• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 56 Owners Thread

Soldato
Hey guys,

Got a Sapphire Pulse 56 Vega in a NZXT H510 case - I did a mild undervolt/ overclock from this guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SySAEMm9rJM&ab_channel=AncientGameplays

However my temps in HWINFO (Hotspot and memory) is hitting over 100 C. What I wanted to find out is if I leave all the settings stock (clock speeds) and just undervolt it - will that save on temps?
Simple answer is yes you'll lower the temps by lowering the voltage. You can try adjusting the fan curve which will give you more of a drop.

Associate
Increasing the power limit helps the card reach higher clock speeds but that will also increase temperature. You can offset that a little by decreasing the voltage.
Right, so if I undervolt and keep the power limit at 0 - it should keep the same clocks/speed without drawing more power and thus heat?

Associate
Right, so if I undervolt and keep the power limit at 0 - it should keep the same clocks/speed without drawing more power and thus heat?

Yes

You can regulate noise by lowering the voltage and power limit.

Drop the voltage first, then lower the power limit if you still want to make it quieter

Soldato
What's peoples thoughts on upgrading from their V56s?

Still running mine and it's happily running Gears 5 @ 1440p on ultra at 80+fps online so I'm trying to tell myself there's no point in going next gen just yet :)

Soldato

Still running mine and it's happily running Gears 5 @ 1440p on ultra at 80+fps online so I'm trying to tell myself there's no point in going next gen just yet :)
Maybe if you started playing VR games you could always use more power. Or if you upgraded the monitor to 4k or want super high refresh rates yeah, but for "normal" games and resolutions below 4k, a Vega 56 is still excellent imo.

Associate

Same here

For the games I am playing I'm still getting 80+ fps at ok settings at 1440p

I do have the 165hz screen but freesysnc is pretty good so I'm not missing out on much.

I might pick up a 3070, but ill probably wait till next year once AMD have there new cards out and drivers/bugs are sorted.

If I buy a new game and the V56 is no good then I will upgrade sooner but I'm still happy with V56.

Associate
Upgrading mine to a 3080. It does dip below 60 on a few games ive played recently at 1440 max like hitman and Dishonored 2 and those are hardly new games. Would be nice to play at 4k on my 4k TV too instead of 1440p! RDR2 was also a bit of a struggle but I got it at 50-60ish after tweaking a lot. Just want to whack everything up and not worry about framerate for a while like when I got my 980 on launch.

It's still a decent card although it was always my intent to use it as a cheap stop gap card after Turing and rDNA 1 were so disappointing.

Associate
Hi All,

Was wondering if anyone has experience of this

I have had a Sapphire Pulse Vega 56 for about two years- has always been stock & relatively quiet if not whisper quiet

I only play games like WOW,WOT & WOWS so I actually don't need the latest cards as I am happy enough with the performance

Issue is that I picked up a Strix Vega 56 for my 2nd machine & it sounds like a jet under load, is actually audible idle & runs hotter than the Pulse by quite a bit under load- about 10 degrees Celsius - not impressed at all

with everything stock is this normal?

Thanks

Soldato

As always, depends on the game. I'm looking forward to CP2077 so an upgrade is a given, but I was otherwise also very pleased with the performance and would have kept mine if not for that.

Hi All,

Was wondering if anyone has experience of this

I have had a Sapphire Pulse Vega 56 for about two years- has always been stock & relatively quiet if not whisper quiet

I only play games like WOW,WOT & WOWS so I actually don't need the latest cards as I am happy enough with the performance

Issue is that I picked up a Strix Vega 56 for my 2nd machine & it sounds like a jet under load, is actually audible idle & runs hotter than the Pulse by quite a bit under load- about 10 degrees Celsius - not impressed at all

with everything stock is this normal?

Thanks

Strix Vegas were poorly made, so chances are yours is in need for some fixes too.

Soldato
@nitram100 have a look through my previous posts regarding my o/c settings they might help mate. Minor adjustments aside, for circa over a year now I have been running my Vega 56 Pulse as follows... MHz / mV... State 0 - 852 / 800, State 1 – 1012 / 900, State 2 – 1162 / 950, State 3 – 1292 / 960, State 4 – 1337 / 970, State 5 1502 / 980, State 6 1567 / 1015, State 7 – 1622 / 1020. A custom fan curve that maxes out at 2300rpm and keeps the hot spot temp at a max of 80 degrees c. HBM @ 935MHz and the power limit at 17%. GPUz shows the GPU core clock @ 1622MHz, having just checked Horizon Zero Dawn the game is running @ 1580MHz core clock. Furmark burn maxes the card out at 180 watts and all temps are well within specifications. I can max my card out to run at 1704MHz core o/c running 100% fan speed, borderline max temps and specifications if decibels are not a factor and that interests you, let me know and I will post the settings. I seen just a circa 1 to 2 fps increase going from my daily overclock to the max overclock on Horizon Zero Dawn stanting still in the same place. IMO anything over 1600MHz core clock on a Vega 56 is pointless, I never bothered flashing my card for the same reason.
Thanks a lot buddy much appreciated

Associate

Vega still sells for good money (sold my Vega 56 Pulse for £210 on eBay about a month ago), so if you can find a good deal on a better card i may be worth it. For example I picked up a B grade 5700XT Nitro+ from OCUK for £300 to replace, with paypal fees considered etc the cost to change to 5700XT was ~£90-£100, which for the extra performance in games is very reasonable.

Associate

I'm on 1440p Ultrawide and get decent frames on nearly everything other than Ubifails latest games, which only hit about 40fps after playing around with graphic settings. Not sure if that's worth an upgrade

Also what's the bottleneck? The Vega or the Ryzen 2600?

Associate
Upgrading mine to a 3080. It does dip below 60 on a few games ive played recently at 1440 max like hitman and Dishonored 2 and those are hardly new games. Would be nice to play at 4k on my 4k TV too instead of 1440p! RDR2 was also a bit of a struggle but I got it at 50-60ish after tweaking a lot. Just want to whack everything up and not worry about framerate for a while like when I got my 980 on launch.

It's still a decent card although it was always my intent to use it as a cheap stop gap card after Turing and rDNA 1 were so disappointing.

If you're dropping that low in Hitman, a GPU upgrade might not help, it's probably your CPU

Back
Top Bottom