got an Xbox if they had any games worth playing.

All three will probably be replaced in the next six months for a better version. Gaming is an expensive hobby, no wonder some people pick a side and stick to it.

Associate
While i can't wait for the ps5 and demons souls in particular.. i gotta say my hype died a bit after seeing game prices.

Here in Romania each first party exclusive (big ones like demon souls / ratchet etc, not miles morales which ain't exactly a "full" game per-say) will cost 80 euros, up from 60 euros. I mean really? They'll push even more people to the used game market.

As for 3xxx vs ps5, again, no point in this discussion. Best is to have both. PC for multiplats, ps5 for exclusives, PCVR for .. well pcvr and psvr2 for ps exclusives later on. XBox doesn't even exist in the equation if you already have a potent PC. It's like the most useless piece of plastic ever.

OK, Sony will have a few timed exclusives, but with the announcement they plan to release more games on PC in the vein of Horizon: Zero Dawn and Death Stranding there's no need to own a PS5 if you can wait 6 months.

They plan sure, question is, the only thing we saw from their first party studios was horizon, a really old game, and the port was garbage (still is). I seriously doubt they will release demons' souls or other first party exclusives 6 months later, best case scenario maybe 2 years later but who knows who and how will port the game and how it will run / look? They already said Demons souls "coming to pc" was a mistake in the trailer, in other words no plans to currently do that, same with FF XVI etc. Ratchet and clank / gran turismo there was no mention at all.

No point imo going through all that, unless ofcourse you dont care that much about their exclusives in the first place.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't have any interest in those games, hence why I have a PC for PC games and not a console for console games. Its fine if people want to discuss consoles and console games but this isn't the section of the forum for that.

I wouldn't go on to a Ferrari forum to say how great the pricing of a Nissan GTR is, it boggles me as to why there's a constant stream of console gamers who do the same on here.

People should be able to compare. Where would you suggest posting a comparison thread? The console forum? Omg someone talking about gpus on a console forum.

If people want a gaming experience then it's only right to educate people on options.

Your post history is just years of gpu forum and vr forum. You don't even post in the pc gaming forum which implies your pc for games barely actually games :p

Soldato
Both consoles are a lot for your money however a pc and console in my eyes are two different things. A pc can do a lot more than a console can.

And you also have to remember a PS5 is relatively weak and will still likely be targeting 4k 30fps. It only has a gpu likely equivalent to a 2070/S so a ways behind the likes of 3070 or 3080.

A 3080 is likely to be around twice the performance of the Xbox series x!

Associate
Disc version for £500 isn't worth it for me and the non disc version being locked into either Sony or Microsoft's digital stores sounds awful. I find I get much better all round experience for gaming and the millions of other uses the PC offers. Just need to wait for AMD to bring their new GPU's out then I will decide which card to go for :D

Soldato
Disc version for £500 isn't worth it for me and the non disc version being locked into either Sony or Microsoft's digital stores sounds awful. I find I get much better all round experience for gaming and the millions of other uses the PC offers. Just need to wait for AMD to bring their new GPU's out then I will decide which card to go for :D

What are the million other uses for pc?

I am being slightly awkward here but I use my pc for gaming, Browsing and MS office programs. I could probably browse on a new console with a keyboard and mouse (or on my tv for that matter).

Am I some kind of weirdo because I barely do anything on my pc other than Browse while my game loads.

Associate
Looking at the performances, it doesnt really look like many PS4 titles are aiming for 4K60. Demons souls is 4K30 with 1440p60 performance mode, Probably the same for Miles morales and Horizon. You can get that level of performance with a 1080.

But the exact performance we will have to wait and see, but their press videos really didnt blow minds with frame rate. If youre happy with 30fps tho youre golden.

Caporegime

They are £449.99 actually :)

And MS aren't releasing a non disc version, they are releasing a "1440p" console in the series s

Caporegime
After watching the PS5 launch thing last night I don't understand why anyone would want a PS5, it made the Xbox presentation look good, utter dross.
I decided not to get one this year, will wait for 2021 at the earliest, when it has some games that are worth playing.

Means I will focus on just upgrading the PC this year.

The XSX is a more than viable option, but too much overlap with PC really in terms of games, and Game Pass being available for PC also.

I think this year I will just spend big on the PC, up to £1600 should do it for basically a new system. And then it can last another 8 years of neglect, maybe :p

Soldato
I decided not to get one this year, will wait for 2021 at the earliest, when it has some games that are worth playing.

Means I will focus on just upgrading the PC this year.

The XSX is a more than viable option, but too much overlap with PC really in terms of games, and Game Pass being available for PC also.

I think this year I will just spend big on the PC, up to £1600 should do it for basically a new system. And then it can last another 8 years of neglect, maybe :p

Nice, I've gone for the x purely as it's a "kind" of cheap PC, I'll play multi-plats mainly so this will be a way to game whilst I pay off the extension on the house, COD etc support keyboard and mouse so I'll slum it for a while until I've got the funds.

Caporegime
Nice, I've gone for the x purely as it's a "kind" of cheap PC, I'll play multi-plats mainly so this will be a way to game whilst I pay off the extension on the house, COD etc support keyboard and mouse so I'll slum it for a while until I've got the funds.
Yeah I don't think anyone will be disappointed with an XSX, for the money they're asking.

Back
Top Bottom