• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

These 30 Series Are BIG!

Permabanned
Ugh, dimensions of the new Gigabyte 3080 are out and I not sure it will even fit in my case. It seems that Asus and Gigabyte 3080's are 320mm long. That's HUGE!

ne0

ne0

Associate
This is one of the reasons I ditched the whole mini itx thing before this launch. You need a sensible size case with proper airflow for these cards.

Man of Honour
Thing is people who are buying these cards are probably enthusiasts who can afford to ditch traditional HDDs in favour of SSD - the problem in years gone by with big cards was they would often be wedged up against HDDs and in some cases you even had to remove the cage.
From memory I think the biggest card I've had was a GTX280(?) which is about 270mm according to google, so yeah, 320mm sounds massive, even with the HD cage removed I reckon the cage holder might block it, depending on how tall the card is.

Associate
This is one of the reasons I ditched the whole mini itx thing before this launch. You need a sensible size case with proper airflow for these cards.

Still holding out hope for my mini-ITX case, either the FE or one of the EVGA XC3 cards should fit.

Permabanned
OP
Thing is people who are buying these cards are probably enthusiasts who can afford to ditch traditional HDDs in favour of SSD - the problem in years gone by with big cards was they would often be wedged up against HDDs and in some cases you even had to remove the cage.
From memory I think the biggest card I've had was a GTX280(?) which is about 270mm according to google, so yeah, 320mm sounds massive, even with the HD cage removed I reckon the cage holder might block it, depending on how tall the card is.

Problem is some cases just don't have the room, even without any disks. There are a number of relatively short cases out there. I am thinking that I might replace my case.

Associate
I was looking at an upgrade in the new year to a 3080 but checking it against my case (Corsair Carbide 400c) it won't fit as the case also has a h115i fitted at the front with 120mm fans. My 1080gtx only just fits at 10.5in long.

Guess I have some time to plan a bigger upgrade :)

Soldato
I have a mini itx case yet these new cards will fit in easily and even larger cards will slot in too up to 345mm. It’s not what you’ve got it’s how you use it ;)

Associate
Problem is some cases just don't have the room, even without any disks. There are a number of relatively short cases out there. I am thinking that I might replace my case.

It's definitely been a problem for me - 310mm is the absolute max mine will take. I went for the Palit in the end just to be safe.

I really like my case so I'm hoping the next gen won't be bigger again!

Soldato
Ugh, dimensions of the new Gigabyte 3080 are out and I not sure it will even fit in my case. It seems that Asus and Gigabyte 3080's are 320mm long. That's HUGE!

My 1080Ti is 325mm

These cards are no larger than the top-end Turing or Pascal cards, I think it's just that more of them are larger this time, rather than just the top-end models with previous generations.

Back
Top Bottom