• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Caporegime
But how? It is the cornerstone of how everything works. Retailers are doing the same, just that they will be fighting with suppliers for more stock to sell at inflated prices whilst they can. No one needs a 3080 right now, this instant. No one is being forced to buy one at an inflated price. There is no "moral" problem. If it was vital medicine or vital and limited food/water then yes i think it would be a moral problem. This is simply an extravagant luxury though.

Do you get upset and think it is immoral if someone was to buy an old Ferrari with a view to sell it for loads of profit in a decade?

I mean that is a nice thing to do, but it doesn't make trying to make a profit on something like a graphics card immoral.

Well thats where we have to disagree then. Lots of retailers didnt increase from the MSRP, lots of people didnt try and cash in on the shortage and thought they would buy 5 and sell them at a profit.

Caporegime
@DampCat Yes mate and glad that guy has done that. I have no issue with someone making a few quid but using a bot to do someone out of a genuine sale is a little low in my book.

Edit: As in those who used bots to buy stock, not the guy who's bot is bidding on Ebay.

Soldato
Why blame it on the consumer? Why can't these multi-billion dollar companies just produce enough stock before putting the card on sale? The consumer craziness is only there because nVidia set up a false supply and demand. They themselves could have pushed the launch back a few weeks and then maybe we would have had a 5-minute window to buy an FE card off of their site, instead of a millisecond.

Oh I totally agree on this, companies frequently deliberately limit stock to increase hype and generate media coverage of their new products. It's a scummy tactic and it's something I blame Apple for, they've been doing it for years and other companies have cottoned on to it. Having said that though, some (not all) consumers are helping to feed this by getting so suckered into the hype that they lose all objectivity. Paying a significant premium on products just so that you can have it now rather than waiting (e.g. people buying from the scalpers or being willing to pay the inflated retailer prices) is encouraging these companies to maintain their practices around product launches.

Caporegime
You do realise that people that have the knowledge to make scipts that put false bids on auctions also proberly could have done it with the launch of new cards right.

Seems like some people got salty when their scripts didnt beat others people scripts and now enact some sort of revenge while you all praise and cheer them on.

Awaits more bragging on how much people got for their second hand cards while getting mad at scalpers.

Or the guy who wrote the script trashing peoples listing on Ebay has his own cards that he scalped listed on there ;)

Soldato
You do realise that people that have the knowledge to make scipts that put false bids on auctions also proberly could have done it with the launch of new cards right.

Seems like some people got salty when their scripts didnt beat others people scripts and now enact some sort of revenge while you all praise and cheer them on.

Awaits more bragging on how much people got for their second hand cards while getting mad at scalpers.

You do realise that people who have the knowledge to make scripts to put false bids on eBay that also have the knowledge to put bids on items at launch also have the knowledge to buy items second hand and are both scalpers, scalpees and vendors all at once probably

If you want to apply your logic to anything, then anyone is capable of anything and should never be cheered on ever, just in case.

Associate
Beyond the lie (yes he should have just been honest as he isn't fooling anyone), how is it immoral? It's a graphics card...

Attitudes like your's are part of the problem. Of course it's immoral. It doesn't matter if it's tickets , or trainers, or consoles or PC hardware. Scalpers are leeches who exploit genuine demand from genuine consumers making a profit based on lack of supply, whether temporary as with 3080s, or permanent with concert tickets or limited run items. For every 3080 bought yesterday by a scalper there is a genuine consumer who won't be able to get the item they wanted. They add nothing to society but prevent genuine fans and enthusiasts enjoying many things. Utter scum. I for one would have no issue if it was illegal.

Caporegime
Having said that though, some (not all) consumers are helping to feed this by getting so suckered into the hype that they lose all objectivity. Paying a significant premium on products just so that you can have it now rather than waiting (e.g. people buying from the scalpers or being willing to pay the inflated retailer prices) is encouraging these companies to maintain their practices around product launches.

