• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Ehhh....
I'm stating facts not lies,

PS5 is rated by sony at 350W, those are official specs from 2 days ago
XSX has 315W power supply, you can see it when they zoom on it , it has 255W for APU + memory and 60W for rest of system.

36CU 2,23Ghz 350W PSU
52CU 1.825Ghz 315W PSU

Xbox looks promising if you are looking for RDNA 2 performance but PS5 is just overvolted and overclocked box, they done it in act of desperation, nothing more, PS5 has nothing to do with RDNA 2.
PS5 is missing lots of RDNA 2 features

Yep this is why the PS5 is so much larger than the Series X - because it pulls more power from the wall to feed that aggressive overclock.

Sony made a really dumb choice of GPU.

What it does show is that RDNA2 GPUs can't hit massive clocks without massive TDP. 2.3ghz on a big Navi will be massive TDP

Soldato
For years I've heard about Nvidia's 'mind share' but I have never really appreciated how strong it was until a couple of days ago when the released the RTX 3080. Fanboys on Twitter and other platforms were losing their minds because they were unable to get a hold of one of these cards. Traffic on the OCUK store was so high the site slowed down to a slow crawl and eventually crashed...... twice. Just reading through some of the threads on here and see a bunch of new users and users with a handful of posts for accounts that were opened years ago.

It doesn't matter how good RDNA2 is, AMD will never be able to match a company who has crafted such a customer base. Nvidia killer? At best this is a good Nvidia alternative.

Soldato
For years I've heard about Nvidia's 'mind share' but I have never really appreciated how strong it was until a couple of days ago when the released the RTX 3080. Fanboys on Twitter and other platforms were losing their minds because they were unable to get a hold of one of these cards. Traffic on the OCUK store was so high the site slowed down to a slow crawl and eventually crashed...... twice. Just reading through some of the threads on here and see a bunch of new users and users with a handful of posts for accounts that were opened years ago.

It doesn't matter how good RDNA2 is, AMD will never be able to match a company who has crafted such a customer base. Nvidia killer? At best this is a good Nvidia alternative.

I quite like it as if prefer to give AMD my money. This just takes all the crazy impatient people away for competing to buy the cards I want :D I see people talking about "freaking out" because they don't know where their order is. Really? Over a GPU? The mind boggles. This hobby does seem to attract some oddballs, more so than some others I've participated in.

Soldato
There are fanatics on both sides.. i pity them, I am personally interested in how Intel can bring balance to the game
There's a couple of videos show casing demo Tiger Lake chips with Xe graphics and so far Xe is shaping up to be not the damp squib that certain people said it would be. I know it's only mobile but it's the first time I've seen Intel graphics ahead of it's competitors since.......well since ever.

Soldato
Ehhh....
I'm stating facts not lies,

PS5 is rated by sony at 350W, those are official specs from 2 days ago
XSX has 315W power supply, you can see it when they zoom on it , it has 255W for APU + memory and 60W for rest of system.

36CU 2,23Ghz 350W PSU
52CU 1.825Ghz 315W PSU

Xbox looks promising if you are looking for RDNA 2 performance but PS5 is just overvolted and overclocked box, they done it in act of desperation, nothing more, PS5 has nothing to do with RDNA 2.
PS5 is missing lots of RDNA 2 features

You are aware the watts of a PSU are not the same as TDP right? The PSU will be rated way above the actual power draw needed. So TDP for the systems is way lower than the actual PSU power rating.

Associate
There's a couple of videos show casing demo Tiger Lake chips with Xe graphics and so far Xe is shaping up to be not the damp squib that certain people said it would be. I know it's only mobile but it's the first time I've seen Intel graphics ahead of it's competitors since.......well since ever.

Here's a leak that came in sometime ago:

https://www.kitguru.net/components/...and-dg2-graphics-cards-specs-may-have-leaked/

Intel is going MCM with Xe, if they are able to pack even 2 of those, Nvidia's pants are down and AMD will be holding emergency shareholder events :)

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Even with the latest incarnation of DLSS there are still way too many instances of temporal artefacts where it doesn't handle motion well for my liking (which static screenshots don't show) - the only time I'd accept that compromise was if it made advanced ray tracing feasible at higher framerates.

I agree but if you hate down too much on it people will label you permanently. :)

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats

Dont need to say anything to this post but its reality.

Associate
If a 60 CU card were 350mm^2 then that density is lower then NV are getting on a reworked 10nm Samsung node with Ampere.

