• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

So, decided on a 3080? Which manufacturer and why?

Soldato
I ordered the MSI Gaming X Trio because it had a good OC stated so I assume will minimise the risk of silicon lottery not going my way.. In hindsight the TUF OC (my 2nd choice) looks better value slightly, almost as quiet but with dual bios and similar claimed boost clocks (1815mhz).

The Strix OC is claiming over 1900Mhz boost, they must all be the top binned chips for sure..

Associate
OP
I ordered the Gigabyte Gaming OC, but my ****** bank blocked the sale due to suspected fraud :/ By the time I could get through to them to unblock the card, the OcUk site was collapsing under the strain and it took 3 hours to get the order to go through. I just got en amail confirming "out of stock" and will have to wait. God damned fraud protection :mad:

Associate
Asus TUF (OC) best in show. Great build quality and nice extra heat pipe and fins for mem / power chips.
Awesome fans on it too like the ones on the FE.

Gigabyte and Asus models have an extra HDMI port? Really? That's a game changer for me because I've been eyeing only the MSI and EVGA.
I cant stand HDMI. Horrible connector at the least.

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
I just ended up ordering an EVGA FTW3 Ultra, had my 970 ftw+ for years and has been very faithful to me figured i would return the favour, other than the red mclaren thing, it doesn't look too bad either. I think they're even releasing something to fix that problem up as well, or so I've heard. anyways elses verdicton the FTW3?

Last edited:
Associate
Zotac Trinity - the 5 years warranty tempted me.

I am going to sit in the queue and just wait, either way I would be out of pocket for £700 bangers, so what's the difference wether I pay now or later, I still want the card!

Soldato
For the first time ever direct from Nvidia ! Non of the 3rd party manufactures have gone for Nvidia new cooling system, don’t understand it because they have obviously done there research and found it cools the card better, I also don’t think its worth spending £100 more for some fancy LED lights as that’s all you are getting extra.

If they did how could they justify their £100-200 price premium?

I admit I am seriously considering the FE, it seems a step up from their previous coolers.

Soldato
Pretty much all the AIB 3 fan coolers beat the FE in temps or noise or both from any I have seen reviewed.
I don't think there is a bad card among them TBH, just a matter of which one has the most benefit to your personal requirements.
Overclocking only shows small gains in real world performance, so unless you are chasing world records isn't a major consideration IMO.

Soldato
What was the time of your order?

Sorry for the late reply, time of order was 16.30 ish on the 16th at a competitors site. A fluke momentary "in stock" appeared so I jumped on it.

Just an update, apparently Kombustor/Furmark does not heat up the GPu as much as I thought.
Running Unigene Heaven Benchmark pushed it harder. 72 deg peak under load after a few runs.
But totally silent. I am looking to do a custom profile, I can get it to 62 peak under load with 60% fan speed which is still quiet but audible, but atm when I try a custom profile in afterburner my fan wont turn off on idle.

Last edited:
Permabanned
None, yet. Much as though I am chomping the bit, I will wait until all the tests are in and the product has settled.

Associate
Yeah the £250 premium had me chocking a bit but I know my budget won't fit the 20GB version or the 3090 in there so I decided to try and buy at least close to the best if not the best version of the card I could. Personally I do some overclocking just because I find it to be fun, so having that cooler on there that I know is going to handle for a long time is a must. Either that or I'll end up swapping it out for a water block at some point and see how it runs that way. I need to get less expensive hobbies lol

Associate
I went for the MSI Trio , its been getting great reviews from what I have seen on YouTube so happy I went with that option , looks like its a little faster than FE , it also looks like its a solid build card , a few YT have called it a Tank.... my main reason is MSI cards have never failed on me so that was my main reason for going for MSI Trio X , It does suck that I will have too wait a month or so to get one but in the mean time I am using my integrated graphics from my i7 8700k :) I sold my old MSI 1080 Ti for £300 so tech cost me around £500 for the 3080 card that is going to give me 50% boost in 4 k gaming , happy with that.

Associate
Yeah I've seen a lot of reviews on that card being quite good really, selling the 1080ti in advance would have probably been my last option if possible though. Not sure I could stomach going on integrated graphics for a month or more whilst things get sorted out, but am in the same waiting boat, just got my 970 still hehe

Associate
The Strix OC is claiming over 1900Mhz boost, they must all be the top binned chips for sure..

Boost as we know is a red herring, its what the card can sustain. I've no doubt btw the Strix will do well but just to point out DeBauer's TUF OC @£689 boosted to 1930 and he rightly points out that could be an unusually good chip

Back
Top Bottom