Landlord building work - Compensation?

Associate
This thread is a prime example for why this country's housing is such a mess.

You should feel privileged he's letting you rent his house OP /sarcasm.
This thread is a prime example of why the country is going down the ******. If people spent less time moaning about everything and actually did something productive we'd be in a lot better place. The rate this thread is going, by 2030 it will be law to have a 150 mile radius of clear land around every building site in the country! /sarcasm.

Mind your language.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
first result after googling 'compensation building work renting uk'...
https://www.acumenbusinesslaw.co.uk...ts-before-doing-building-work-on-my-property/

this is a 500k a year rental business...but 20% might be a rough guide if it went to court??

the court decided that the landlord was liable to the tenant for compensation of 20% of the price of the rent for breach of the quiet enjoyment covenant, despite the fact that the tenant had not suffered a loss of profits

what would the contract/law think if it was the next house/building up (not owned by the landlord) that was having work done...would the landlord be expected to object to the work or offer compensation to his tenants?

Caporegime
This thread is a prime example of why the country is going down the ******. If people spent less time moaning about everything and actually did something productive we'd be in a lot better place. The rate this thread is going, by 2030 it will be law to have a 150 mile radius of clear land around every building site in the country! /sarcasm.

That's some take.
Jeez.

Are you OP's landlord?

Associate
That's some take.
Jeez.

Are you OP's landlord?

Nope, I just appreciate that if people improve their homes, it spurs neighbours on to do the same, house prices go up, areas become more desirable, more facilities get built, new businesses come or start up and it becomes a nicer place to live, quality of life improves. Rather than complain about every bit of building work that's done so nothing happens, places become derelict and the area turns into an undesirable ********.

I think its called not being shortsighted......

Soldato
With regard to the problem, the work is not being done in the rented area. It is being done in the adjacent property. Does a block of flats have to be emptied every time one property is renovated? Does it ****! Anyone would think the landlord is building the office in the OP's living room the way some people are talking.

False.

It is being done in a shared area, something which was negotiated within the initial contract.

It is being done within the SAME property, have you even read the OP or any any of his statements?

Actually, depending on the work being done and the signed contract the owner might well need to empty a block of flats.

The problem here is contractual, and the OP is within his rights.

You come across as someone very poorly informed or as a truly terrible landlord.

Associate
first result after googling 'compensation building work renting uk'...
https://www.acumenbusinesslaw.co.uk...ts-before-doing-building-work-on-my-property/

this is a 500k a year rental business...but 20% might be a rough guide if it went to court??

what would the contract/law think if it was the next house/building up (not owned by the landlord) that was having work done...would the landlord be expected to object to the work or offer compensation to his tenants?

Ummmm they knocked the whole building down and rebuilt it.... I'd say that's a little different to the OP's situation of a shed being built in the garden!

So on that basis 20% deduction for knocking the building down and rebuilding it would suggest that 4.5% for having a trench dug across the garden is about right. Not the 50% or 100% some people have banded about in this thread.

Associate
False.

It is being done in a shared area, something which was negotiated within the initial contract.

It is being done within the SAME property, have you even read the OP or any any of his statements?

Actually, depending on the work being done and the signed contract the owner might well need to empty a block of flats.

The problem here is contractual, and the OP is within his rights.

You come across as someone very poorly informed or as a truly terrible landlord.

False.

The office is being built in the non rented part of garden adjacent to the 2 meter section the OP rents. The only bit that is on the property the OP rents is the trench for the waste pipe. So actually have you read the OP?

Actually I just read the facts and don't blow it out of all proportion. And no as stated several times before no I'm not a landlord.

I'm just looking to gauge the general feel on this, as I'm sure there are a number of tenants/landlords on OCUK and someone may have gone through exactly this.

Essentially, I live in a basement flat with a split garden - we have the ~2m nearest the house, the remainder belongs to upstairs which is accesses via stairs which travel over my section of the garden.

The landlord owns the whole building, and wants to build an office in the section of garden that belongs to the upstairs part of the building (he currently uses upstairs as an office, leasing the basement only).

He's advised me that we will be disturbed via noise etc as they've got to do some heavy digging for ~3 weeks, plus they have to run waste pipes across my garden, so will have to dig up some of that etc.

All of this is directly behind the bedrooms in my flat, one of which is an office (currently getting a lot of use with WFH and the girlfriend is working from the flat too).

In total he's expecting the complete works to take 6 months - all of which will remove all my privacy at the back of the flat, cover it in dust and create a hell of a racket (the work is within ~5m of my rear wall/windows).

What would people expect to be fair compensation for this?

The landlords made an offer that equates to 4.5% over the 6 months, but to me that seems quite pitiful considering we won't be able to use our outside space due to dust/noise etc and WFH will become far less enjoyable.

What are the thoughts GD?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Soldato
Nope, I just appreciate that if people improve their homes, it spurs neighbours on to do the same, house prices go up, areas become more desirable, more facilities get built, new businesses come or start up and it becomes a nicer place to live, quality of life improves. Rather than complain about every bit of building work that's done so nothing happens, places become derelict and the area turns into an undesirable ********.

I think its called not being shortsighted......

The **** did I just read :confused:

Soldato
Actually I just read the facts and don't blow it out of all proportion. And no as stated several times before no I'm not a landlord.

The first red bolded stuff is irrelevant. Do you understand why?

The second relates to the issue previously described, again do you understand?

The third reinforces the above.

You have avoided discussing every other thing.

Are you serious? I think you might be trolling at this point.

You keep making things up and lying about statements buddy. It's embarrassing, why are you so invested in not being wrong?

Soldato
Isn't it amazing how in these threads there's always some poster who has been a member for years, but has very few posts, suddenly bursts into life and starts arguing for no apparent reason?

Soldato
Isn't it amazing how in these threads there's always some poster who has been a member for years, but has very few posts, suddenly bursts into life and starts arguing for no apparent reason?

It's disturbing tbh.

They wait YEARS and lurk just to have a bit of an argument?

It's nonsense and idiocy.

I wouldn't even mind if the guy was right, but he's (mentally) challenged at best.

Last edited:
Associate
It's disturbing tbh.

They wait YEARS and lurk just to have a bit of an argument?

It's ******* nonsense and idiocy.

I wouldn't even mind if the guy was right, but he's (mentally) challenged at best.

The only thing mentally challenged in this thread is the idea that the OP should be able to live rent free for 6 months because his neighbour (Who happens to be his landlord) is building a shed in the garden. My point all along has been if it wasn't his landlord but another neighbour no one would bat an eyelid at it.

I mean if I'm so wrong then I'm on to an absolute winner, because they are building a block of flats at the top of my street and just got planning for a semi detached house on the wasteland over the road, so I'm ringing Santander this morning to demand that I don't have to pay my mortgage for 3 years whilst the work is ongoing due to me not being able to enjoy my property.

Anyway I'm out. No point trying to reason with people that just throw insults about rather than debate.

PS, not mentally challenged. Masters degree and a very good job in the field of pointing out the logical and obvious to people that cant see it, otherwise known as engineering. Its amazing how many people you come across in life that can be so illogical.

Permabanned
I'm just looking to gauge the general feel on this, as I'm sure there are a number of tenants/landlords on OCUK and someone may have gone through exactly this.

Essentially, I live in a basement flat with a split garden - we have the ~2m nearest the house, the remainder belongs to upstairs which is accesses via stairs which travel over my section of the garden.

The landlord owns the whole building, and wants to build an office in the section of garden that belongs to the upstairs part of the building (he currently uses upstairs as an office, leasing the basement only).

He's advised me that we will be disturbed via noise etc as they've got to do some heavy digging for ~3 weeks, plus they have to run waste pipes across my garden, so will have to dig up some of that etc.

All of this is directly behind the bedrooms in my flat, one of which is an office (currently getting a lot of use with WFH and the girlfriend is working from the flat too).

In total he's expecting the complete works to take 6 months - all of which will remove all my privacy at the back of the flat, cover it in dust and create a hell of a racket (the work is within ~5m of my rear wall/windows).

What would people expect to be fair compensation for this?

The landlords made an offer that equates to 4.5% over the 6 months, but to me that seems quite pitiful considering we won't be able to use our outside space due to dust/noise etc and WFH will become far less enjoyable.

What are the thoughts GD?

Thank you!

move

Soldato
The only thing mentally challenged in this thread is the idea that the OP should be able to live rent free for 6 months because his neighbour (Who happens to be his landlord) is building a shed in the garden. My point all along has been if it wasn't his landlord but another neighbour no one would bat an eyelid at it.

I mean if I'm so wrong then I'm on to an absolute winner, because they are building a block of flats at the top of my street and just got planning for a semi detached house on the wasteland over the road, so I'm ringing Santander this morning to demand that I don't have to pay my mortgage for 3 years whilst the work is ongoing due to me not being able to enjoy my property.

Anyway I'm out. No point trying to reason with people that just throw insults about rather than debate.

PS, not mentally challenged. Masters degree and a very good job in the field of pointing out the logical and obvious to people that cant see it, otherwise known as engineering. Its amazing how many people you come across in life that can be so illogical.

The fact you needed to state your educational qualifications and experience gives the impression of trying to substitute for something.
Not sure what...

Caporegime
I could pick apart all your posts one by one, explaining why you're wrong, but there's no need as there's not a single person in this thread agreeing with you so it's fairly evident that you have no clue what you're talking about.

To top if off, all your posts are undermined by your own lack of basic comprehension skills, as evidenced here:

That is not the property or garden that the work is being done in

The OP even explains it, in actual words, with no imaginary bold or caps, in the first post of this thread:

I live in a basement flat with a split garden - we have the ~2m nearest the house

I'm still struggling to understand how you're not getting it so I will simply assume you're either trolling, talking out your poop chute, or lack the mental ability to grasp these basic concepts and leave it at that. At this point you're so wrong that trying to engage in a conversation feels like talking to a wall covered in crayon. Good luck to you, you're gonna need it ;)

Soldato
At the very least, the decimel point is one place too far to the left. ;)

You are losing access to your garden from the sound of things and you will have a load of noise going on from 0800, making life at home an absolute misery and even more of an issue if your are working from home due to Covid-19.

Potentially, another lockdown might be a blessing, putting the "home improvements" on hold.

Back
Top Bottom