• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I'll just put this here...

I've edited this back in - No need for a separate thread - Armageus

These's some rumours going around about a 128MB Infinity Cache.

I'd say its very likely to be correct, a patent was published today from AMD called 'ADAPTIVE CACHE RECONFIGURATION VIA CLUSTERING', link here here:
https://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2020/0293445.html

Basically, what I think it will allow, is greater L1 cache capacity for GPUs. It does this by dynamically creating 'a plurality of compute units' clusters. The dynamically created clusters allow a 'backup' pool of shared L1 cache to be accessed, if the L1 cache for a CU (Compute Unit) isn't sufficient.

L1 cache is the fastest (lowest latency) type of GPU cache. So the more L1 capacity, the less the slower L2 and L3 caches are used.

My thoughts - The 5700 XT uses 128KB L1 Cache per Graphics Engine (4 in total). Maybe L1 cache sizes would also need to be increased? The RTX 3080 has a total of 8.7MB of L1 cache (128 KB per SM), quite a bit higher.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More general rumours here:
https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-R...-PlayStation-5-GPU-clock-speeds.494558.0.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Even if they did release info people would still go with the "err meh gawd drivers" pish and buy NVIDIA anyway. And we all seen what happened with the performance claims of the 3080, people would be equally sceptical of any AMD performance claims and not want to wait to find out one way or the other.

Well, maybe we'll see the day AMD will actually do something about that.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Well after saying earlier in the week about not being sure whether to wait for AMD to release before jumping on the GPU upgrade wagon, the shambles of the nvidia 'paper' launch and the blatant and disgusting price gouging by retailers has made my mind up to wait it out.

I just hope AMDs launch has a better start and doesn't decend into the chaos that nvidias has.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Well after saying earlier in the week about not being sure whether to wait for AMD to release before jumping on the GPU upgrade wagon, the shambles of the nvidia 'paper' launch and the blatant and disgusting price gouging by retailers has made my mind up to wait it out.

1497993320618.png

DDH

DDH

Associate
I am just speculating here guys, dont shoot the messenger

Something doesnt add up here:

• Big reveal of Zen 3 in OCT8
  • One on OCT28, another reveal of RDNA2 .
  • And then yet another reveal, in JAN 2021.
All while you are trying to produce Zen3 / Playstationg GPU / Xbox GPU / Navi GPU on TMCS 7nm

Something will have to give. Especially if yields are *****. Which appears to be the case.

They are going to reveal nvidias headstone. Rdna3 in 2021, MCM on TSMC nm will bury NVIDIA.

Man of Honour
They are going to reveal nvidias headstone. Rdna3 in 2021, MCM on TSMC nm will bury NVIDIA.

While it doesn't absolutely require it - to make the best use of MCM will require some significant OS, driver and hardware changes and we'd likely see more Windows updates along the lines of the rollout of hardware accelerated scheduling well in advance of MCM GPUs come along.

EDIT: Not sure if it was just prototyping but apparently one of the approaches that has been played with is almost the opposite of what some people talk about - a way of having multiple chips that can be allocated to multiple virtual GPUs which can have their resource allocation dynamically adjusted on the fly - which can be farmed out to indiscriminately from the software/application side but adjusted at a lower level depending on load on each one.

Last edited:
Associate
Seeing this is cementing the reason why AMD waited and continues to do so. Good on them.

Yea they have great products coming

This gen Big Dog Navis is the first stone thrown or set.
They beaten Intel and now nvidia is feeling the pressure.

Last edited:
Associate
Im laughing that many people think Nvidia dont have poor supply of their GPUs, this was pretty much a paper launch to get out ahead of what they know is coming.

People are blaming the retailers for gouging, it was always going to happen with the limited stock supply.

Reports of over 80% yield for the cpu for the new Xbox Series S, sounds promising, i do expect however the GPU's to be limited supply for a few months especially with Cpus coming as well, but nothing like Nvidias issues.

I think we may see a turning point for the Radeon team with this launch, i cant wait, will trade in my 5700XT for big Navi

Caporegime
Rogame et al on Twitter seem pretty convinced that Navi 21 is 16GB of GDDR6 on a 256 bit bus and Navi 22 is 12GB of GDDR6.

I think we can expect Navi 21 to be flirting with 3080 performance levels at around $100 cheaper with 50W less power required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom