Oculus Quest 2 v HP Reverb G2?

Associate
The VR experience seems to be gaining more interest, and with me. I would like to get another VR headset after upgrading my GPU to a RTX 3080. My original Oculus Rift is really showing its age in terms of technology and the display is rubbish compared to the latest VRs. I was seriously thinking of the HP Reverb G2, but now with the Oculus Quest 2 soon to appear, I am having second thoughts. OK, the Quest 2 is not as high res as the 2160x2160 Reverb G2, but the Quest 2 1832x1920 res is very close. At that close would you even notice the difference? OK, maybe you would, but only just. Several plus's for the Quest 2 is that it is standalone, no PC required, but you can connect it to a PC, for PC based VR games and sims. The Reverb G2 has to be tethered to a PC, so not standalone. Now this is a huge plus for the Quest 2, the price, only £299! The Reverb G2 will be about £599! Is the Reverb G2 really worth paying £300 more for it!? Another small plus with the Quest 2 is that you can order through Curry's PCW, and pick up from your local store. Important to me, as I hate waiting in for parcel deliveries. Thoughts please.

Associate
I've literally just ordered the quest 2 mainly because I had a vive and didn't like the resolution and the room it's in isn't up to the job of vr. So I've been waiting on wireless vr that matches the index. The quest 2 does that so I can use it on pc for iracing and the living room for vr gaming with the kids etc. The reverb looks amazing and I really wanted it but it wouldn't work for my situation. I guess if my pc was in the front room I'd be looking at a reverb but the quest is too compelling for me. Hopefully it doesn't dissapoint.

Associate
Originally coming from a Rift CV1 I currently own a Quest 1 (which I'm about to sell) and have pre-ordered the Quest 2 as I love the stand alone nature of the headset but being able to also use it as a PCVR headset is a bonus for me as I like the best of both worlds.

I'm eventually expecting good things from Quest2 on the link front with 90Hz refresh coming down the line and hopefully via a better wireless solution which was my preferred way of linking to my PC via Virtual Desktop.

Saying that though unless they can sort out the compression issue on the Quest2 (which I'm hopeful will be the case) you are always going to get a better PCVR experience from a dedicated PCVR headset like the G2 which has direct video input connection to your PC and not a compress/decompress solution like the Quest headsets.
Is the G2's bump up in quality worth the extra £300 over the Quest 2 for PC use, right now probably but I think Oculus will close the gap in Link quality with the Quest 2 but we're not going to know for a while yet.

Soldato
It's a bit of an unknown quantity just how good the new Quest will be for PC VR.

I don't think it'll ever be as good as high-end native PC VR purely because the image has to be compressed and theres an overhead for that in the additional load on the GPU, the image quality will suffer, and of course there's a bit of latency.

It could probably get as good as or better than the Rift S, but I doubt it could match the Index or G2.

Soldato
It's a bit of an unknown quantity just how good the new Quest will be for PC VR.

I don't think it'll ever be as good as high-end native PC VR purely because the image has to be compressed and theres an overhead for that in the additional load on the GPU, the image quality will suffer, and of course there's a bit of latency.

It could probably get as good as or better than the Rift S, but I doubt it could match the Index or G2.
Why couldn't they just have had it with a dp connector. I don't know, but I'm skeptical of the link cable myself and I saw a video that claimed the original quest actually requires more gpu power then the reverb g2 which is insane.
Guess I'll likely just get a reverb once the prices drop a bit. For now quite happy with the Rift S tbh it looks pretty dam good with a little ss.

Soldato
The VR experience seems to be gaining more interest, and with me. I would like to get another VR headset after upgrading my GPU to a RTX 3080. My original Oculus Rift is really showing its age in terms of technology and the display is rubbish compared to the latest VRs. I was seriously thinking of the HP Reverb G2, but now with the Oculus Quest 2 soon to appear, I am having second thoughts. OK, the Quest 2 is not as high res as the 2160x2160 Reverb G2, but the Quest 2 1832x1920 res is very close. At that close would you even notice the difference? OK, maybe you would, but only just. Several plus's for the Quest 2 is that it is standalone, no PC required, but you can connect it to a PC, for PC based VR games and sims. The Reverb G2 has to be tethered to a PC, so not standalone. Now this is a huge plus for the Quest 2, the price, only £299! The Reverb G2 will be about £599! Is the Reverb G2 really worth paying £300 more for it!? Another small plus with the Quest 2 is that you can order through Curry's PCW, and pick up from your local store. Important to me, as I hate waiting in for parcel deliveries. Thoughts please.

So as someone who just recently sold their quest, is considering a Quest 2 (here on referred to as Q2) and also has a G2 on pre-order these are my thoughts. Obviously bear in mind that neither has released so pinch of salt required... this is all based on other peoples opinions in previews except where I mention personal experience. It will start with the positives of the G2 over the Q2 and then move on to the reverse so don't think I'm being overly negative on one over the other:

In favour of G2:

- 2160x2160 vs 1832x1920 is actually 30% more total pixels, so not insignificant. There is also more to the visual experience than pure resolution - you have pixel fill, colour reproduction, brightness, contrast, unwanted effects such as mura or chromatic aberration from the lenses etc... We need to have more direct comparisons of the screens and lenses than just looking at resolution alone. Given the cost targets I would guess G2 to be using higher quality displays and lesnes but that's pure conjecture at this point and money is no guarantee of quality at the end of the day! We also don't know how much facebook is eating on each one sold.

- The Q2 from typical reviews has much the same audio quality as Quest 1... in my opinion it was generally usable and convenient but utter trash compared to my experience with the CV1. The G2 has the same drivers as the index that are better even than the CV1 so the built in audio solutions are incomparable. Mods or separate headphones will be required to get up to the G2 level.

- The Q2 from typical reviews is not particularly comfortable with the standard strap. Once you add the Elite strap which most reviews seem to say is a must have, then the comfort seems to exceed the original Quest, but still from the impressions I've seen feel comparatively unbalanced and less comfortable than a typical PCVR headset such as Rift/RiftS/Index/G2 etc. They have shaved 10% off the weight of the original quest but ultimately they have to pack a lot more in than a non-standalone, so all that weight is concentrated in the front just like with the original Quest. Even with the significantly beefier head strap and off ear monitors the G2 is lighter and with a better weight distribution.

- The G2 seems to have slightly higher FoV but I doubt it will be noticeable so call that a wash. It does however have more adjustable IPD along with a 2 screen design that will make the full FoV usable for more people, and more comfortable for more people - I've seen eg Tyriel mentioning that even though he was within the total IPD range, because he fell in between two of the three IPD settings that he felt a bit of discomfort after extended use and had more chromatic aberration than he would have were he able to set his actual IPD. Individual sensitivity may vary and of course you may be lucky and fall exactly on one of the three fixed settings or close enough not to matter.

- To use the Q2 as a PCVR headset you need to either use Link, or a Wifi streamer such as Virtual desktop which will require sideloading. There is quite noticeable compression on both, but do note the Q2 has the capability to handle much more bandwidth than the Q1 so I would expect this to improve in time... some of that bandwidth will be used in going from 72hz to 90hz, but the rest can be spent on improving image quality. There is also a little introduced latency on both, more so over the wifi options (about 30ms in my experience with a dedicated router connected to the host via ethernet. How it will compare to native such as the G2 remains to be seen, but one thing for sure is it won't end up better than a native uncompressed stream. Normal USB 3.X cables are also quite heavy, thick and stiff while the G2 has apparently put a lot of work into making its 5m cable thin, flexible and lightweight. The official link cable certainly addresses this point, but at a significant cost.

- No battery to run out

- No need for a facebook account. To some this is a significant factor, for others it's not a factor at all - make your own choice!

In favour of Q2:

- While it comes at the cost of some some compression and extra latency, I can tell you that for 99% of my PCVR gaming I used the Quest with WiFi rather than plug it in... The freedom of not having a wire out the back of your head cannot be overstated, even seated it is better, especially if playing something that involves a lot of looking around like dogfighting in IL2 or DCS! If you've never used a wireless VR headset before you won't know what you are missing, so it won't be as big of a deal but man it's hard to go backwards. Note that this is NOT currently a native quest function but instead requires sideloading a version of Virtual desktop or ALVR for example, and could technically be cut off by Oculus if they removed the ability to sideload or forced the virtual desktop dev to remove it once they bring the sideloading in house as they are planning. I imagine there would be uproar and I don't expect it to happen but it's worth mentioning. Carmack allegedly has his own Air-link Using WiFi but politics mean oculus aren’t currently releasing it due to user experience concerns... it may or may not ever see the light of day.

