Le Mans 2020

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Starting a fresh thread for this year’s Le Mans 24 hrs which is this weekend. As I did last year, I’ll just kick off a thread to get things going and start posting resources for watching at home (a lot of this is copy and paste from last year)

Free practice:
UK times:
P1: Thursday 17th 9:00am-12:00pm.
P2: Thursday 1:00pm-4:00pm
P3: Thursday 7:00pm-11:00pm
P4: Friday 9:00am-10:00am

Qualifying:
Slightly different quali format this year. New format called Hyperpole, according to Wikipedia. One single 45-minute quali session late Thursday afternoon will determine the field, except for 24 cars, the top six cars in each category. Top six cars in each class participate in a 30-minute shootout on Friday morning, known as "Le Mans Hyperpole". The shootout will determine the top six in each category.

Quali times:
Q1: Hyperpole session 4:15pm-5:00pm UK time Thursday
Q2: Shootout 10:30am-11am UK time on Friday

Race:
Race starts Saturday 19th September 2:30pm Central European Time, or 1:30pm UK time. NOTE THE EARLIER START TIME THAN NORMAL

Morning warm up session 9:30am-9:45am UK time / support race 10:15am-11:10am

Coverage:

Eurosport and through the FIA WEC app as usual.

Highest quality 24 hr commentary is through Radio Le Mans broadcast online. It’s usually best to watch one of the race feeds with the sound muted and Radio Le Mans playing over the top.

Resources:
Will continue to add links as I find them.

Main site: http://www.24h-lemans.com/en/

Background and entry list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_24_Hours_of_Le_Mans

Spotters Guide (to ID car entry numbers, liveries etc - click the pic in the link for the big PDF): https://spotterguides.com/portfolio/20_lm/

Best Le Mans 24hrs commentary is Radio Le Mans: http://www.radiolemans.co/

^ Try http://radiolemans.0157.org/nplayer.php if the listen live link is broken. RS1 is usually the main channel.

Watch online (not free to watch in the UK):

FIA site and app: https://www.fiawec.com/en/live €9.99 (I think, check this) for race weekend with excellent resources. Used this in 2019 and it was excellent coverage, no adverts and ability to flick between team onboards. Streams to TV no problem on Chromecast. Official J69 recommendation.

Eurosport and Eurosport Player. Just a warning, I got the 7 day free trial of Eurosport Player in 2018 and the feed was terrible and it cut off every hour or so. When I paid for it a few years ago it was a bandwidth hog. Both times I ended up using an illegal feed instead, to either get rid of the stuttering or whatever the other reasons were that I’ve forgotten about. Reminder that the repetitive Eurosport adverts become UNBEARABLE. I’m not sure I can recommend it. Eurosport available through Amazon Prime for £6.99 in 2020.

MotorTrend On Demand (they do Roadkill etc on subscription) broadcast the race in 2019 but I think it might be geoblocked in the UK this year. Check before paying... There is a 14 day free trial which included the race in 2019. American viewers last year said quali was included too. Download the app and sign up; may also be broadcast direct on their website, though still behind the paywall/geoblock. Don’t forget to cancel the trial...

There is always a feed on Race Department. I’m still not sure if this is legal or hooky, but they host it every year: https://www.racedepartment.com/

Most of the teams broadcast live onboards from their cars for free for the full 24 hrs and are well worth a look. Easiest ones to find are Porsche and Corvette. As last year, I’ll post links if I have time to find them.

There are probably loads of mistakes here so please reply with corrections and I'll fix this post.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Completely forgot about LeMans happening late this year.

Some interesting line ups. Shame that Ant got shafted by Toyota and he's now in LMP2.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
Quick look at the entries...

5 P1 cars
24 P2 cars. Yes, twenty four! Should be a good bunfight!
8 GTE Pro
22 GTE Am

P1 will probably be won by Toyota as there's no real competition at their level/budget. If their cars die, which does happen a lot, Rebellion might be there to pick up the pieces.

P2 cars are fast these days, they're reliable, the racing is good and there are a LOT of them. Any problems in the P1 class and there's a good chance a P2 can win over all. One came pretty close in 2017...

GTE Pro field is small and just Ferrari v Porsche v Aston this year. Two factory Porsche cars, two factory Astons, two factory Ferraris and two customer Ferraris. No Corvettes in the race at all this year. I haven't been following the series this year so I don't know what's happened there.

GTE Am field is only Ferraris, Porsches and Astons. Total of 12 Ferrari 488s, 8 Porsche 911 RSRs and 2 Aston Martin Vantages. That's a LOT of Ferraris entered, more than I think I've seen since before the Corvette days when even the Italian teams started ditching Ferraris for Corvettes. Should be some good battles in this field as there are a lot of closely matched cars.

Associate
Just an fyi for those with Amazon prime and Amazon prime accessible on their tvs.

You can get a 7 day free trial of Eurosport channels through the Amazon prime app so will cover you for the lemans weekend. The amazon stream is of pretty good quality when watching yesterday and last night.

Commissario
Looks like it's on Eurosport on Sky as well. The only Sports channel I pay for is F1 but I get Eurosport so I can only assume it's part of a standard package somewhere.

Associate
Interesting Hyperpole with Rebellion so close in the LMP1 laps, only a second off fastest ever Le Mans lap.

Looked like Toyota were on to beat the 2017 time with the last lap before it was interrupted.

Part of me is glad that it wasn't taken this year so the year i went in 2017 still had the fastest lap time :) (and of course the incredible Aston vs Vette finish which is one of the best motorsport or sporting moments i have been able to see live!)

Soldato
Interesting Hyperpole with Rebellion so close in the LMP1 laps, only a second off fastest ever Le Mans lap.

Looked like Toyota were on to beat the 2017 time with the last lap before it was interrupted.

Part of me is glad that it wasn't taken this year so the year i went in 2017 still had the fastest lap time :) (and of course the incredible Aston vs Vette finish which is one of the best motorsport or sporting moments i have been able to see live!)

2017 was a good year, though I spent most of it in the bar because it was too bloody hot to go stomping around.

Soldato
Just an fyi for those with Amazon prime and Amazon prime accessible on their tvs.

You can get a 7 day free trial of Eurosport channels through the Amazon prime app so will cover you for the lemans weekend. The amazon stream is of pretty good quality when watching yesterday and last night.

Good tip, thanks. I don’t have Eurosport otherwise as I don’t have Sky.

Soldato

Cheers!:D Thats just made watching the 24 a lot easier!

Soldato

I've used the trial through Amazon Prime too. Saves my normal search...

JRS

JRS

Soldato
MotorTrend On Demand (they do Roadkill etc on subscription) broadcast the race in 2019 but I think it might be geoblocked in the UK this year. Check before paying... There is a 14 day free trial which included the race in 2019. American viewers last year said quali was included too. Download the app and sign up; may also be broadcast direct on their website, though still behind the paywall/geoblock. Don’t forget to cancel the trial...

Far as I can tell, it's not geoblocked :)

Back
Top Bottom