Declining attitude to law and order

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Feels like there is no bite to the police.

Any petty crime (ie shop lifting) seems to carry zero punishment now. I can kind of see how people with nothing to lose do it.

Only have to look at how loosely covid rules are enforcemed.

Commissario
I will give you the same answer as I already have.

OMG...words fail me.

If a police officer tells you to backup. You do it asap.
She did not...and she resisted arrest. So right there that's 2 laws she broke.

And I've found a way to put you on ignore ...happy days :)
In case you missed it.,

She DID back up, she wasn't given a chance to move further back and she was using a zoom on the camera...(you can hear the instruction, then she's down within about 2-3 seconds).

So by your theory if an officer tells you to backup they can shoot you if you don't move faster than Usain Bolt on steroids?

This is a favourite excuse for police brutality in the US "I issued an order and it wasn't complied with" when the time between issuing an order and taking action is seconds, or the orders were unclear and contradictory, or there was no way to comply (such as the police rounding people up in tunnels or between buildings and two lines of police and ordering them to "dispers" when there is no where for them to disperse to), or the order was given AFTER they took action (as several offficial investigations have found out in regards to use of force on peaceful protestors).

There are numerous videos of officers using the "backup" order then going after the person within seconds, sometimes running ahead of them to be able to say they were not putting distance between themselves and the officers.

I have this odd thing when it comes to the police, I expect them to act professionally, within the law, to be honest, and to be held to account when they do wrong - I expect someone whose entire job is to uphold the law to do so in a lawful manner.
UK police have their faults, but after several decades and the likes of the introduction of the IPCC they are now generally professional, and when they do wrong they are usually accountable with the option for any serious wrong doing to be investigated by people who have no day to day working or personal relationship with the officers and thus are not influenced by friendship or knowing that the person they're investigating can make their own lives hell.

The problem I have with a lot of US police, and it's becoming more and more clear is that they're not accountable, they're not law abiding, and they act like playground bullies rather than with any professional attitude.

IIRC LASD currently has an ongoing federal investigation into "gangs" within it's ranks of officers who are routinely breaking the law under the cover of their badges, their previous chief is (from memory) in federal jail for his antics, and one of the heads of the LA city recently retired with a 1.5 million settlement and full time private security after the head of the LASD got upset about losing a role in the Covid response management team and started accusing her of various things and inciting his officers to harass her.
That's a lovely respect for law and order from the highest levels of the the sheriffs department.

Caporegime
Its stories like this that make my blood boil,

How can they only get between 2 and 5 years detention each? Multiple crimes committed with knives ...

We need to start getting tough on knife crime if we want this fixed.

Minimum 10 year tariff per aggravated knife crime
+50% for each case of reoffending. Served consecutively.

Thats 10 years including expected good behaviour. More if you don't behave.

If you stab/threaten 2x people you get 20 years for knife crime plus ABH/GBH/Mans/Murder on top.

Implement that and knife crime drops massively.

https://www.phtm.co.uk/news/1669/ph...axi-drivers-into-terrifying-machete-robberies

Screenshot-20200918-100004-Chrome.jpg

Soldato
Its stories like this that make my blood boil,

How can they only get between 2 and 5 years detention each? Multiple crimes committed with knives ...

We need to start getting tough on knife crime if we want this fixed.

Minimum 10 year tariff per aggravated knife crime
+50% for each case of reoffending. Served consecutively.

Thats 10 years including expected good behaviour. More if you don't behave.

If you stab/threaten 2x people you get 20 years for knife crime plus ABH/GBH/Mans/Murder on top.

Implement that and knife crime drops massively.

https://www.phtm.co.uk/news/1669/ph...axi-drivers-into-terrifying-machete-robberies

Screenshot-20200918-100004-Chrome.jpg

They should be tried as adults.
And get 20-life

Permabanned
Why should a 14 year old be tried as an adult? Should they be voting as an adult?

Their parent/guardian should be picking up the residue of the sentence an adult would have got for the offence though.

There's no turning those kids around. Try them as adults and recoup the costs incurred from the parents.

Caporegime
Why should a 14 year old be tried as an adult? Should they be voting as an adult?

Their parent/guardian should be picking up the residue of the sentence an adult would have got for the offence though.

Because its an adult offence.

This isnt one child stealing another kids bike in the playground is it?

Holding up multiple people at knifepoint is not the act of a child and therefore the defendant should be tried for the crime, not for their age.

Its not like you can claim they didn't know it was wrong....sure they shouldn't go to a grown up man's prison until they are 16, so serve the first 2 years in detention and then the rest in prison.

Edit, even if you gave them a 75% juvenile weighting so they would serve 15 out of a tariff of 20 that would be acceptable.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Feels like there is no bite to the police.

Any petty crime (ie shop lifting) seems to carry zero punishment now. I can kind of see how people with nothing to lose do it.

Only have to look at how loosely covid rules are enforcemed.

Police don't punish. The courts do.

As for Covid - how do you effectively enforce lockdown violations across the board ? It is logistically impossible.

Commissario
Anyone know what the penalty for lying to the Police is in the US?

Apparently an officer who claimed he was ambushed and shot the other day actually did a silly with his gun and lied...

Meanwhile the US radio reporter who was arrested by the police outside a hospital has been released with the DA saying the cops version of events didn't tally with the other evidence...She's now going to try and get it entered in her record that she was found "factually innocent" which I guess is the local legal way of saying "all the facts show the charges were nonsense".

And some people wonder why I don't believe the initial reports that US police put out, especially when there is video evidence that shows otherwise.

Soldato
Anyone know what the penalty for lying to the Police is in the US?

Apparently an officer who claimed he was ambushed and shot the other day actually did a silly with his gun and lied...

Meanwhile the US radio reporter who was arrested by the police outside a hospital has been released with the DA saying the cops version of events didn't tally with the other evidence...She's now going to try and get it entered in her record that she was found "factually innocent" which I guess is the local legal way of saying "all the facts show the charges were nonsense".

And some people wonder why I don't believe the initial reports that US police put out, especially when there is video evidence that shows otherwise.
What does this have to do with the UK?

Soldato
How the **** can someone still be in possesion of a gun after being arrested and taken to a custody suite! Do they not get searched until they're there? Sounds like a serious failing. RIP the officer involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom