• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
Scum. He didnt realise that he didnt want 5 cards anymore and is just keeping 2. Yeah, by using the money the 5 cards sell for to pay for his whole pc.

He'll make a few £k profit off that, can't expect people not to do such things, it's not illegal. It's more the retailers not being prepared for the insane demand. Makes me wonder why Nvidia doesn't supply Amazon with millions of 3080's etc, as GLHF taking down Amazon's site. Would be far better for us consumers. Remember OCUK is German owned as well, not like we're supporting a Uk owned business here either way :p

Caporegime
Here is a very apt piece of GN's latest video where he talks about consumerism in the PC industry... 3:15, Consumerish, Unhealthy Hype & Marketing

"It's not food or water".

Caporegime
He'll make a few £k profit off that, can't expect people not to do such things, it's not illegal. It's more the retailers not being prepared for the insane demand. Makes me wonder why Nvidia doesn't supply Amazon with millions of 3080's etc, as GLHF taking down Amazon's site. Would be far better for us consumers. Remember OCUK is German owned as well, not like we're supporting a Uk owned business here either way :p

Not illegal no, but immoral yes and nobody believes his story that he went to all the effort to be logged on loads of retailers sites and F5 and managed to buy 5 cards and spend over £3k and then an hour later he decides hes not building a machine with 5 cards inside anymore.

At least he could just be honest,. I saw an opportunity to make some money and I took it,.

Associate

I get it now....They have ways of making us order....

Associate
It would save a lot of stress and hassle if first day sales were done by lottery; the website wouldnt crash and you wouldnt be able to get more than one card from the same retailer.

Caporegime
Not illegal no, but immoral yes and nobody believes his story that he went to all the effort to be logged on loads of retailers sites and F5 and managed to buy 5 cards and spend over £3k and then an hour later he decides hes not building a machine with 5 cards inside anymore.

At least he could just be honest,. I saw an opportunity to make some money and I took it,.

Beyond the lie (yes he should have just been honest as he isn't fooling anyone), how is it immoral? It's a graphics card...

Soldato
Here is a very apt piece of GN's latest video where he talks about consumerism in the PC industry...

This is so true. Waiting a few months, maybe a little longer, isn't realistically going to ruin most people's lives. I get that we all like shiny new things, but all these people losing their **** over a new piece of tech is a bit ridiculous imo. I'll wait until nearer Christmas when hype has died down a bit, prices should be back to MSRP and I can make a proper educated comparison between the 30-series cards and RDNA2.

Caporegime
Scum. He didnt realise that he didnt want 5 cards anymore and is just keeping 2. Yeah, by using the money the 5 cards sell for to pay for his whole pc.
Yea, read that and laughed. No way he bagged 5 and then thought.... Actually, I have changed my mind lol :D People who are clued up couldn't get one, let alone 5.

Caporegime
Beyond the lie (yes he should have just been honest as he isn't fooling anyone), how is it immoral? It's a graphics card...

What does it matter that its a graphics card? Its immoral imo.

Years ago when HP were selling off their PDAs and they dropped the price from £450 to £99 and I had access to be able to buy 20 from my IT supplier I bought all 20 and sold them at cost to ocuk forum members. They were selling for up to £300 each on Ebay. I could have made £4k from having my contacts but I chose not to,

Caporegime
This is so true. Waiting a few months, maybe a little longer, isn't realistically going to ruin most people's lives. I get that we all like shiny new things, but all these people losing their **** over a new piece of tech is a bit ridiculous imo. I'll wait until nearer Christmas when hype has died down a bit, prices should be back to MSRP and I can make a proper educated comparison between the 30-series cards and RDNA2.

Why blame it on the consumer? Why can't these multi-billion dollar companies just produce enough stock before putting the card on sale? The consumer craziness is only there because nVidia set up a false supply and demand. They themselves could have pushed the launch back a few weeks and then maybe we would have had a 5-minute window to buy an FE card off of their site, instead of a millisecond.

Soldato

By Christmas, much of Europe is likely to be in a huge Covid outbreak (European cases & hospitalisations are way up, and winter is coming....). Good luck getting supply through then.

Caporegime
What does it matter that its a graphics card? Its immoral imo.

But how? It is the cornerstone of how everything works. Retailers are doing the same, just that they will be fighting with suppliers for more stock to sell at inflated prices whilst they can. No one needs a 3080 right now, this instant. No one is being forced to buy one at an inflated price. There is no "moral" problem. If it was vital medicine or vital and limited food/water then yes i think it would be a moral problem. This is simply an extravagant luxury though.

Do you get upset and think it is immoral if someone was to buy an old Ferrari with a view to sell it for loads of profit in a decade?

I could have made £4k from having my contacts but I chose not to,

I mean that is a nice thing to do, but it doesn't make trying to make a profit on something like a graphics card immoral.

Caporegime

If it goes like the 1000 series though, they never ever did come back to MSRP. Only those who got them on the original feeding frenzy first day ended up paying MSRP.

Current price becomes the new norm as demand remains strong.

G J

G J

Associate
You do realise that people that have the knowledge to make scipts that put false bids on auctions also proberly could have made scripts with the launch of the new cards.

Seems like some people got salty when their scripts didnt beat others people scripts and now enact some sort of revenge while you all praise and cheer them on.

Awaits more bragging on how much people got for their second hand cards while getting mad at scalpers.

Back
Top Bottom