Quest 2 Facebook leak - XR2 chipset, 6gb RAM, "almost 4k display"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
4x the video bandwidth according to Qualcomm, but I believe they are underclocking it significantly from what carmack was saying at connect so how that affects that specific ability remains to be seen.

Ok so if it was 4x, then that is about 600 Mbps, still nowhere near 30 Gbps. Clearly though, somehow it does work as for sure the display quality even in Quest 1 was not only 0.5% that of a monitor (150/30000).

Soldato
True but the compression is excellent and given its currently so low any improvements to available bandwidth have a disproportionately high impact on the perceived quality you can achieve.

It simply will not rival a displayport connection in technical terms no, and I would wager there will still be some artefacting in certain situations, loss of detail etc but it will be a substantial improvement and it already generally looks good. For most it will probably appear to be largely similar. Note we are talking about future here as currently there is no change to the link limitations until next year I believe.

Think of it like watching 4k netflix videos vs blueray - one is massively compressed vs the other but the netflix 4k videos generally still manage to look pretty damn good most of the time to the casual observer and manage that all important threshold of “good enough”.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
4x the video bandwidth according to Qualcomm, but I believe they are underclocking it significantly from what carmack was saying at connect so how that affects that specific ability remains to be seen.

The CPU is underclocked, for thermal and power reasons, but the GPU is running at full speed. Not sure about the DSPs though.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

been made for quest 2, so whilst I guess it won't be 90hz in this video, it should be on release, quite impressive quality

The 6 min mark shows the strong FFR on the original Quest. I've noticed the same in the apps I develop (at least with the default Unity settings). Nice to see the effect less pronounced on the Quest 2 - looking forward to getting to grips with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man of Honour
The 6 min mark shows the strong FOV on the original Quest. I've noticed the same in the apps I develop (at least with the default Unity settings). Nice to see the effect less pronounced on the Quest 2 - looking forward to getting to grips with it.

Don't want to be *that guy* but you mean FFR right?

Man of Honour
Are people thinking of doing duplicate Facebook accounts for this.... or....?

I have a Facebook account that I deactivated a long time ago... and for some reason I’m reluctant to delete it.... it’s go loads of photos and memories on there. I guess it’s all just bull**** that needs letting go of.

My plan was to delete my old one, then set up a new ‘empty’ one with my real name. But interested to hear what other people intend on doing.

Soldato
OP
Are people thinking of doing duplicate Facebook accounts for this.... or....?

I have a Facebook account that I deactivated a long time ago... and for some reason I’m reluctant to delete it.... it’s go loads of photos and memories on there. I guess it’s all just bull**** that needs letting go of.

My plan was to delete my old one, then set up a new ‘empty’ one with my real name. But interested to hear what other people intend on doing.

Don't create a duplicate account - it's very likely to be flagged as fake and you run the risk of getting banned permanently from Facebook and the Oculus platform. There have been quite a few people on Reddit saying they did this and now their accounts are banned, and they can't get Facebook to reactivate them, and can't create any other accounts as they also get banned, so they're completely stuffed.

Best thing to to is recover your original account and just enable all the privacy settings.

Man of Honour
Don't create a duplicate account - it's very likely to be flagged as fake and you run the risk of getting banned permanently from Facebook and the Oculus platform. There have been quite a few people on Reddit saying they did this and now their accounts are banned, and they can't get Facebook to reactivate them, and can't create any other accounts as they also get banned, so they're completely stuffed.

Best thing to to is recover your original account and just enable all the privacy settings.
Thanks for the advice. I suppose if I really want to be ultra private I should delete my old account, wait 30 days and create a new one.

Man of Honour
Thanks for the advice. I suppose if I really want to be ultra private I should delete my old account, wait 30 days and create a new one.

Worth knowing that you can easily download your entire dataset from Facebook in one package. It might be large, but it will include all your images, posts, and chats as far as I'm aware.

Associate
I’m playing mostly 1920p and 2160p h264 60fps video on my Oculus Go and the quality seems ok. I’ve tried to play h265 5k video on it and it stutters badly.

Would the 1920p and 2160p video’s look better quality on the new Quest2? ie - sharper? as the resolution per eye is increased. Would the Quest2 be able to play h265 encoded video at 5k res?

Soldato
OP

Don't do that either, mad as it sounds, it runs the risk of again being flagged as a duplicate account. Best thing to do is download all your data from your account, delete anything you don't want, and make the account private.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom