And boomers wonder why millennials are bitter towards them..

Caporegime
Well it means thiers no shelter to pass onto the kids is there? What you described is a single lifestyle. And do you not see that whatever money you paid in rent you could have had a mortgage? Later in life you could sell or pass it on to someone.

When you rent, You get no benefits at all period apart from flexibility. But mentally for me thiers a block and that block is the one where i know if renting im getting the worst deal and basically paying off someone elses mortgage.

Its crazy! If i had someone paying off a house for me that i can then later sell i would be laughing i guess. I mean he pays the mortgage and i keep it all. Hes basically wasted all his money.

It's a lifestyle without kids granted, but it's not exploitative. A mortgage requires a significant capital expenditure in the form of a deposit and the risk of property devaluation which we have seen in some areas due to covid recently.

Caporegime
Well it means thiers no shelter to pass onto the kids is there? What you described is a single lifestyle. And do you not see that whatever money you paid in rent you could have had a mortgage? Later in life you could sell or pass it on to someone.

When you rent, You get no benefits at all period apart from flexibility. But mentally for me thiers a block and that block is the one where i know if renting im getting the worst deal and basically paying off someone elses mortgage.

Its crazy! If i had someone paying off a house for me that i can then later sell i would be laughing i guess. I mean he pays the mortgage and i keep it all. Hes basically wasted all his money.
Not to mention that a mortgage (if you can get one) is normally cheaper than the equivalent rent. Normally rent (down here) is 2-3x what the average mortgage payment would be.

The problems is people can't get mortgages in the first place, and so much of the housing is snapped up for someone's portfolio.

Think I read not so long ago that something like 2/3 of new builds end up in a BTL portfolios within 5 years or something like that.

Caporegime
How is it a boomers fault? most millennials and younger generations are vocally supportive to the point of aggression about the benefits of mass immigration but when you have way more people than houses and short supply sends housing prices to the stratosphere they blame boomers? it's simple supply and demand if you want cheaper houses stop supporting mass immigration.

Man of Honour
I don't get annoyed with boomers, I get annoyed with people I know getting constant hand outs from mummy and daddy and then sitting there moaning how they only have a 1 bed flat and want a house

I don't get annoyed with the boomers so much - but things back then in respect to houses and renting was much more appropriate to how things should be - someone doing my dad's job these days for instance in a similar position to where he was when he first bought a house have like 1/4 the buying power he did at the time which results in people struggling to buy a house that is otherwise commensurate with their position in life and that isn't just like many of that generation who sure struggled but it was a realistic struggle and the things they gave up reaped the rewards in the long term - for many these days even if they do give up the fancy phone and other luxuries aren't actually materially any closer to doing any better when it comes to houses or rent - even though their parents or parent's parents could only dream of some of those luxuries padding out their life back in their day.

But ... and this is a BIG but.

If it weren't for the fact that housing is an "investment vehicle"; an "income stream"... then a lot of what you say wouldn't be the case.

The people **** this up for everyone else are the people taking more than they need.

Who, seeing the constrained supply of housing, are all the more eager to buy it up. They want to lock some other poor bugger into paying their mortgage for them.

And things are currently structured - and the housing market is just one example - to funnel money from the min wage workers to the affluent.

Hell, I bet half the people in the Motors section talking about their new Ferraris are BTL "investors".

TBH driving a fancy car these days, even on minimum wage, is far more attainable via finance, etc. than ever and in many cases giving that up doesn't necessarily make a huge difference to the story of how affordable for that person a mortgage or rent might be. Even some quite fancy stuff you can do like 3K deposit and £200/m on finance and just hand it back after 3-5 years rather than pay the balloon payment, etc. to own it.

Last edited:
Caporegime
How is it a boomers fault? most millennials and younger generations are vocally supportive to the point of aggression about the benefits of mass immigration but when you have way more people than houses and short supply sends housing prices to the stratosphere they blame boomers? it's simple supply and demand.
All I say about boomers, is that we should acknowledge that they had a much easier time getting on the property ladder. If they stuck with one house tho I can't argue with that.

