700w Gold a little low for a 3080?

Soldato
Currently have a 2080 and an overclocked 3800x.

Will be looking to buy a 3080 at some point, not today though!

Can anyone link me on OCUK to the sort of psu I should be looking for?

Thanks

Man of Honour
It has 672w across it's quad 12v rails so it should be ok but just to be sure use two seperate pci-e leads to power the card and not the pair that are daisy chained on a single lead. I would hold on for a while though as there appears to be a 20Gb 3080 coming although no doubt it will be even more expensive and suck even more power. See here.

Soldato
OP
It has 672w across it's quad 12v rails so it should be ok but just to be sure use two seperate pci-e leads to power the card and not the pair that are daisy chained on a single lead. I would hold on for a while though as there appears to be a 20Gb 3080 coming although no doubt it will be even more expensive and suck even more power. See here.
Thankyou.

yes I’m going to hold off until the dust settles and both vendors have fully launched. My 2080 will cope just fine till then!

Soldato
OP
In terms of this daisy chaining I checked my cable and wow your right! It’s two 8 pin heads coming from one pcie power slot on the PSU.
It’s going to look a bit ugly in my case if I use a second set and have two Unconnected 8pin plugs ‘Flapping’ around, can these power leads be bought individually where they don’t split?

Man of Honour
In terms of this daisy chaining I checked my cable and wow your right! It’s two 8 pin heads coming from one pcie power slot on the PSU.
It’s going to look a bit ugly in my case if I use a second set and have two Unconnected 8pin plugs ‘Flapping’ around, can these power leads be bought individually where they don’t split?

I have always used braided cable extensions so that the daisy chained connector is out of sight. I just plug the extension into the primary connector and have never had any problems. My current psu though has individual pci-e leads so no daisy chaining going on.

Soldato
OP
I have always used braided cable extensions so that the daisy chained connector is out of sight. I just plug the extension into the primary connector and have never had any problems. My current psu though has individual pci-e leads so no daisy chaining going on.
So I shouldn’t use just this cable in the image instead use two of these , using one set of 8pin plugs from each? If so I could always cut one set of and shrink wrap it ;)
8-F8594-E7-0-B9-B-4-B71-96-B0-969666764-CEF.jpg

Man of Honour
I would have thought that you should be ok with that type as it has a extra 4 wires. I was thinking it was one of the 8 pin ones that split into a pair of daisy chained cables at the gpu end which may indeed have a pair of connectors but you would then be sucking all of that power down through just 8 wires. I have seen quite a few melted connectors at the psu end of that type where the gpu has drawn too much power for the cable/connector.

Permabanned
Somewhere there is a video that tests the power consumption and for a mildy overclocked 3080 the recommendation from them is a 650W PSU. 700W will be just fine.

Back
Top Bottom