- Oculus software is in my opinion ahead of the curve... ASW and ATW are the best in the industry, passthrough+ is very cool and the guardian setup etc is brilliant. The Quest can do native hand tracking, and do it pretty well. At the moment it's not a huge deal for me but I would imagine it won't be long before some sim games allow you to start using both real physical controls and then just your hands to interact with cockpits etc - that would be pretty game changing. I'm sure you'll see an addon for the G2 but ultimately it will probably come at extra cost unless MS release it built into the WMR stack.

- Oculus insight tracking is basically the gold standard in camera based inside out tracking. The G2 looks to improve on this substantially and WMR tracking is actually supposed to be very good, but I'm sure if you really push it to the extremes then the Quest will end up victorious. The battery life on the Q2 controllers is insane too if you care about that.

- There are some good oculus exclusive VR games currently. You should be able to play these through revive on a G2 but you are adding yet another layer of abstraction inducing performance overheads and occasional bugs/compatibility issues... some games going forward could conceivably be Quest exclusive given Oculus now have no dedicated PCVR headset in production. If this does occur and they are only found in the mobile store there will be no way to play these on the G2.

- The ability to play standalone is pretty cool. I'm primarily a PCVR sim racer/flier, but the ability to just use the quest anywhere was definitely a plus point for the other types of games - things like beatsaber, pistol whipped etc were great to just be able to use in the living room with lots of space. Exercise in VR is definitely more fun without the wire or need to be in the same room as a PC.

- Price. Clearly the Q2, even if you say everyone needs the elite strap, is a blinking bargain!

So overall I would say it really depends what you do. Both have some pretty clear advantages in my opinon... The best headset for Sim gaming and seated VR? Without a doubt it'll be the G2 even with the wire. Best general purpose headset? Has to be the Quest 2 in my opinion just due to how flexible it is and the value for money.

I think in a perfect world the answer is get both. If that isn't an option then you need to think about where your priorities lie - what do you spend most of your VR time doing? Would you benefit most from having the absolute best highest quality visual and audio experience with comfort for long gaming sessions, or would you prefer to trade some of that for features, flexibility and cost savings? Is the Facebook data mining and account blocking policy a deal breaker or not?

Last edited:
Associate
So as someone who just recently sold their quest, is considering a Quest 2 (here on referred to as Q2) and also has a G2 on pre-order these are my thoughts. Obviously bear in mind that neither has released so pinch of salt required... this is all based on other peoples opinions in previews except where I mention personal experience. It will start with the positives of the G2 over the Q2 and then move on to the reverse so don't think I'm being overly negative on one over the other:

Thanks a fantastic writeup Zeeflyboy, I've been sitting here reading/debating trying to figure out what is the best bet myself for getting one of these.

its cost/occ. untethered gameplay compared to better screen and pc gameplay ... (I do like the fact the g2 is lighter thou - Im prone to neck issues with weight on my head (hats etc ...)

Last edited:
Soldato
Space could be another issue to consider. My PC is in a tiny office, no real room for VR, maybe if I squeeze in and move stuff around, cables would be a pain though. Quest, via sideloading, allows me to play pcvr in my lounge where the router is, and where moving stuff out the way is far simpler, albeit likely not looking so good, but less graphics vs simply not playing at all?

Fantastic comparison though.

Associate
Space could be another issue to consider. My PC is in a tiny office, no real room for VR, maybe if I squeeze in and move stuff around, cables would be a pain though. Quest, via sideloading, allows me to play pcvr in my lounge where the router is, and where moving stuff out the way is far simpler, albeit likely not looking so good, but less graphics vs simply not playing at all?

Fantastic comparison though.
Not to Change issue but how is the quest and virtual desktop? I'm wanting to use that on my quest 2 with iracing in the office maybe but I could use link. But definetly in the living room with top pc games. Obviously no one knows how the quest 2 will cope with it but trying to get an idea.

Soldato
Not to Change issue but how is the quest and virtual desktop? I'm wanting to use that on my quest 2 with iracing in the office maybe but I could use link. But definetly in the living room with top pc games. Obviously no one knows how the quest 2 will cope with it but trying to get an idea.

No idea! Haven't tried it, quest 2 will be my first headset. But I've read/watched a lot of reviews, and people seem to feel it's at least OK. Latency can be an issue, so quick reaction games might be out.

Soldato

For some people Virtual Desktop works perfectly. For me, I can't get it working reliably unless I'm next to my router, which defeats the point as that's where my PC is, and there's not enough room to do roomscale, and I have an Index for standing/sitting VR.

Quest for me is about wireless roomscale, though being able to sim-race wirelessly in VR. at a decent level of detail is tempting.

Soldato

So actually Facebook haven’t confirmed what type of WiFi is in the Quest 2 yet bizarrely. Given the XR2 natively supports WiFi 6 it’s a fair bet but not technically confirmed.

The virtual desktop dev himself was saying that the upgrade to WiFi 6 would allow a significant improvement in the WiFi streaming application... so at the very least you can expect it to equal the Quest WiFi streaming experience and most likely significantly exceed it (obviously a WiFi 6 router would be required - you can find some fairly cheap ones such as the honour router 3 which would probably work fine).

You can play anywhere you have network connection to the PC in question but the best experience is from staying close to the router. If you could run an Ethernet connection from your PC into whatever room you are planning on using and hook the router up in there you will have a significantly better experience.

My PC is in the man cave in the garden which is networked to the house and I can play with WiFi streaming in the living room with the router in the hallway serving as the wireless access point but it takes a significant hit to bitrate and latency is increased as compared to playing in the man cave itself where the PC is directly connected to a router and the router is close to the headset.

Associate
So actually Facebook haven’t confirmed what type of WiFi is in the Quest 2 yet bizarrely. Given the XR2 natively supports WiFi 6 it’s a fair bet but not technically confirmed.

The virtual desktop dev himself was saying that the upgrade to WiFi 6 would allow a significant improvement in the WiFi streaming application... so at the very least you can expect it to equal the Quest WiFi streaming experience and most likely significantly exceed it (obviously a WiFi 6 router would be required - you can find some fairly cheap ones such as the honour router 3 which would probably work fine).

You can play anywhere you have network connection to the PC in question but the best experience is from staying close to the router. If you could run an Ethernet connection from your PC into whatever room you are planning on using and hook the router up in there you will have a significantly better experience.

My PC is in the man cave, which is networked to the house and I can play with WiFi streaming in the living room with the router in the hallway serving as the wireless access point but it takes a significant hit to bitrate and latency is increased as compared to playing in the man cave itself where the PC is directly connected to a router and the router is close to the headset.
I have whole home WiFi and the disc is like 3 feet from my living room vr space. The iracing rig is 2 feet from the router and disc so I figure I'll be perfect for wireless vr?! I think I'm fully committed to the quest 2 just worried. Your words are adding confidence I'll be okay with it.

Associate
Had the same debate with myself. I went with the Quest 2 simply for freedom factor, but cost also swung it (though it's not as big a difference when you add accessories). I have a Rift CV1 and the interface and game/app availability is superb and you won't have that with the G2, another one of the factors that made me go for the Quest 2.

My new PC build is also going to be white, that was the cherry on top :D

Soldato
I have whole home WiFi and the disc is like 3 feet from my living room vr space. The iracing rig is 2 feet from the router and disc so I figure I'll be perfect for wireless vr?! I think I'm fully committed to the quest 2 just worried. Your words are adding confidence I'll be okay with it.

Best performance will be achieved with a dedicated router being used only for this one purpose, nothing else on that network. You could mostly achieve that by dedicating 5.8ghz purely to the quest for example and leaving everything else on 2.4 but I would recommend a dedicated router/bridge if it is achievable as you will maxmise throughput, minimise compression artefacts, reduce chances of any stuttering and keep latency as low as possible.

As I said other less ideal setups will work, so try it but if you have any problems or the performance is less than ideal then bear in mind the best setup is Pc - ethernet - dedicated router.

@Unseul cheers for that, good to know.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Not really - the original Quest is great and I can't see Quest 2 being any worse than the original.

I develop for both and it's really very hard to tell the difference between a Rift S and a Quest attached via Link.

Soldato
I develop for both and it's really very hard to tell the difference between a Rift S and a Quest attached via Link.

Agree with the first point, disagree with the second. Despite maxing out both link cable and wifi methods in terms of options I get noticeable compression artefacts in some situations (lots of similar colours like forests or sand in onward, or dark grey areas in eg Alyx) that aren't there at all in a native PCVR headset, and a slightly but still noticeably softer overall picture than when running Quest native.

It's still a very good PCVR headset though.

Soldato

Can you tell us about how the visuals are impacted between something like displayport (30 Gbps theoretical bandwidth) and wireless or USB connections which firstly the connections themselves are far lower (5 Gbps for USB 3 or <1 Gbps for wifi) and also the limitation of the 150 Mbps quoted for the 835 chip itself?

Back
Top Bottom