Gaming and streaming from a single PC?

Soldato
My friend who streams his xbox has decided to start streaming Warzone from his computer.

His specs are:

Ryzen 7 2700X
Vega 64 GPU
32GB 3600MHz memory
X570 gaming Motherboard
2 x 1Tb NVME SSD
350Mbps connection

He is using OBS studio but the stream is very laggy even though he's only using less than 10% of his CPU.

We have tried using his GPU too and it's still laggy when watching.

He's used his pc to stream his xbox gameplay and it handles it perfectly.

We have tried a number of settings to try and get the stream running smoothly with no luck.

We have also tried lowering his in-game settings on Warzone but it's still lagging.

Anything else we can try before he goes down the upgrade route?

We have also tried various streaming apps with no change.

Cheers

Associate
internet connection?

I'm not a big streamer but have steamed for a bit for the likes of CSGO etc... but have you tried playing around with the bitrate, codec and/or display resolution. I know those can have a major effect on streaming.

Soldato
OP
internet connection?

I'm not a big streamer but have steamed for a bit for the likes of CSGO etc... but have you tried playing around with the bitrate, codec and/or display resolution. I know those can have a major effect on streaming.
He's on Virgin Media and has a 350Mbps connection, we've tried 6-7 different bit rates with no luck, changed the codec and the resolution of the stream and in-game, no change.

Associate
out of curiosity, though i'm not sure whether you can compare it, does it lag while recording (rather than streaming) or is it fine when you play it back

Associate
OBS will use GPU for compositing and scaling (this is separate to the encode process), so if you do not have headroom there then it will lag.

Modern Warfare / WZ executable also launches with High CPU priority, which may affect OBS.

Finally, if you have Game Mode in Win10 enabled this can severely limit the resources available to OBS, resulting in lag/stutter.

Back
Top Bottom