I reserve my ire (as you can see) for people who buy more and more property, so that they can have "income streams" from them.

Let me paint a picture here.

You work your ass off doing two jobs, 16 hours a day, and you have enough to buy a 5 bedroom really nice house.

I work 9-5 doing a simple fairly low paid job. Maybe I'm a cleaner, or office admin. In doing this, I earn enough to buy a modest 1-bedroom flat.

You decide, however, not to buy your 5-bedroom dream house. Instead, you buy a 2-bedroom place for yourself and then "invest" in two more 1-bedroom flats. Which you then rent.

I can no longer buy a 1-bedroom flat, because it's not available. You took it. Not because you needed it, but because you wanted it as an "income stream". Income from me.

Not for "providing a service" to me, but because you took something I could have bought myself and put it beyond my reach. I can't afford the 2, 3 or 5 bedroom house. The only thing I could have afforded you bought up. To rent back to me.

That's a pretty sad story, isn't it?

Permabanned
How is it a boomers fault? most millennials and younger generations are vocally supportive to the point of aggression about the benefits of mass immigration but when you have way more people than houses and short supply sends housing prices to the stratosphere they blame boomers? it's simple supply and demand if you want cheaper houses stop supporting mass immigration.

For sure its the boomer and earlier generations who tied everything up into thier portfolios. It is actually a three pronged attack, Much like Satans fork where it is boomer greed and desire to have wealth. It is allowing foreign investors to buy up our homes as investments to profit off British people and it is also immigration pressure.

I oppose all three, I refuse to vote because the Conservatives and Labour and the DUP and Sinn Fein are all part of the problem theres no single party that seems to hold my views on housing. And when there are peoples whos lives are waiting and depending on these changes as Foxeye said why invest in society when society will not invest in you?

Housing is needed before you eat, Work, Play, Love its the first building block of prosperity.

Man of Honour
But ... and this is a BIG but.

If it weren't for the fact that housing is an "investment vehicle"; an "income stream"... then a lot of what you say wouldn't be the case.

The people **** this up for everyone else are the people taking more than they need.

Who, seeing the constrained supply of housing, are all the more eager to buy it up. They want to lock some other poor bugger into paying their mortgage for them.

And things are currently structured - and the housing market is just one example - to funnel money from the min wage workers to the affluent.

Hell, I bet half the people in the Motors section talking about their new Ferraris are BTL "investors".

I don't know if I'll ever pay off the mortgage of this property, but if I don't, so what, it's like paying rent to a certain degree but I Guess I end up owning a little bit more of the house.

You're right though the rental market in this country is not on the same level as the continent - that's one of the things they do right there. Not sure if it'll ever change in this country and with the dreaded "B" word, who knows if property market will get any less tough?!

Man of Honour
I bought my first house in cardiff when I was an admin bod in the jobcentre.

Those houses are now around £160k.

There's no way a jobcentre admin person could afford that now- you'd need £16k deposit and 7x salary.

I think this is what a lot of people aren't understanding.

Caporegime
I don't know if I'll ever pay off the mortgage of this property, but if I don't, so what, it's like paying rent to a certain degree but I Guess I end up owning a little bit more of the house.

You're right though the rental market in this country is not on the same level as the continent - that's one of the things they do right there. Not sure if it'll ever change in this country and with the dreaded "B" word, who knows if property market will get any less tough?!

At a lower rate with the money basically coming back to you in equity/house price increase. In the 4 years we've lived here, given our current equity, we've paid £13K but if we sold we'd end up with £15K.

Even if the house prices dropped, we'd still be in a better position than a renter unless it absolutely crashed, but all that would mean is we're stuck here until such a time we're back in black.

Our mortgage is a pittance, people are charging double for rent on the houses I see come up (I live on a new build estate) on our estate.

Man of Honour
I dislike the idea of wealth securing wealth when it disadvantages others. I know it’s inevitable in this global ‘free for all’ but it just feels a bit cruel when it decreases the quality of life for others.

I know someone who buys properties and ‘does them up’ with his tradesmen skills. He got a small portfolio now and is wealthy as a result. I don’t particularly resent this because he had added value, per se.

But people who don’t add any value... meh.

I say this as someone who had considerable help from my family in buying my house (as the sole mortgagee). So I appreciate it’s a bit hypocritical since my family’s wealth has helped secure my own. But I’m quite happy to draw the distinction when it comes to owning a whopping property empire.

Caporegime
I dislike the idea of wealth securing wealth when it disadvantages others. I know it’s inevitable in this global ‘free for all’ but it just feels a bit cruel when it decreases the quality of life for others.

I know someone who buys properties and ‘does them up’ with his tradesmen skills. He got a small portfolio now and is wealthy as a result. I don’t particularly resent this because he had added value, per se.

But people who don’t add any value... meh.

I say this as someone who had considerable help from my family in buying my house (as the sole mortgagee). So I appreciate it’s a bit hypocritical since my family’s wealth has helped secure my own. But I’m quite happy to draw the distinction when it comes to owning a property empire.

It's easier to take on debt than it is to pay the liquid to do up a house.

In this country you can have two identical houses that have about 50 years difference between them in terms of what's inside the house, for first time buyers these types of properties are basically unviable because of the living standard.
I wish more people would do up houses to quality standards so there's a higher standard of housing available.

Soldato
If you want to get angry get angry at the housing market bubble that generates this insanity. Build or buy to let -> immigration -> work or benefits -> high rent -> leads right back to square one.

Don’t forget government “help” like Help to Buy, “affordable homes” schemes, etc. that prop up values to their current levels. This will never change, the Chancellor recently referred to helping to support people by keeping prices up, which it absolutely does not.

It’s not ‘boomers’ fault, it’s a combination of government policy and bank lending practices that keep prices high.

Associate
There are only two ways that something like property can become overpriced (overpriced meaning not affordable to people that it should be affordable to, e.g. small flats and houses affordable for young people):
  1. Too many people for the available housing.
  2. Allowing people to borrow too easily.
Neither of those are directly attributable to regular homeowners who have seen a huge increase in the value of property that they own. I also think that both are a symptom of valuing short- to medium-term prosperity over long-term stability and growth. If we look to counter each downturn (or guarantee 'growth') through increasing the population or easing monetary policy, we end up with an unbalanced economy AKA bubbles and wealth inequality. At the end of the day asset prices should increase in line with productivity, which means that if prices increase then people have proportionately more money. During downturns asset prices should decrease accordingly, and anyone who's invested too heavily will lose out.

Caporegime

The problem isn't mass immigration, the problem is people hoarding wealth and resources to the point where the average working family can't afford a house to live in. The crown estate, the church and 5 massive old companies own £22bn of central London and then rent it out for huge profits. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/busines...s-playground-handful-families-central-london/

Of course the rich people are quite clever at keeping their wealth and have done a fantastic job of convincing most people that the issue is a few immigrants rather than wealth hoarding dinosaurs who have normal people in a chokehold.

Associate
Here we go again....
I bought my house for 40k 20yrs ago, 2 bed detached with a 30m walk to the station.
I had to do thousands to it to bring it up to snuff but its now worth 160k plus...

If folk are finding it hard to find houses in an area then i can only offer one thing.. flipping move.
No its not great but houses up here in Scotland are much much cheaper than some dump in London.

If you have the skills you will find work.

Caporegime
Here we go again....
I bought my house for 40k 20yrs ago, 2 bed detached with a 30m walk to the station.
I had to do thousands to it to bring it up to snuff but its now worth 160k plus...

If folk are finding it hard to find houses in an area then i can only offer one thing.. flipping move.
No its not great but houses up here in Scotland are much much cheaper than some dump in London.

If you have the skills you will find work.

Same in the northwest, you can easily buy a house for £100k-£120k.

People just want to live in london and can't understand why they can't buy a £800k house on minimum wage...

Associate
Aye there are some decent properties in the absolute north of England - Carlisle way which i go regularly has plenty of potential - er apart from the sinking bit... which we wont talk about.

Back
Top Bottom