Agreed, I've seen a number of posters who've paid over the odds just to have a card today or because they missed out on a 3080 they're now looking to buy a 3090, that'll surely teach nVidia a lesson! :D

Caporegime
Well thats where we have to disagree then. Lots of retailers didnt increase from the MSRP, lots of people didnt try and cash in on the shortage and thought they would buy 5 and sell them at a profit.

But "cashing in" on things is literally the cornerstone of how our society and capitalism works. Everyone and every company is, generally, trying to get as much money from the consumer as possible. I think it is immensely naive to think otherwise.

People are just trying to make some more money, and as it is an extravagant luxury such as this i see no moral problem with it at all.

Caporegime
I for one would have no issue if it was illegal.

Neither would I, if it was fairly implemented across the whole of society.

That would be impossible though as it would destroy the very ethos of free market capitalism.

The main problem is that the consumer is its own worst enemy. It is very easy just to say "No i am not paying that for that luxury that i don't need. I will simply wait"

Caporegime
But "cashing in" on things is literally the cornerstone of how our society and capitalism works. Everyone and every company is, generally, trying to get as much money from the consumer as possible. I think it is immensely naive to think otherwise.

People are just trying to make some more money, and as it is an extravagant luxury such as this i see no moral problem with it at all.

Well again we will just have to disagree. Capitalism is one thing but what you are describing is another level. What that guy did is the same as ticket touts.

I don;t have much time for the people like that and view them all as been immoral and scum. Fine if you are happy to buy from them but because people like you accept them then they continue to exist.

Caporegime
Fine if you are happy to buy from them but because people like you accept them then they continue to exist.

This is where you have got me wrong. I would NEVER buy from them and neither should anyone else. I am probably one of the worlds biggest deal hunters! I hate paying over the odds for anything!

They are simply preying on the "want". But then so is basically every other company.

Caporegime
Neither would I, if it was fairly implemented across the whole of society.

That would be impossible though as it would destroy the very ethos of free market capitalism.

The main is is that the consumer is its own worst enemy. It is very easy just to say "No i am not paying that for that luxury that i don't need. I will simply wait"
Jono, I realise you are doing your best to sound knowledgeable about our capitalist society, but having regulation and restrictions is also a vital part of capitalism, and having them does not destroy the "very ethos" of it.

You can not link every principle of morality to the fact we live in a capitalist society. "Oh, we live in a capitalist society so scalping people is not immoral!". Erm, no.

It may not be illegal to scalp, but it IS immoral and low on ethics and I think the vast majority of people can agree on that principle. If you see nothing wrong with it whatsoever, then it's ultimately a sign that your own moral compass is somewhat skewed.

Caporegime
It may not be illegal to scalp, but it IS immoral and I think the vast majority of people can agree on that.

I disagree. No one is forced to pay over the odds from the "scalpers" for things they dont intrinsically need. If no one bought from the scalpers, the scalpers wouldn't exist.

As i said, it is different for certain things (medicine/ppe supplies etc) as that does raise a real moral issue.

Soldato

Just another reason where capitalism stinks. Not saying I want communism, just something a bit better than what we have.

Caporegime
But I don't agree with companies increasing the price either. Good ethical ones don;t.

How do you determine how much profit is reasonable for a company to make then? Like what sort of figure is ethical/moral to you? What do you define as a reasonable mark up for a shop to put on products?

Soldato
Must be plenty of non forum member sales that OCUK sell to, but they knew how much stock they had so could have assessed by creating a register for forum members who wanted one and doled those out from the limited stock. Unless of course that broke NDA for pre orders. A definately interested list. Prolly harder to do than I envisage.

Maybe OCUK staff are going through the orders now and getting previous customers and forum mebers swapped for bot purchases - though they risk not attracting new customers

Last edited:
Soldato
Agreed, I've seen a number of posters who've paid over the odds just to have a card today or because they missed out on a 3080 they're now looking to buy a 3090, that'll surely teach nVidia a lesson! :D
I'm one of them but was only considering a 3080 :D yesterday but if I had got through to actually check out (FE) I would probably have just gone ahead with it. If it's action replay again next week I'm not buying anything for a while, especially if the bots take over again and proven that's the case again.

Back
Top Bottom