• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

So, decided on a 3080? Which manufacturer and why?

Associate
Asus TUF here, as soon as FE idea collapsed, the first reviews showed the TUF cooler owning the others.

Problem is I ended up paying £709 later in day when it was £649 to start off with, before the websites all collapsed.

Feels bad now tbh, may cancel my order and sit it out.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
The RTX 3080 Eagle but it is probably likely im going to cancel and free it up for someone else and wait for the new amd cards really considering leaving nvidia after decades after this.

ive-seen-the-light

Associate
I did not want to let on which card I was going for.

As I had seen many comments completely dishing it as a buying option, and that kinda worked for me. :)
I certainly did not want to draw attention to the things that I had noticed below.

But I went for the ASUS RTX 3080 TUF (non-OC) version.

This is the one I went for after failing to get an FE. Snagged it at £649.99 too :D

Associate
I went for the non-oc Tuf as well! Ended up paying more, I had no idea they were cheaper earlier. I was trying for ages at launch but eventually had to go back to work and ended up getting one in the last couple of hours when oc came back online. That said, I'm just glad I got one... Bring on the 21st!

I'm intending to put this in a SFF build (streacom da2) and allthough the da2 oficially only supports a max card width of 50mm, I'm running a slightly modified bottom panel and by my measurements I'll have a full 1.2mm of clearance :D

So fitting in to my case was the main requirement. I also think the tuf is the nicest looker of the aftermarket cards and it matches the rest of my build perfectly.

Associate
I failed to secure an FE as well, but sort of glad, because i am actually liking the Tuff now after seeing a couple of reviews, going for the non OC version.

I failed to secure an FE as well, but sort of glad, because i am actually liking the Tuff now after seeing a couple of reviews, going for the non OC version.

Don't see any reason why the non-OC model wouldn't manually overclock as well as the OC model using Afterburner / OC scanner.
I doubt the chips are binned any differently, it's just a case of the silicon lottery I reckon.

Associate
Went with Gigabyte again as it was the only one that i could get an order through on. I own a Gigabyte 2080RTX which looks a bit pants (like the new 3080 version does) but overclocks very well, Have had it since launch, for around the past four months one of the fan bearings must be going as once the card fans are cranked up over 80% what a god awful noise comes off it. Still it has a 3 year warranty on it so it will be sent in for repair/replacement once the 3080 arrives. Hopefully wont happen with the 3080 this time round but atleast i will have a new/refurbished 2080 as a backup card.

Associate
I went with the EVGA FTW Ultra at £769, I had a Asus TUF at £649 ordered, but I want to eventually put the card under water (will be first time :eek: ) and going by last gen seems the ftw and msi trios had blocks from ek (could still backfire as only founders and reference have blocks announced). Knowing my luck it will end up the TUF gets one and not the FTW :D

Another reason for cancelling the Asus and going with the FTW was that I didn't want it to ship day one just keep day one pricing. It was seeming like no one actually had FTW's in stock, I want to try and see what AMD have in store end of october and the longer it takes the competitor to ship it to me the longer I have to use their 30 day return. My 1070 can soldier on for a few more weeks.

Soldato
I went for the Asus TUF, no previous experience with them, but the card looked good enough. Absolutely no idea when anything will turn up after yesterday's farce :rolleyes:
Order went through at 2.11pm so who knows. Nothing says shipped currently.

Last edited:
Associate
I've been looking through the reviews and suspiciously the ASUS TUF Gaming OC is a good 15-20c lower than other cards at full load. Some reviews showing figures of like 63c under load.

I'm saying it now, that's not a real number equivalent to the other cards. These cards are much higher TDP than the 2080ti's and I don't think any of those were at in the low 60s under full load. I would say most of them are in the 75-80s under full load tested in normal conditions.

Back
Top Bottom