Alex Scott - Question of sport

Caporegime
So according to Gary Lineker “if you have a problem with Alex getting the job, you might just be part of the problem.”

I can't stand her accent so I won't be watching but because of that I'm part of some sort of problem, do we have to like everything nowadays?

It's so lazy to blame it on racism.
he's a moron and it's ridiculous people get paid monster wages at the BBC.

they should have a limit of like 250k even for top "talent" :rolleyes:

how many presenting jobs are there in the UK that pay such a high wage? it can't be that many
BBC might have to turn it self in to a talent breeding station for a few years as people hop to other networks.

but there surely would have to be a point a few years down the line where the ex BBC presenters have flooded the market and drove wages down to a point where people realise just how good a wage they are on and if they leave they might not get anywhere near as good a job.

Man of Honour
I think you're reading far too much into this.

Sue Barker is in the entertainment business. People in those roles get replaced all the time. Sometimes they will be replaced by black people.
No but I think you missed the direction of my comment. I wasn't referring to Sue Barker. Indeed I had said earlier in this thread that I thought that Sue Barker was sacked because of her age and didn't mention race. Instead I was referring to you laughing at another poster because they thought the colour of a persons skin could impact their career. I was giving first hand evidence of that.

Soldato
No but I think you missed the direction of my comment. I wasn't referring to Sue Barker. Indeed I had said earlier in this thread that I thought that Sue Barker was sacked because of her age and didn't mention race. Instead I was referring to you laughing at another poster because they thought the colour of a persons skin could impact their career. I was giving first hand evidence of that.

I was laughing at the other poster's efforts to deflect from the fact that despite all the outrage, in all likelihood, the reason Sue Barker was replaced has nothing to do with skin colour.

Soldato
And you would have been complaining about it for the last 15 years. FACT!

behave. If Kammy was ever sacked from Soccer Saturday I'd be of the same opinion. Like a lot of people in this thread you don't seem to get it. Most people actually quite like Alex Scott, it's not about her specifically getting this job, it's more about white people having to make way for BAME quotas or the situations where the best person for the job doesn't get it because of their skin colour. Couldn't care less whether Alex Scott is black or not, I just want these virtue signalling companies to get rid of their quotas.

Soccer Saturday / Question of Sport / Anything BBC or Netflix. People are fed up of it.

Soldato
Where can we see this prediction?

It wasn't on here, we were discussing it in the office yesterday.

I don't want to take anything away from her, she might have been the best person for the job. But given the BBCs track record of late, it was very predicable what kind of person it would be.

I'm sure that if there were any sports personalities who trumped her on the D.I.E religion identity score card, they would have been first choice.

I'm sure her nice new wage packet will help erase the shame of not knowing why you got the job.

Soldato
It wasn't on here, we were discussing it in the office yesterday.

I don't want to take anything away from her, she might have been the best person for the job. But given the BBCs track record of late, it was very predicable what kind of person it would be.

I'm sure that if there were any sports personalities who trumped her on the D.I.E religion identity score card, they would have been first choice.

I'm sure her nice new wage packet will help erase the shame of not knowing why you got the job.

Blimey, you are what you drink - are you a bitter man?

Soldato
I was laughing at the other poster's efforts to deflect from the fact that despite all the outrage, in all likelihood, the reason Sue Barker was replaced has nothing to do with skin colour.

she was replaced becasue she got old, and her fapability score went too low....................... also pointy elbows.

Soldato
Its not like she is an unknown.
Scott was appointed Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE) in the 2017 New Year Honours for services to football

Alexandra Virina Scott
MBE (born 14 October 1984) is an English former footballer who mostly played as a right-back for Arsenal in the FA WSL, pundit and presenter. She made 140 appearances for the English national team and also represented Great Britain at the 2012 London Olympics.

At club level, Scott has had three separate spells with Arsenal, punctuated with a season at Birmingham City in 2004–05 and three years in the American Women's Professional Soccer (WPS) with Boston Breakers. She scored the winning goal for Arsenal in the 2007 UEFA Women's Cup Final.

Currently, she has a career in broadcasting, notably appearing as a pundit during the 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup.

Scott began her media career while still playing football, appearing on programs such as Soccer AM with other minor roles at BBC Sport, BT Sport, and Sky Sports. In 2016 Scott was featured in Bear Grylls' ITV show, Mission Survive where she won.

Following Scott's retirement in 2017, she turned her focus full-time to television broadcasting, co-presenting on Match of the Day Kickabout.

She became well known to a wider audience when she covered the 2018 FIFA World Cup, becoming the first female football pundit at a World Cup for the BBC. After the tournament, she continued to provide insight on the Premier League, and in August 2018 became the first female pundit on Sky Sports, joining the Super Sunday team.

She covered the 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup for the BBC. In August 2019, Scott was announced as the new co-host of Sky Sports' Goals on Sunday alongside Chris Kamara.

In 2011, Scott started 'The Alex Scott Academy' in partnership with Kingston College and Puma, for female footballers aged 16–19 years. This represented the first such academy in the UK and was intended to highlight the growth of the women's game. Scott also wrote a weekly women's football column in the Morning Star newspaper.

Soldato
If you don't stick up for Sue Barker when she gets fired to be replaced with someone of the correct skin colour then who will stick up for you when you get fired for someone with the right immutable characteristics?

Did you get so fired up when Miriam O'Reilly was dropped from Countryfile?

I notice you did not answer. So how about when Clare Balding replaced Peter Purves as the presenter of Crufts?

Commissario
If Sue Barker was black she would still be in the job. fact.
Really it's a fact?

She's been in the role for 23 years, that's longer than many people's primary career, and in an industry where not only the role but the format and indeed the entire show will be looked at in regards to being dropped/changed every year there aren't many people that stay in the same role, on the same program for anything like that long. I believe most such personal tend to work on the principle that their is no role for them past their current contract because it's so common for them to be dropped/cancelled.

The only other people I can think who are currently on TV in a similar role for a similar period of time are Ian Hislop and Paul Merton on Have I got new news for you.
Given it seems like all 3 of the primary faces of the show are going it sounds very much like the series was probably going to be axed if there was no revamp.

Commissario

That makes it sound almost like she's basically at the same (or more advanced) point in her TV career as the person she was replacing was 24 years ago..
I'm going to laugh so much if it turns out that part of the reason for the change is she's cheaper given how much people complain about what the BBC pays, despite the BBC typically paying less, often far less than any of the commercial companies for the same sort of role.

Soldato
That makes it sound almost like she's basically at the same (or more advanced) point in her TV career as the person she was replacing was 24 years ago..
I'm going to laugh so much if it turns out that part of the reason for the change is she's cheaper given how much people complain about what the BBC pays, despite the BBC typically paying less, often far less than any of the commercial companies for the same sort of role.
And how long before she's in court claiming discrimination as Sue barker was paid more for the same role.

Soldato
When that becomes a thing come back to us. Or are you channeling Mystic Meg?

Hang on, didn't Dale Winton take over the lottery show? He was tanned. I smell a conspiracy!
Well I was right about the new QOS host, so maybe.

And gays aren't a protected group anymore, it's all about the trans and non binary now, or as Douglas Murray calls them, the "look at me!"

Soldato
Meh, a question of sport is a how that's in desperate need of an overhaul and Sue Barker is getting a bit long in the tooth to be presenting a sports show so a younger face might be what the doctor ordered. I don't know much about Alex Scott as I don't watch Women football but good luck to her.

Back
Top Bottom