Votes: 104 11.7%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Caporegime
OP
Agreed, 1S will really be more functional than wow. Aside from launching in the next gen I personally wouldn't consider it so

It is though? It has a next-generation GPU (RDNA 2), a current Zen 2 CPU and NVMe storage. What's missing in terms of next-gen? The ability to produce a resolution higher than 1440p? A lot of PC gamers would disagree there.

Caporegime
It is though? It has a next-generation GPU (RDNA 2), a current Zen 2 CPU and NVMe storage. What's missing in terms of next-gen? The ability to produce a resolution higher than 1440p? A lot of PC gamers would disagree there.

I was checking and I don't think my 3 year old OLED TV supports 1440p/120 which is the max output from Xbox series s.

Started looking at other TVs from similar age and couldn't find much support, although I don't look too hard as I'm not planning on buying a new TV!

Now I'm wondering if the series S is really just aimed at PC gamers who are likely to have native 1440p monitors in a lot of cases and also high refresh rates.

I will still get Series S as I'm sure it will all scale well to 4k for TV owners. Plus I already bought 26 months of gamepass :D

rp2000

Caporegime
1080P is probably still the most common TV owned and even more so in poorer parts of the world where the lower end model will be more appealing. Microsoft tend to support non-standard resolutions so the 1440P/120hz support is probably down to HDMI 2.0 limitation rather than a conscious decision to target it.

Last edited:
Soldato
As I have said I genuinely cannot tell the difference between 1440p and 4K on my 65” OLED. Tbh I would be happy if the Series X internally rendered at 1440 with the extra headroom used on effects and lighting etc.

Soldato
Now I have a One X I've realised how good 1080p with loads of antialiasing etc looks on a 1080p 42 inch. Looks detailed and sharp and no jaggies to be seen

Witcher 3 looks incredible as does FH3

Oh and decent draw distances. I really struggled with my Xbox One I think its the less than 1080p, fogginess, low draw distances, jaggies, but fixed with One X

Also I've come to conclusion frame rate isn't quite everything as on the One X 30fps seems much smoother not sure if its consistency of frame rates as in locked solid or what but feels smoother than my PC gaming

Soldato
1440/60 with all graphic options on would be good enough for me on my 55" OLED. I'm not a fan of compromises on different modes on consoles just make it the best that it can be and if it needs scaling back effects at 4k then don't go there.

Soldato
Does anyone know much about Xbox all access in here. My sister has asked me if I can get it for her as her credit rating is shot due to past events, so isn't sure if she'd get accepted. How will the Games pass ultimate work? In that I don't want it attaching automatically to the email address I use to sign up for the scheme as that is my own xbox account with my own games pass subscription active. Do they just send you a key for the 2 years ultimate when you sign up and get the console, then can just activate it on that console?

Soldato
1440/60 with all graphic options on would be good enough for me on my 55" OLED. I'm not a fan of compromises on different modes on consoles just make it the best that it can be and if it needs scaling back effects at 4k then don't go there.
Think you need to wait and temper your expectations. There will be compromise I think to hit 120.

Caporegime
OP
Does anyone know much about Xbox all access in here. My sister has asked me if I can get it for her as her credit rating is shot due to past events, so isn't sure if she'd get accepted. How will the Games pass ultimate work? In that I don't want it attaching automatically to the email address I use to sign up for the scheme as that is my own xbox account with my own games pass subscription active. Do they just send you a key for the 2 years ultimate when you sign up and get the console, then can just activate it on that console?

I'll let you know about the credit rating on Tuesday as my finances are awful, too. :D
Game Pass Ultimate is tied to the console. So you can choose any gamertag to redeem it, either during initial setup or later on down the line.

Associate
HDR is yesteryear now. The Xbox Series are eventually going to have Dolby Vision which will be a step up further.
I'm looking forward to see the first Dolby Vision title, I was hoping this generation would incorporate it, I think dynamic metadata will work well with games.....whenever the Dolby Vision logo pops up in the corner of my LG I still get a tingle in my nether regions :D

Soldato
HDR is yesteryear now. The Xbox Series are eventually going to have Dolby Vision which will be a step up further.

Dolby Vision is HDR just different standard (with some advantages) so some mixed wording there.

Current One S and One X already have Dolby Vision don't they ?

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Dolby Vision is HDR just different standard (with some advantages) so some mixed wording there.

Current One S and One X already have Dolby Vision don't they ?

Yes, of course, I meant primarily HDR10 when I said "HDR is yesteryear" :p

And the Xbones do support it, yes, but I don't think there are any games using DV yet, just streaming media?

Caporegime
The problem with Dolby Vision is it's a bit niche even a lot of high end TV's don't support it due to licensing costs, HDR10+ is probably going to be where it's at.

Soldato
The problem with Dolby Vision is it's a bit niche even a lot of high end TV's don't support it due to licensing costs, HDR10+ is probably going to be where it's at.

HDR10+ isn’t particularly well supported though. It’s been badly supported so far. I do prefer DV overall, it’s pretty cool to see they will support DV in game.

Back
Top Bottom