• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
About their drivers? They've been good for years now, you get the odd buggy set but that's par for the course for either of the 2.

Not necessarily about the drivers (although were some issues), but since their last "Ryzen moment" with R290/x, nothing much has happened. 5700xt was midrange at around high end price, so basically puling a nVIDIA here. I'm not expecting 3080/3090 performance at half the price like it was with R290/x and I would also expect lower RT performance and other stuff lacking.

With that said, if I would be at 4k and concerned about 10GB of vRAM, then I would wait, but other than that... there's no point - at least from how things look now.

Soldato
Rogame et al on Twitter seem pretty convinced that Navi 21 is 16GB of GDDR6 on a 256 bit bus and Navi 22 is 12GB of GDDR6.

I think we can expect Navi 21 to be flirting with 3080 performance levels at around $100 cheaper with 50W less power required.

Even though I don't need one I'll be a bit jealous of Sapphire owners if they come out around that spec. Luckily I don't have the cash at the moment so I won't be tempted :) My 5700XT seems pretty good at 1440p.

Man of Honour
5700xt was midrange at around high end price

I think people hoping AMD will disrupt nVidia pricing are going to be disappointed - apparently TSMC 7nm wafer cost has increased past $10K compared to Samsung's 8nm wafers being around $5K for nVidia. Obviously transistor density and core size/performance will have an impact on the actual per core cost.

Soldato
The 3080 fiasco release has got me thinking AMD do have something interesting now. I cant help but think Nvidia launched with very little stock just to get ahead of AMD, keep hype up for their brand and sell as much as possible before AMD announce what they have.

There cant be any other reason to launch with such low stock they could have waited and stock piled if they wanted to.

Soldato
I think people hoping AMD will disrupt nVidia pricing are going to be disappointed - apparently TSMC 7nm wafer cost has increased past $10K compared to Samsung's 8nm wafers being around $5K for nVidia. Obviously transistor density and core size/performance will have an impact on the actual per core cost.

On one hand, yes, TMSC may be more expensive, but if AMD are using cheaper memory (at least for the similar size cards) and consuming less power (no need for a complex power delivery system, no need for an expensive cooler like the rumors are for nVIDIA), then overall that initial difference / core may not be that significant.

5700xt, in size, is somewhere between 7850 and 7870 (closer to 7850 if I remember correctly), cards which were also on a new process back in the day, but cost a lot more than those. So nVIDIA by pulling up the prices with their cards are essentially pulling up the prices of AMD's cards as well.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats

I hope not. Traditionally they have undercut nvidia, if they dont they will sell minority of users like during Vega. It has to smash them if they want to charge higher.

The 3080 fiasco release has got me thinking AMD do have something interesting now. I cant help but think Nvidia launched with very little stock just to get ahead of AMD, keep hype up for their brand and sell as much as possible before AMD announce what they have.

There cant be any other reason to launch with such low stock they could have waited and stock piled if they wanted to.

I agree, totally. They then get to keep high margins by passing onto AIB so the AIB look bad for jacking prices.

Man of Honour
On one hand, yes, TMSC may be more expensive, but if AMD are using cheaper memory (at least for the similar size cards) and consuming less power (no need for a complex power delivery system, no need for an expensive cooler like the rumors are for nVIDIA), then overall that initial difference / core may not be that significant.

5700xt, in size, is somewhere between 7850 and 7870 (closer to 7850 if I remember correctly), cards which were also on a new process back in the day, but cost a lot more than those. So nVIDIA by pulling up the prices with their cards are essentially pulling up the prices of AMD's cards as well.

There is some speculation that the bigger cards will use HBM - which increases cost due to the complexity + interposer demands. Possibly save some on the cooler costs. Power delivery is another matter but a lot of those parts aren't that expensive unless you use a fancy regulator module with SPI, etc.

Associate
I thought AMD were meant to be ******* stupid for not revealling until October because everyone on the planet was going to buy a 3080 now and the war would be over.

Soldato
I thought AMD were meant to be ******* stupid for not revealling until October because everyone on the planet was going to buy a 3080 now and the war would be over.
exactly, and people who were moaning at AMD seem to be just a little quiet of late hahaha... like i've said before it;'ll be hilarious if AMD release a beast now after the slagging by people they've received and how their doing it all wrong... been saying this they i believe this time know what they're doing and not rushing to market just to get fanboys and keep them happy... i really do think this time, AMD will have a winner here. I won't be buying a 3000 series as tbh i'm slightly deflated after the release tbh

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
It's holding pattern now, isn't it. 3080 benches are in so we now know what AMD's target it. No new rumours or leaks, nothing from AMD, napkin maths and naysaying done to death.
Yeah I know man, I am just messing with you ;)

Won't be long this thread will be one fire also. Hopefully in a good way :p

Soldato
Yeah I know man, I am just messing with you ;)

Won't be long this thread will be one fire also. Hopefully in a good way :p
I think the next thing to come up will be some more info on this supposedly super magic memory management and cache that's somehow making a 384-bit bus unnecessary. Without knowing anything about it, we're going to get "lol fail AMD only have 256-bit that's obviously not enough because Nvidia has 384" and just another thing for detractors to insta-dismiss and pick on.

I'd prefer to say "lol AMD, you always find a way to screw the pooch" after I know 256-bit bus and Infinity Cache is a mistake. If it even proves to be so.

What does slightly concern me is the rumour that Infinity Cache is a thing and 384-bit bus design was scrapped. It could be 384-bit isn't needed becaue IC really is magic, or it could be IC has come in because - yet again - something's gone bad with Big Navi's design and implementation so a workaround has been put in place.

Not doing a 80 CU model because yields weren't viable is one thing, to cancel a memory bus width that's commonplace on top-tier cards is quite another.

Soldato
I see you are already prepared :p:D
Dude, I've said before that I'm riding this hype train hard whichever way it goes. I'll enjoy the cataclysmic fireball at the end just as much as crashing through Nvidia's station and humiliating the haters :p it's just a graphics card, it doesn't mean anything significant in my life. It's the fanbois, trolls and petulant naysayers when discussing these things that get my goat (and suspensions) ;)

Soldato
Do you think that AMD should use a surprise pre-order (similar to what sony did with the PS5) to minimise the number of scalpers with bots being able to buy out all the stock?

Soldato
no, just chuck in a one per customer rule and some sort of captcha. If stock is low, tell people and let people preorder for later deliveries earlier than when they go live.

On their own site, a week before going live, a randomised lottery system could work (like festival tickets sometimes do) but that would be a high expectation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom