• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** NVIDIA RTX 30 SERIES NOW ONLINE AT OVERCLOCKERS UK (3090 / 3080 / 3070) **

Associate
Where it's hosted has nothing to do with it. Doing a lift and shift with a creaky e-Commerce platform isn't going to make it perform better. You really need to use the native services.

This site shouldn't have gone down though, they should be using better software.

Do you think they care? They could have spent thousands on better software / hosting but to what end?

They still sold every card they had and can't even fulfill all the orders they've taken. I'd imagine they had only a couple of hundred cards if that.

Associate
One company I worked with had major issues like this for trainer launches and what we did there was to create a completely separate light weight "launches" site with Angular + Node.JS and MongoDB. This site had bot protection services that worked to stop the sneaker bots and allowed the main website to stay up plus process all the entrants who wanted to win the trainers for a particular competition without falling over.

That's a nice and simple solution. I'm a developer but I've only been in the e-commerce space for the past year - I'm suffering with the same caching band-aid solution on one site with around a million product variations.

Associate
Do you think they care? They could have spent thousands on better software / hosting but to what end?

They still sold every card they had and can't even fulfill all the orders they've taken. I'd imagine they had only a couple of hundred cards if that.
A site from me would have costed a few 100k in fairness ;D (My clients usually measure the orders per second though, so you would need to be pretty high volume).

Associate
While I've bought plenty of times from ocuk over the years, I've never pre-ordererd anything before - is payment taken at despatch or as soon as you pre-order guys?

Man of Honour

I'm not sure it was entirely due to the 3080 demand - possibly that traffic was acting like a DDOS but I saw several unrelated sites were hit and offline around the same time citing a DDOS attack possibly related to the current tiktok controversy.

Caporegime
Anyone who didnt get a card in the first wave rejoice! The pound has crept back up to near $1.30 so should mean a price reduction of over £50 on some cards based on what happened yesterday.

200.gif

Associate
That's a nice and simple solution. I'm a developer but I've only been in the e-commerce space for the past year - I'm suffering with the same caching band-aid solution on one site with around a million product variations.

Honestly it works really well I saw the hell they went through every time a new set of Yeezy's or Jordan's came in the whole website down within minutes.

Associate
My ordering experience with OC was nerve racking. But soon realised after every click just to be patient for the next bit. Prob took about 20 mins from start to finish

i bought the Gigabyte Eagle at £650 and was charged £650. Noticed this morning it now £690

got my confirmation and now just a case of being patient and wait for delivery. Still have my 1080ti so can continue playing :)

Associate
Not true and this is coming from an Enterprise Architect, I get paid to tell large e-commerce companies how to actually use cloud technologies properly. I've seen "AWS hosted sites" which are setup badly. The backend is probably the weak point as it did show that they ran out of database connections at one point. My guess is the database is hosted on RDS which probably is sized for normal workloads not large spikes. They might be better off switching to Aurora and re-resize the nodes in advance of a "launch". There could also be issues at the code level which means that regardless how well the database is sized and configured they have bottlenecks at the application level which the Varnish cache masks - end result eventually things fallover. However just because something is hosted on AWS does not make it bullet proof.

One company I worked with had major issues like this for trainer launches and what we did there was to create a completely separate light weight "launches" site with Angular + Node.JS and MongoDB. This site had bot protection services that worked to stop the sneaker bots and allowed the main website to stay up plus process all the entrants who wanted to win the trainers for a particular competition without falling over.

I always find it interesting when people do zero research - overclockers is hosted by Tempus London Ltd (which took me 1 dns lookup and 1 ripe database lookup) - so no where near AWS.

And while I would say overclocker's website structure isn't perfect there is little point fixing the issue we saw yesterday for something that is likely to occur only once more (the 3070 launch).

Associate
I think if I was in my twenties I'd have probably been sad enough to have been sat there refreshing the website from 2 till 4pm trying to get an order in lol. I cannot be doing with any of that these days, I guess I'm a lot more chilled out now and I'm pretty laid back anyway. Will be exciting to see what AMD unveils with RDNA2. I don't know why but I've got a feeling that AMD are just going to deliver. And there's something quite charming about pairing an AMD Graphics Card with an AMD Processor. Maybe the new Radeons will be optimised with the the new Ryzens. If not then I reckon the 3080Ti's will be announced around the same time and I think FS 2020 will benefit from more VRAM in the long term, 10GB will quickly become quite low in a year's time I think, so 20GB will be the sweet spot.

Same, I would have been disappointed if I was younger, but I knew for a fact there was no way I would get one on launch, more than happy to wait to see what AMD bring out and hopefully a lot cheaper.

I am too looking for a card for FS2020, my 980ti is just about holding on.

Permabanned
I always find it interesting when people do zero research - overclockers is hosted by Tempus London Ltd (which took me 1 dns lookup and 1 ripe database lookup) - so no where near AWS.

And while I would say overclocker's website structure isn't perfect there is little point fixing the issue we saw yesterday for something that is likely to occur only once more (the 3070 launch).

Yep I jumped the gun just because I saw AWS. 185.103.4.10 is indeed https://ipinfo.io/185.103.4.10

Has nothing to do with me not doing my research though.

It may have been a host outage, maybe not even related to how many people where ordering or accessing the sites at the same time.

Associate

Not 100% true. One of my previous clients lost out for three days over Black Friday due to not being able to accept orders at all due to old website, so their competitor took the bulk of the orders. We re-architected everything so the next 3 Black Fridays were their best ever sellers.

Associate

I never said they were hosted on AWS :) - my reply was to the other person who thought AWS is a magic bullet and my replies where theoretical i.e. if they were on AWS.

Back
Top Bottom