Energy Suppliers

Soldato
I'd recommend Octopus Energy, we're on their Agile tariff so every 30 mins is a different rate. Works for us since we have no children we often cook etc outside of peak times. At points during lockdown we got paid to use electricity.

Caporegime
I'd recommend Octopus Energy, we're on their Agile tariff so every 30 mins is a different rate. Works for us since we have no children we often cook etc outside of peak times. At points during lockdown we got paid to use electricity.

Looking at getting either Agile or Go as I've got an electric car arriving next month and both are better than our current Bulb tariff.

Soldato
scottish power were doing a really good deal: Gas SC = 18p, unit=2.45
Elec SC = 17.9, 13.14

I switched away from Scottish Power because they couldn't offer me anything like that, not even close. Maybe it's a new one as that sounds more reasonable, and similar to my previous pricing.

Went to Avro instead on their Simple and SuperGlow tarriff.

Elec Standing: 15.750p per day
Elec Unit Rate: 13.650p per kWh

Gas Standing: 15.750p per day
Gas Unit Rate: 2.405p per kWh

Soldato
Looking at getting either Agile or Go as I've got an electric car arriving next month and both are better than our current Bulb tariff.

Yep I've got an EV hence the switch. Was on Go originally, and may revert back soon as winter demand is higher and supply lower. Good thing is you can, both are just rolling contracts.

Like I said we got paid to charge it over the summer.

Soldato
I have received an email from Bulb about rates going up

So, what do other pay for electric rates. Almost £110/month for an electric only 2 bed flat seems ridiculous

I just got similar from them. Around £95 for a one bed flat under the new one which seems crazy to me. I don't know what is using up so much electricity. The hot water heater is the only thing I can think of so need to sort that out (open to recommendations for an immersion heater timer if anyone has one :p).

Soldato
Putting a timer on a electric immersion heater shouldn’t make much, if any difference to its cost. The tank will still lose the same amount of heat in the same period.

Immersion heaters are close to 100% efficient so having it turn on and off throughout the day isn’t going to decrease it’s energy use. A fully heated tank will lose more than a partially heated one but if the system is modern the losses should be very small either way.

E.g. if the tank is losing 3kw/day through heat loss, it won’t make much difference if you heat it all in one go or over the course of the day. To have any meaningful reduction in its cost you need to use less hot water, reduce the tanks losses (by insulating it more) or switched to an economy 7 type tariff and shift all your heating to the night but you’ll need storage heaters for that.

Direct electric heating is the most expensive way you can do it currently.

Associate
Quoting monthly DD payments doesn't really mean much, unless it's based on actual usage and you provide readings that confirm what you are paying is accurate.
Being a new build i have smart meters installed so the £41 is rounded up so its as accurate as can be. I am in credit by a smallish amount which is fine as winter is coming so the credit will more than likely disappear due to have the heating on for an hour or so at night after work.

Soldato
I've recently jumped ship from Utility Point to Green and I've had no issues so far. If you ever need to speak with them, their live chat is available from 7am-11pm every day, including Sunday - not bad in my opinion.

My prices have gone down by almost 5%. While not much, Utility Point wanted to charge me a little more, so I thought that was the right time to jump ship rather than line somebody's pockets.

Soldato
So, what do other pay for electric rates. Almost £110/month for an electric only 2 bed flat seems ridiculous

Ooof yeah that is shocking, i'd expect a family of 4 in a 3-bed house to be using that. When we were renting in a 2 bed flat with bulb (all electric) i think we were averaging about £50 a month.

Dual tariff with outfox the market, pay 12.34p per kwh electricity, and it's all renewable. Gas is very cheap too. Been talking to quite a few solar panel fitters recently, and they've all been quite surprised at how cheap it is.

How are you finding OTM? As someone else said, MSE has them down as a "watch out", but trustpilot has them down as pretty good.

Soldato
How are you finding OTM? As someone else said, MSE has them down as a "watch out", but trustpilot has them down as pretty good.
I'd never take a Trustpilot rating at face value. Too many companies incentivise customers to leave positive reviews, or promise to refund them after they leave a good review.

Caporegime
Those that have switched to Octopus Go, how does it work?

Looks like you switch to one of their standard tariffs for a bit and have to ask for them to come install a smartmeter before switching to Go?

Soldato
I've been with them since April. It's a pretty basic service (no App, no smart meters, a very basic website) but trouble-free so far, and they were significantly cheaper when I was changing contracts.

Cheers, the one i was looking at was a variable tariff with no fixed term or leaving penalties. So could always give them a punt and if they are **** then can just switch elsewhere.

Soldato
Those that have switched to Octopus Go, how does it work?

Looks like you switch to one of their standard tariffs for a bit and have to ask for them to come install a smartmeter before switching to Go?

I already had a smart meter which was installed by my previous supplier.

It was pretty simple if I recall, I switched to them online, waited till my go live date, then there was a form on their site to switch to the Go tariff. Filled that in, they did a few checks that they were receiving the meter reads correctly every 30 mins, and then a couple of days later I got an email with a link to complete the switch.

Associate
Bulb is increasing it's tariffs:

• Electricity
    • Unit rate 13.986p -> 15.829p
    • Standing Charge 18.993p -> 19.278p
  • Gas
    • Unit rate 2.737p -> 2.731p
    • Standing Charge 20.444p -> 20.444p

It might be time to change..

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Had a similar email, but higher than that still. I’m £95 in credit and using about £70/month and they also want to increase my DD to £115. Octopus 12month fix is cheaper and even their flexible one so will be switching this weekend.

worth checking anyone else out?

My prices in London, I’m going to have to use a shedload of gas saving 0.03 of a penny for that to mean anything :

Gas costs have come down
The cost of wholesale gas has dropped, so we’re able to pass savings on to you. We’re lowering our gas unit rate from 3.061p to 3.032p per kWh. We’re keeping our gas standing charge the same. We always drop our prices as quickly as possible, so we’ll drop our gas prices from 1 October.

Electricity costs have increased
Our electricity rate will increase from 14.107p to 16.081p per kWh. And we’re increasing our electricity standing charge from 19.791p to 20.089p per day.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom