Openreach / FTTC cabinet full - experiences?

Associate
Well, what a disaster! Moving to a new house in October, checked broadband availability a couple weeks ago and the usual up to 80MBit FTTC packages were available from every provider. Now that we have a move date and everything is confirmed I called Vodafone to arrange for my existing connection to be moved to the new place, only to be told that service was not available at that address. Chap was helpful as he could be, and went through everything to make sure that was right as I'd said I checked a couple weeks ago and service was not available, and he said despite it being a "gold" line, there is no FTTC avaiable likely due to the cabinet being full.

I checked on several other providers websites and sure enough, no one offered FTTC, only some offering old school 8Mbit ADSL which does support the possibility that the cabinet is full.

There are no FTTP providers in the area.

Has anyone been in the same situation as this, and if so how long did it take you to get connected? I'm hoping that when the current tenant at the place moves out it'll free up a port in the cabinet, I suppose I'll just have to check daily to see if something is available!

Man of Honour
As far as I am aware it is literally pot luck. You'll just have to check every day and ring up whenever it shows as having FTTC available.

Associate
OP
As far as I am aware it is literally pot luck. You'll just have to check every day and ring up whenever it shows as having FTTC available.

Looking that way from what I can gather unfortunately!

Is there anything planned on Openreaches map for an upgrade or new cabinet?

Have you got a link? Only map I could find was the FTTP one which shows no plans for the area at the moment.

Associate
I had a similar experience approx 2 years ago, checked the broadband availability during the house purchase, all good, moved in only to find there was no availability on the cabinet, ended up on rubbish Asdl line for 4 months till a line became avail - proper took the shine off the new house, especially as the new house is in a mobile network black spot, no mobile signal at all - imagine how well that went down with a house full of teenager girls - no mobile and crap internet

I just kept checking weekly for availability, one day it said a line was avail and I got back on a 80meg line - I was on the asdl line for approx 5 months, couple of months after I got it sorted I was talking to one of my neighbours from a couple of doors up and it turned out he is the area BT engineering manager - he told me he could have sorted it straightaway if he had know I was waiting for a line. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom