• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Caporegime
Well this launch was a doosey, well done Nvidia, you just made me wait to see what AMD do :D
Nvidia honestly deserve to get **** for this, their stunt was way worse than I expected and the whole "we didn't expect this level of demand" is an insult to everyone's intelligence. Of course they knew the hype and demand and they exploited it mercilessly. Shame on them, even by the usual standards of this industry.

Caporegime
hey matey, nice to see you posting on the graphics forum again.

I think the hate can be boiled down to a number of factors, i think the 3080 FE card is decent but there are a number of niggles.

a) only 2GB more vram on the 3080 than the 1080 (launched 4 1/2 years ago)
b) the 3080 chip appears to be running at its limits, the 1080 clearly was not, had plenty of headroom and ran very cool
c) All the AIB launch cards appear to be f-ugly compared to the 1080 launch, might as well buy the 3080 FE. 1080 FE was f-ugly
d) there is a sense (just a sense) that AMD might be competitive with their new card, with a nice looking design and 16GB VRAM
e) 2080ti was a con, price wise, i am not sure all buyers were expecting the depreciation to be as brutal but that's AMD's competition starting to bite. 1080ti was a great card.

All the above was not an issue for the 1080/ti launch whereas it is for the 3080 launch.
Hey Besty. Fair points and I do see the card is on its limits, which does make the gap even less between the 2 series GPUs. VRAM wise, I would be happy personally with 10GB but again, I see why people feel cheated and yea, a hot running power hungry behemoth! The GTX480 was a poor card thermally and took the 580 to correct that. I do hope AMD have a decent GPU to give some 'much needed' competition.

The more I think about it, the more inclined I am skipping this gen and seeing what the next round brings.

Associate
Nvidia honestly deserve to get **** for this, their stunt was way worse than I expected and the whole "we didn't expect this level of demand" is an insult to everyone's intelligence. Of course they knew the hype and demand and they exploited it mercilessly. Shame on them, even by the usual standards of this industry.
Amen to that, as I said previously I didn;t think anything could be worse than the I9 launch couple of years back... boy I got that soo wrong. I think Nvidia should be absolutely crucified for that launch and Oc and others didn;t cover themselves in glitter either.

Associate
this. I can't understand why they don't do this, and link it to an active forum account with 500+ posts so you can only get one item only, (ie to prevent non-legit people opening multiple accounts to try and snag loads for ebay purposes)
Damn. Only another 498 posts to go (now, if they based it on when you joined the forum, I'd be fine!)

Soldato
I managed to get an order in with a competitor yesterday. Decided to go for an EVGA card (if it ever actually materialises!) so I could take advantage of the 90 day step up program thing that I've never actually used before.

This is just in case Nvidia do decide to release a Ti or higher Vram version sooner rather than later, and I might want that. Given their blatantly shady FE launch yesterday I wouldn't put anything past them. We'd moan but like idiots still buy them!

Anyone else gone EVGA for this reason???

Associate
I would have been annoyed if they linked it to the forum, they seem to have removed my forum account ive had for the last 10 years with 1000s of posts, i had to dig out this newer one. I contacted them to ask what happened but they ignored it.

Last edited:
Soldato
I managed to get an order in with a competitor yesterday. Decided to go for an EVGA card (if it ever actually materialises!) so I could take advantage of the 90 day step up program thing that I've never actually used before.

This is just in case Nvidia do decide to release a Ti or higher Vram version sooner rather than later, and I might want that. Given their blatantly shady FE launch yesterday I wouldn't put anything past them. We'd moan but like idiots still buy them!

Anyone else gone EVGA for this reason???

I wanted to go with EVGA for the FTW3/Ultra as their cards and warranty system are great (and the step up program), but the absurd pricing and big delays as well as rumored super low UK allocation made me go MSI for a change.

Associate
How long do nvidia generally sell the FE cards for? And do the prices fluctuate on their site?

The prices on FE cards never fluctuate, but the stock levels are very unpredictable and it can be several months between batches, if they bother to restock at all. If you're dead set on FE then all you can really do is sign up to be notified and see what happens.

Associate
Went through hell last night to get an MSI OC 3080. Sitting in a hospital bed with slow internet connection refreshing the nvidia site to get an FE 3080 but the site crawled to a halt by 2pm and by the time my page refreshed once all stock was gone.

So i jumped the ocuk store, that was repeatedly going down, so fast that you couldnt make it past checkout.

After an extended reboot, got to cards list, no more stock, but saw the MSI stock expected the next day. And i dont get out of hospital for another few days at least, so all in all that works well for me.

Back
Top Bottom