How durable is the aluminium Apple Watch?

Associate
I’m gonna pick up a Series 6 Apple Watch, I’ve never owned an Apple Watch properly in the past. I have tried a couple over the years but returned them because I’ve felt they have been too slow. But I’m hoping the new S6 finally fixes that.

My main dilemma is what model to get, I’m more than happy with the look and obviously price of the aluminium model but I’m worried about the glass scratching compared to the sapphire in other models.

Can anyone share their experiences on wearing the basic model, and how the glass and body have held up over time? I’m pretty careful with my stuff but I absolutely hate getting marks on my gadgets and I know it’s something that’ll be exposed on my wrists.

Just before anyone says I’d rather not put W case or screen protector on my watch.

Thanks!

Associate
I've had an Alu model in daily use for one year. I don't baby it at all. Screen is still perfect. The body does pick up little nicks though.

Associate
I have had a space grey aluminium Series 4 since launch and worn almost daily. There is no obvious scratches on the body or the screen but there is a little ding on the crown but I have only just noticed that after studying the watch due to your post. I have not gone out of my way to keep it in good condition either. If I am honest I am surprised there is no scratches on the glass or body. Just in from a run and due to a tight squeeze of a pavement I knocked it on a wall

I am in for the 44mm Silver Aluminium Series 6. Cannot wait.

Commissario
I've always had the space grey aluminium watch since the first version and the only time I've ever had a visible scratch or scrape was when I was carrying some suitcases through an old stone archway and I managed to bash the edge of the watch against it. I don't go out of my way to look after it and I wouldn't even consider putting a screen protector on it again. I did once with the first gen but I quickly realised how stupid it looked and how unnecessary it was.

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
Its pretty strong, this year ive been doing quite a bit DIY, and as its only the 4, ive not bothered taking it off. Its picked up quite a few scratches when its hit bricks, with the force that its been hit with, i would have expected cracks.Otherwise they simply dont pick up scratches at all.

Soldato
Its pretty strong, this year ive been doing quite a bit DIY, and as its only the 4, ive not bothered taking it off. Its picked up quite a few scratches when its hit bricks, with the force that its been hit with, i would have expected cracks.Otherwise they simply dont pick up scratches at all.

Same experience here, I’ve picked up a few scratches on the glass, inc. some fairly deep ones.

Stainless one next time!

Soldato

Same for me, I wear mine all the time including while doing lots of DIY and certainly don’t go out of my way to baby it.

I have picked up a few scratches on the face from when I have scraped it against a hard surface like bricks or stone. The casing is all good though.

Personally I wouldn’t worry about it, if you take care of it you should be fine. At the end of the day the Apple Watch isn’t what I would consider a ‘nice watch’, put it this way, it’s certainly no Swiss mechanical watch.

I see it as tool and your only going to use it for a few years and then bin it once the battery is expired or it falls behind in software/features.

Soldato
Quick question regarding the watch and music (as a potential owner who knows very little so bare with me!)

If I owned a non cellular S6 watch and didnt want to take my phone out with me for a run could i still listen to music on my Sony bluetooth headphones or would i have to buy ear pods to do this?

I get that I'd need to own an iphone in order to move the music over to the watch first but have no intention of carrying my phone with me when out for a run.
thanks for any replies!

*edit* sorry just realise I've not posted this in the main watch thread - if a mod can move that'd be great

Last edited:
Associate
Quick question regarding the watch and music (as a potential owner who knows very little so bare with me!)

If I owned a non cellular S6 watch and didnt want to take my phone out with me for a run could i still listen to music on my Sony bluetooth headphones or would i have to buy ear pods to do this?

I get that I'd need to own an iphone in order to move the music over to the watch first but have no intention of carrying my phone with me when out for a run.
thanks for any replies!

*edit* sorry just realise I've not posted this in the main watch thread - if a mod can move that'd be great

No, any bluetooth headphones would work, but you need to use apple music as spotify doesn't work on apple watch yet.

Caporegime
I would say adequately durable, my S5 has been worn through all different types of sport, exercise and day to day for the best part of a year and has a couple of hairline scratches on the face and a tiny scuff on the top of the face.

This isn't surprising considering what it's been through, not sure any other watch would avoid those battle scars. The actual aluminium body itself is still immaculate.

Soldato
I scratched the screen on the first one I had from the abrasive rivet of a popper on the inside of a jacket sleeve, although it was only visible when the light hit it a certain way; it’s much like the phone screen as far as durability. I’ve never damaged the body on either of the one’s I’ve had though, which is funny considering how easy aluminium marks and I overall as long as you’re not completely careless you should be fine with it. Combined with a Juuk band the cheaper one can still look classy and it’s less weighty than the SS. Of course ceramic would be nice but... £££££

Associate
Whilst at work, I wear mine (S3) in a very harsh engineering environment and have a Spigen protector on it. It’s consistently getting knocked, scraped and wet and as such is fairly scratched on the screen and the case is also marked due to the force of impacts through the Spigen protector. The watch still works perfectly and you cannot see any scratches on the screen whilst it is lit up. It does just what I want it to do
(activity tracking/iMessage/timer/Apple Pay) and out of work I’ll take the protector off and change the strap. It is however, no beauty queen but it has held up with the abuse I’ve subjected it to over the past couple of years. I’m quite surprised tbh and I’d buy another Ally one when this one dies.

Soldato
I had the series 3 watch since release and until this Friday when I switched to the series 6. I only managed to mark the glass very slightly in the corner (so off the visible screen area) after accidentally catching it on a brick wall. Was only visible at some angles. It is definitely durable.

Commissario
Three days.

Three sodding days.

wxPr9bF.jpeg

Worst of all, I have no idea how it happened. I'm not aware of knocking it, I'm not aware of scraping it against anything. I put it on charge, took it off charge half an hour later and noticed the scratch straight away. It's not even a small mark, it's deep and I can really feel it with my fingernail.

Three days :(

Back
Top Bottom