Help identifying problem

Associate
Hi, I purchased and built (with help of a friend) a gaming PC about a year ago, but it's presenting a problem that neither of us can figure out. Whenever I play on high settings, the PC restarts itself. At first he thought it was the GPU overheating, but after installing a program that shows the temp, it shows that it hovers between 60 - 65 celcious (and acording to my friend thats fine, you guys let me know if you agree, because I have no clue).

Maybe relevant info?:
CPU: i9 9900k 3.6 GHz 8-Core
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i RGB Platinum 75 CFM
Motherboard: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XI FORMULA ATX LGA11151
RAM: G.SKill Trident Z RGB 32 GB DDR4-4000 CL18
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB AORUS XTREME WATERFORCE
Power Supply: Corsair 850 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX

Game: Black Desert Online

Restart Occurs when: Playing on Max settings. Also cut scenes in game, even when playing on lower settings.

If you need any more info, please ask, and i'll do my best to provide it.

Thanks in advance!

Associate
OP
No, my friend wanted to overclock the CPU at first, but neither he nor I posess the skills or knowledge required to do so, so we left it alone.

Associate
OP
@Lartyconshayo CPU temps 60 - 65 aswell. Not sure how to look at the windows event logs (or what they are for that matter). The program for temp check is riva tuner statistics i believe.
@Joxeon how would i go about doing that?
@orbitalwalsh is that the cpu cooler? meaning a bigger one? CPU temps are 60 - 65 celcious when restart occurs.

Soldato
If it's performing a restart, the first point of call to me would be to check the PSU. Do you or your friend have a spare PSU you could borrow to hook up and test it out.

From there it's a case of swapping out which components you can until you find the culprit.

Soldato
Have you unplugged everything and then plugged back with minimum components connected (reattach even the connectors/memory you need to run the minimum setup - ignore CPU for now):
  • CPU/Cooler (don't uninstall yet)
  • 1 stick of memory (alternate sticks)
  • PSU (pull all connection and reattach those that are needed)
  • Use iGPU on the CPU
Test -if it works reinstall GPU, test again.

If the same result - then ideally you need to try a skeleton setup outside of the case and bridge the PW pins to get it started to rule out shorting.

Associate
OP
@Plec i believe my friend did all that (he took out everything and we used the PC without the case all laid on a table, and i remember him disconecting and connecting stuff and doing the alternating ram thing)

Associate
OP
@Bouton Aide i raised the game settings to cause a restart, and now i have the logs, but i have no idea what they mean. there are like 50-100 logs within a minute when the restart happened, how can i give you the information to see if the answer is there?

Permabanned
@Bouton Aide i raised the game settings to cause a restart, and now i have the logs, but i have no idea what they mean. there are like 50-100 logs within a minute when the restart happened, how can i give you the information to see if the answer is there?

either take a screenshot or upload the logs n share it

Reboots on high settings is usually heat related and/or driver issues.

Very hard to pinpoint. Can you confirm it doesn’t happen when you put the settings to medium or low? What game is it?

Soldato
Try @Bouton Aide suggestions.

@Plec i believe my friend did all that (he took out everything and we used the PC without the case all laid on a table, and i remember him disconecting and connecting stuff and doing the alternating ram thing)
It sounds as though your friend has done all that he can do with the components he has to hand.

PSU is a strong contender given fault - but unfortunately could equally be the GPU (or other), thanks to ambiguity of PC fault diagnosis. Another PSU or GPU would be great to test (realise you're stuck) - but it's quite a specific problem so would need to be a high end card to draw similar power to affect MB/PSU in the same way.

Back
Top Bottom