AMD could quite easily push density up to that used by Renoir and GA100 which would make a 60 CU card with a 256bit bus in the 250mm^2 region. (around 15B xtors)

With that density they could also have an 80CU card with 384 bit bus in a 350mm^2 die size region. (21B xtors)

I think 60CUs at moderate clockspeeds on a 250mm^2 die would be a great card. It could go toe to toe with the 3070 and would probably be really power efficient because AMD could back off from max clocks. Same with an 80CU part, that many CUs at reasonable clocks would be playing in the 3080 region and be using less power. This would make the cards easier to cool, they would probably overclock well and it gives AMD the chance to bring out clock boosted versions ala the 4890 or 7970 Ghz edition if Nvidia have something to respond with.

EDIT: I should probably add the caveat that this is on the basis that there is not a huge increase in cache which would use transistors and die area.

Nobody has ruled out an 80 CU Big Navi so I do NOT know where you got "the fact" that Biggest Navi will not have 80 CU. All evidence seems to point to 80 CU for biggest Navi and 64 for lesser models.

Associate
*Rumor
We really don't have much to go on this time around with Radeon rdna 2 gpus. From the rumors it is alleged that the performance per watt has gone up from 50% to 60%. Also all remnants of GNC have been removed with RDNA 2 which will impact performance.

There is supposedly four skus. 2 in the mid-range, 2 in the higher end. I find it hard to believe that 60 cu's is the max. Top teir rdna2 is alleged to use hbm2/hbm2e.

Rumor does have it AMD expected the performance of ampere and was not impressed. Whatever that means. And contrary to the conspiracy that Nvidia is shortening supply I've heard that they just don't have enough units to sell.

Suggesting that is why AMD is so calm cool, collective and quite. AMD is expecting their units to be low up until they are ready to release.
Good point Since it has not been leaked recently that the biggest Navi 21 card is less tahn 80 CU why some clunk heads think that is so is not credible. They sound more like Nvidia apologists. To surpass the 3080 and the coming 3080 Ti AMD will save its flagship card to have a full 80 cu in the die. Anything else seems preposterous.

Pet Northerner
Don
Yep this is why the PS5 is so much larger than the Series X - because it pulls more power from the wall to feed that aggressive overclock.

Sony made a really dumb choice of GPU.

What it does show is that RDNA2 GPUs can't hit massive clocks without massive TDP. 2.3ghz on a big Navi will be massive TDP

it's funny that people continue to have a go at AMD for power usage when the 3080 is off the effin scale!

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/nvidia-rtx-3080-can-it-run-crysis-remastered/

Colorful RTX 3080 iGame Advanced

Average: 37.46 fps
99th percentile: 25.66 fps
Average power draw: 319W
Peak power draw: 386W

And it seems to need all that power to be able to run the game at that level, with the average power draw sitting at 319W with a peak of 386W. That's just the board power, not platform power. Nvidia has provided us with its PCAT power measurement tool, which enables us to get readings directly from the power connectors so we know exactly how much juice the card as a whole is drawing.

Like the newer intel chips, nvidia are dumping power through the silicone to beat AMD, but nvidia seem to get a pass.

HRL

HRL

Soldato

I disagree. If AMD came out with a product that was good enough people would certainly buy them. Nvidia only have that massive market share due to having better cards, not because they’re produced by Nvidia.

However, GPU’s do seem to bring out some sort of tribalism for a minority of people. Definitely brings out the fanboyism amongst a few on here.

Bring out a 3090 beating card AMD and you already have a sale from me and many many others!

Soldato
I disagree. If AMD came out with a product that was good enough people would certainly buy them. Nvidia only have that massive market share due to having better cards, not because they’re produced by Nvidia.

However, GPU’s do seem to bring out some sort of tribalism for a minority of people. Definitely brings out the fanboyism amongst a few on here.

Bring out a 3090 beating card AMD and you already have a sale from me and many many others!

I totally agree with you, although I do question their release methods. They appear to have coincided with the console release and not directly with the nvidia release. If they'd released specs, benchmarks or a few reviews ahead of nvidia, more people may have waited. Their time frames are rather odd but I'm looking forward to what they will be like.

If they can pull something out the bag, like match the 3080 for 100-150 less, they'll be onto a winner. Fingers crossed.

Soldato
I totally agree with you, although I do question their release methods. They appear to have coincided with the console release and not directly with the nvidia release. If they'd released specs, benchmarks or a few reviews ahead of nvidia, more people may have waited. Their time frames are rather odd but I'm looking forward to what they will be like.

If they can pull something out the bag, like match the 3080 for 100-150 less, they'll be onto a winner. Fingers crossed.

Indeed

HRL

HRL

Soldato

As a prospective 3090 owner, though unlikely to be able to get one on my birthday no less next week, I just need more grunt to try to drive 4K/120. If only AMD would surprise us all and at least tease us with something right up there prior to their release next month.

It may just be an announcement too, AMD haven’t actually provided launch dates have they?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom