Man sends banana to black mans table in Wetherspoons pub

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Ahh, hung like a donkey are we? :D

This is where I don't get it though. This idiots actions were to imply something and it's clearly annoyed you as you're in support of the criminal charges. Whereas someone straight up saying something to you gets less of a reaction.

If we're going of an embryo, sure!

Yeah I suppose it doesn't make much sense really. But I just think calling up the police because someone called me a name and I have no proof of it either way, just a waste of time when I could be getting on with my day.

someone going out of their way to insult me by sending a 'gift' to my table? To me that's less forgivable than calling me a name in anger because I can accept that sometimes people can speak without engaging their brain. That only takes a momentarily lapse of judgement. Going through with an order, finding out his table number, then confirming and paying for it. He had plenty of times to stop and think but he didn't and he still went ahead with it.

That was all a conscious and premeditated decision to act like a berk. So I have no issue with him falling foul to the law.

Last edited:
Caporegime
If you're not bothered about a banana being sent to a black man then you're also not bothered about a banana being thrown towards a black footballer on the pitch.
Some of you in here make me sick :(

Of course! Its terrible.

In the 90s they used to call Roger Palmer (lovingly) 'pooh Roger palmer the (insert colour) banana' at oldham football club. Pretty shameful.

But no one was saying that they want to kill all people of (insert colour here).

Which is worse, talk of a genocide being broadcast on tv or a banana?

Caporegime
If we're going of an embryo, sure!

Yeah I suppose it doesn't make much sense really. But I just think calling up the police because someone called me a name and I have no proof of it either way, just a waste of time when I could be getting on with my day.

someone going out of their way to insult me by sending a 'gift' to my table? To me that's less forgivable than calling me a name in anger because I can accept that sometimes people can speak without engaging their brain. That only takes a momentarily lapse of judgement. Going through with an order, finding out his table number, then confirming and paying for it. He had plenty of times to stop and think but he didn't and he still went ahead with it.

That was all a conscious and premeditated decision to act like a berk. So I have no issue with him falling foul to the law.

Ok. I get your view and why it would **** you off more. Completely agree actually, especially with the premeditation aspect.

Where we'll have to differ though is that although I hate what he's done, I still don't think it should be a criminal offence. I'd definitely have your back if you lamped him though!

Soldato
Which is worse, talk of a genocide being broadcast on tv or a banana?
But that isnt what happened. She actually said when people say kill whitey they dont mean white people.

Sending a banana to some random black guy sitting in a pub is an obvious racist act. How do you think he felt sitting in a pub getting a racist message sent to him? Someone may as well have just shouted out the N word to him. Which happens regularly.

Soldato
And not just him, the rest of the morons who like to waste police time by going out their way to be offensive to someone they dont know.

Quite. Has he been interviewed by some obscure "media" outfit yet, complaining about political correctness/cultural Marxism/woke culture or whatever their current bogeyman is?

Soldato
Ok. I get your view and why it would **** you off more. Completely agree actually, especially with the premeditation aspect.

Where we'll have to differ though is that although I hate what he's done, I still don't think it should be a criminal offence. I'd definitely have your back if you lamped him though!

Yeah I think that's the main bit that makes me think he deserves it. Someone just saying something off the cuff vs someone planning and carrying something out.

I do see where you're coming from though. On one hand it's quite petty to report some things to the police but on the other hand I don't blame him for reporting it to the police because it was out of order.

I'm not really sure how I'd react in the situation but hopefully I, or rather anyone will never have to find out, how they'd react in such a situation.

And as usual whenerver I end up talking about things like this with you it goes full circle and I end up seeing things from your side aha.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I guess some people have never been on the receiving end of racist comments.

People say, that there's a chip on the shoulder of a lot of ethnic minorities, but there's a reason for that, they're constantly reminded of the fact they are somehow different (when they're really not). Having been on the receiving end, as well as seeing it against some of my friends and partners in the past - it's frankly not acceptable.

Sure, it may be "feelings" but racism also is much more than that. I've heard wholly unacceptable things in the past and the reaction from my friends were, "it's ok, don't react, we're used to it.".... Why the hell should they be "used to it". That is not acceptable, it is not the modern society we should be living in.

It is a hate crime, and whilst it does seem to have been blown out of proportion, until we stop casual knuckle dragging behaviour like that, we'll never fix society. There's nothing to defend here - whilst it may seem like a joke, it is something that is deeply personal and antagonistic to do.

It is quite tiring hearing apologists stating they're eroding their rights by not being able to say what they want - well, you've got to realise we're moving on as a society and this sort of thing just isn't acceptable anymore (it should never have been in the first place!).

Caporegime
I guess some people have never been on the receiving end of racist comments.

People say, that there's a chip on the shoulder of a lot of ethnic minorities, but there's a reason for that, they're constantly reminded of the fact they are somehow different (when they're really not). Having been on the receiving end, as well as seeing it against some of my friends and partners in the past - it's frankly not acceptable.

Sure, it may be "feelings" but racism also is much more than that. I've heard wholly unacceptable things in the past and the reaction from my friends were, "it's ok, don't react, we're used to it.".... Why the hell should they be "used to it". That is not acceptable, it is not the modern society we should be living in.

It is a hate crime, and whilst it does seem to have been blown out of proportion, until we stop casual knuckle dragging behaviour like that, we'll never fix society. There's nothing to defend here - whilst it may seem like a joke, it is something that is deeply personal and antagonistic to do.

It is quite tiring hearing apologists stating they're eroding their rights by not being able to say what they want - well, you've got to realise we're moving on as a society and this sort of thing just isn't acceptable anymore (it should never have been in the first place!).

I dont disagree but you are also downplaying the abuse sent to people who are

Ginger
Tall
Short (see the thread 'how did this guy get this girl')
Fat
Ugly

Go on any story about Scarlett Moffet on a news website and read the comments- usually about size and weight. Overtly mocking her.

No ones tried to ban the word 'minger'

Yet people are always judged and treated differently due to physical appearance

None if this justifies racism but why aren't we trying to uphold the rights of everyone judged by appearance?

Caporegime
Yeah I think that's the main bit that makes me think he deserves it. Someone just saying something off the cuff vs someone planning and carrying something out.

I do see where you're coming from though. On one hand it's quite petty to report some things to the police but on the other hand I don't blame him for reporting it to the police because it was out of order.

I'm not really sure how I'd react in the situation but hopefully I, or rather anyone will never have to find out, how they'd react in such a situation.

And as usual whenerver I end up talking about things like this with you it goes full circle and I end up seeing things from your side aha.

:D it's why I like talking to you. We normally get each other's views and agree!

The point I definitely agree on is that I hope you nor anyone else has to deal with that sort of crap.

Associate

Very well put - people are more willing to stand up to all types of abuse. Repeated "casual" jokes reinforce behaviour and thought, normalising abnormal attitudes.

Capodecina
Soldato
True. Agree he did take action which is different. However let's say he just called the guy a monkey instead of implied it with the banana. What then?
How come you do not understand that for no reason other than that you happen not to like their appearance, in any way choosing to (just) insult some random stranger is inappropriate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom