Quest 2 Facebook leak - XR2 chipset, 6gb RAM, "almost 4k display"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Mine came within 24 hours. If you have the payment pending email, it will come.

Also looks like you got lucky there just hitting that price reduction and they honoured it for you. I'm so glad I drove straight to CEX as soon as Zuckerburg dropped the price bomb on Wednesday night. Price bomb was like 18:15 ish, I was out the door by 18:25 and at CEX by 18:45! They first wanted to grade it 'in the morning' but then did me a great favour by doing it there and then. I wasn't gonna moan about a £16 downgrade to B as the risk was much bigger leaving it to the next day.

What Ive learned from this is not to bother requesting an A grade, a B is far more likely to be accepted quickly and lessens the chance of intermediate price drops.

Any link for this info please?

https://www.qualcomm.com/news/relea... 6 performance,VR with faster download speeds.

Man of Honour

I was about to say that this just shows that the XR-2 is capable, not necessarily the quest 2, however they specify that it uses the Qualcomm Fastconnect 6800 system... Which seems very interesting indeed.

Am I right in thinking this is 100% conformation of fully utilising this then? No potential for a let down by them not including the - likely more expensive - radios/antenna required for WiFi 6?

Soldato
Hmm it certainly does look as if they are saying WIFI 6 is present in Quest 2, but there's no specs anywhere else on that.

However Im struggling to find out what that means for comparative speed.

The Qualcomm link says Wifi 6 is 1.77 Gbps. However a google search for 'WIFI 6 speed' provides inconsistent results, some sites suggesting up to 10 Gbps.

USB3 has speeds upto about 5Gbps so that is still considerably quicker than WIFI 6. But my Quest 1 never reported speeds of anywhere near 5 Gbps on the test procedure. If I remember correctly I was getting about 1.6-1.8 Gbps.

The data rate of displayport seems to be in the order of 25-30 Gbps which is an immense difference over both of those above.

Soldato
1.77 Gbps is probably what they've acheived, whereas 10Gbps will be more likely theoretical.

USB3 on the link cable is apparently 1.something Gbps, but limited to 500Mbps at the moment I think. Again, I presume the 5Gbps is theoretical limits.

Associate
Hmm it certainly does look as if they are saying WIFI 6 is present in Quest 2, but there's no specs anywhere else on that.

USB3 has speeds upto about 5Gbps so that is still considerably quicker than WIFI 6. But my Quest 1 never reported speeds of anywhere near 5 Gbps on the test procedure. If I remember correctly I was getting about 1.6-1.8 Gbps.
That USB speed limit may have been on the quest side.

The following link indicates the best they found when testing wifi6 was 1523Mbs. That's from Feb this year, so newer routers etc might help that. Given the current quest maxes out @866Mbps, it appears there is surely going to be a good increase.
https://www.cnet.com/news/how-fast-is-wi-fi-6-our-latest-speed-test-results/

Man of Honour
Isn't it the snapdragon 835 that limits the current quest IO to 150mbps? From my reading it is. I'm assuming the Gbps number given for the Fastconnect 6800 is for a similar reason, and will be specced that way due to the low number of antenna that will likely be used with the sort of devices it's going to be used with.

Due to the MIMO nature of all WiFi since A/B/G, the maximum WiFi 6 bandwidth will undoubtedly be calculated using multiple channels/antenna, the same way the current N/AC max bandwidth is calculated per channel.

Regardless, I expect the biggest difference is likely to be a potential to drop the latency down, if improvements around WiFi 6 include the clever network trickery and beam forming I assume they've got going on (haven't looked in to 6 as much as I should have).

Soldato
Yeah the 150 Mbps value was banded about as the limitation of the previous Quest. However when you did a test in the Oculus software, I got circa 1.6 Gbps connection speed and in wireless desktop it was reporting a connection speed of 866 Mbps.

However even if Wifi 6 can deliver say 1.7 Gbps and the chip is capable of processing 1.7 Gbps (that's a big jump up from 150 Mbps), then even those are way behind the 30 Gbps of displayport.

Soldato
Yeah the 150 Mbps value was banded about as the limitation of the previous Quest. However when you did a test in the Oculus software, I got circa 1.6 Gbps connection speed and in wireless desktop it was reporting a connection speed of 866 Mbps.

However even if Wifi 6 can deliver say 1.7 Gbps and the chip is capable of processing 1.7 Gbps (that's a big jump up from 150 Mbps), then even those are way behind the 30 Gbps of displayport.

Which headset needs 30Gbps of data from a displayport?

Man of Honour
Which headset needs 30Gbps of data from a displayport?

Uncompressed 4k video feeds for the fps VR requires are enormous, like, really really massive. I'm not sure how much that really matters though actually, I've never looked in to it before but it does look like displayport uses compression of sorts, or at least supports it. Someone with more knowledge needed :o

Soldato
@Zefan yeah i don't know anything about how this tech works so it will be completely wrong to just look at the raw speeds but that is all the info I have.

Need someone to drop in here willing to have a technical discussion about how this works and what the speed numbers of the various connection methods mean in practice.

Soldato
OP
Not sure if it's been confirmed here, but Quest 2 definitely supports Wifi 6, so it may be that the link cable is not actually needed, and wireless will work well, of course requires virtual desktop.

Carmack explained in the Connect Q&A (held in Horizons) that increased wi-fi bandwidth isn't necessarily the panacea for wireless VR that people think it is. A stable connection depends on a lot of other factors as well as bandwidth. Things like how many times packets need to be re-sent when they're lost, the latency of the wireless encoding and decoding and how congested your wi-fi channels are.

The main thing stopping official wireless PC VR functionality coming to Quest is political - Facebook don't want users experience to be soured by a poor wi-fi connection, so they're reluctant to do it, even if a large number of users would get an acceptable experience.

Carmack is continuing to argue that people are doing this now, with Quest 1 and software, and they find the experience worthwhile, so there is a use case out there, and a dedicated solution (say a specific wirelss dongle on a less congested frequency) would be a good product for some people.

Associate
Tried to sell my daughter's 6 week old Quest at CEX...i classed it as A condition & got a sale on tuesday online for £292.00 valid for 3 days...took it to drop off yesterday & the guy in the shop had a look at it & immediately graded it as B grade offering me 190 quid!!
The reason for the downgrade was that the right controller had a very slight shine to it where your palm touches it...i didn't agree the thing was immaculate...i think they just didn't want to pony up the dough because of the price drop..won't be using CEX again.

Soldato
Carmack explained in the Connect Q&A (held in Horizons) that increased wi-fi bandwidth isn't necessarily the panacea for wireless VR that people think it is. A stable connection depends on a lot of other factors as well as bandwidth. Things like how many times packets need to be re-sent when they're lost, the latency of the wireless encoding and decoding and how congested your wi-fi channels are.

The main thing stopping official wireless PC VR functionality coming to Quest is political - Facebook don't want users experience to be soured by a poor wi-fi connection, so they're reluctant to do it, even if a large number of users would get an acceptable experience.

Carmack is continuing to argue that people are doing this now, with Quest 1 and software, and they find the experience worthwhile, so there is a use case out there, and a dedicated solution (say a specific wirelss dongle on a less congested frequency) would be a good product for some people.

Think it's a fair point from Facebook, not wanting to risk a feature being poor, but if they continue to allow 3rd party apps to offer it, it's still a strength of the quest, but without potential blowback on facebook from the general public.

@Cubby1962 the big price drop wasn't the difference between A and B, it's the fact that CEX have changed their prices now, due to the release.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I was about to say that this just shows that the XR-2 is capable, not necessarily the quest 2, however they specify that it uses the Qualcomm Fastconnect 6800 system... Which seems very interesting indeed.

Am I right in thinking this is 100% conformation of fully utilising this then? No potential for a let down by them not including the - likely more expensive - radios/antenna required for WiFi 6?

Seeing as they cheaped out on the antennas on the original Quest, I wouldn't bank on it.

Our lab actually did a study involving the Quest Wifi (among other devices) and disassembled it - I'll see if I can find the paper (although thinking about it, it might not have been published yet).

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Tried to sell my daughter's 6 week old Quest at CEX...i classed it as A condition & got a sale on tuesday online for £292.00 valid for 3 days...took it to drop off yesterday & the guy in the shop had a look at it & immediately graded it as B grade offering me 190 quid!!
The reason for the downgrade was that the right controller had a very slight shine to it where your palm touches it...i didn't agree the thing was immaculate...i think they just didn't want to pony up the dough because of the price drop..won't be using CEX again.

Who else are you gonna use? I think even selling it privately for 190 would be a good deal now.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Can you link this to your Rift account? I had a Rift S and have around 15 titles.

Yes. When you connect the Quest (or quest 2) to the PC via a Link cable it behaves exactly like a Rift S - same Oculus home, library, store etc.

Soldato

That function in the software is purely testing the bandwidth of the connection.

As you suggested the limitation of 150mbps came from the Snapdragon 835 SoC in terms of how much bandwidth the chip itself could handle and decompress so regardless of how much bandwidth you could give it on the cable that was your hard limit for the link video stream.

Soldato
That function in the software is purely testing the bandwidth of the connection.

The limitation of 150mbps came from the Snapdragon 835 SoC in terms of how much bandwidth the chip itself could handle and decompress so regardless of how much bandwidth you could give it on the cable that was your hard limit for the link video stream.

So what do you think is the chip limit for the XR2 chip in terms of decompression?

And if displayport really does use 30 Gbps, how can USB ever come close?

Soldato
4x the video bandwidth according to Qualcomm, but I believe they are underclocking it significantly from what carmack was saying at connect so how that affects that specific ability remains to be seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom