• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

So, decided on a 3080? Which manufacturer and why?

Associate
Heads up, that no longer the case apparently. No longer in UK and it’s gone downhill.

EVGA definitely give less Fs about their UK customer base as mentioned lately. Closing down the UK RMA centre namely and seemed to have binned their UK social media accounts with it (no posts since Jul-Nov’19)

But I think they can still provide ‘good service’. Just the costly shipping to Germany being the main problem. And clearly a lack of focus on the UK customer base being a kick in the face.

Oh that's a real shame! The last time I used their support was when my 970 started artifacting (around the time the 10 series was out) and they replaced it with a 1060 free of charge. Shipping any RMA card to Germany will only get more expensive and time consuming.

Associate
I went for the TUF Gaming. I wanted as close to msrp as I could get and I'm departing from my normal routine of water cooling (I hate losing the heft and sense of value when removing the cooler) so, somewhat shallow maybe but went for a big heavy card with a dark colour theme. I also liked the reviews - cool and quiet - big selling point.

This delay has had some bonuses. I enjoy messing around with my case, a P3 and printing parts to alter its layout. I wanted to mount the radiator inside the case and rear mount the fans but didn't want the downtime. Anyhow, no 3080 means I can take my time and get that done without rushing. Its now shaping up and looks look to see an open loop and no fans.

Also, I've have the 2080ti, 1080ti and 980ti consecutively the past few years and I've just picked up a 1070 game rock for cheap last night and its been fun getting the most out of that. Surprising in fact.

Last edited:
Associate
Asus is playing with the clock numbers in a shady way. One thing is the clock they set the card to, and a different thing is what the card reaches with Boost. Take the TUF for example, it comes at 1745Mhz out of the box but it reaches around 1930Mhz with Boost. THIS is the speed that Asus is now advertising in order to appear faster than other cards. The Gaming X Trio and the FTW3 are 1815Mhz and 1800Mhz out of the box BEFORE boost which translate to around 1985Mhz AFTER boost. Just look at reviews and you will see.

Soldato
Boost as we know is a red herring, its what the card can sustain. I've no doubt btw the Strix will do well but just to point out DeBauer's TUF OC @£689 boosted to 1930 and he rightly points out that could be an unusually good chip
I definitely think reviewers are getting binned cards that perform well, we’ll soon see as more cards hit users hands..

Soldato
Asus is playing with the clock numbers in a shady way. One thing is the clock they set the card to, and a different thing is what the card boosts with Boost. Take the TUF for example, it comes at 1745Mhz out of the box but it reaches around 1930Mhz with Boost. THIS is the speed that Asus is now advertising in order to appear faster than other cards. The Gaming X Trio and the FTW3 are 1815Mhz and 1800Mhz out of the box BEFORE boost which translate to around 1985Mhz sustained.

The base clock of all models is 1440Mhz, boost clocks are a minimum to expect, however silicon lottery is at play and some will reach 1900+ easily and some won’t.. 1 or 2 FE reviews showed lower clocks than most which suggests not all cards are the same.. mind you as I said above, time will tell...

I hope that reviewers aren’t getting carefully selected cards or people may be disappointed if all they get is the lower claimed values.

Associate
TUF looks good from a temp mgmt perspective.. i am in the market for a 3090 though, hopefully 3080 TUF's performance translates to the 3090
but the founder's edition sure looks ginormous..
sometimes i wonder if its all about base plate machining.. maybe those fancy innovations count for nothing

Soldato
I definitely think reviewers are getting binned cards that perform well, we’ll soon see as more cards hit users hands..

Possibly, but mine is, for once, doing exactly what the reviews say.
Running furmark/kombuster its only hitting 64 deg peak,and settling at a boost of ~1950
Running Unigene Heaven Benchmark, its peaking at 72 deg and boosting to a solid 2100.
Setting the fan to 60% gives me a minor lift in noise (still very quiet) and sits at the same boost on Heaven with just a 63 deg peak temps.

Associate
Possibly, but mine is, for once, doing exactly what the reviews say.
Running furmark/kombuster its only hitting 64 deg peak,and settling at a boost of ~1950
Running Unigene Heaven Benchmark, its peaking at 72 deg and boosting to a solid 2100.
Setting the fan to 60% gives me a minor lift in noise (still very quiet) and sits at the same boost on Heaven with just a 63 deg peak temps.
Nice, you got a Gaming X Trio right?

Soldato
sometimes i wonder if its all about base plate machining.. maybe those fancy innovations count for nothing

My first thought when I saw the FE was its not going to be the best cooled.
1. no matter what, using fans to exhaust heat sideways is inefficient always has been IMO.
2. There is no fan in the middle, so you are relying on passive cooling there.
3. the whole enclosed case is on 2 slots, so that and the recessed fans = less heatsink.

Associate
Nice, I will get mine at some point, just waiting lol

It just proves its a really good card. People are giving it **** because of out of the box temps but that is because the stock fan curve is too low. If you set it to normal noise levels like the TUF, it's a monster.

Associate
TUF looks good from a temp mgmt perspective.. i am in the market for a 3090 though, hopefully 3080 TUF's performance translates to the 3090
but the founder's edition sure looks ginormous..

I think in the case of the 3090 there is more potential for the FE because unlike the 3080 with 10GB you've got vram on two sides. Where the FE is a bit more meh is power limits but that's just my opinion I know no more than the next person

Associate
Yeah, but there's also this thing weighing on my mind that Asus' assembly lines are fully automated.. the only manufacturer who can assemble PCBs without human hands touching them, though i should say i am equally swayed by the founder's edition's size..
but i believe that shouldn't be a problem.. cuz the founders edition is going to be as rare as unicorns :)

Associate
Gone for EVGA XC3 Ultra, will fit nicely in my NXZT 400 , with plenty of space/airflow below the card (2.2 slot and no ridiculous amount of LED's (see the FTW) and only negative is the sad red clown mouth/bat mobile outline on the end of the card, which EVGA are apparently going to be offering free replacements for). And it's also smaller than my current ASUS 1080ti in both length and width, with the same height (ie the same as the rear port)

Soldato
Boost as we know is a red herring, its what the card can sustain. I've no doubt btw the Strix will do well but just to point out DeBauer's TUF OC @£689 boosted to 1930 and he rightly points out that could be an unusually good chip

I take the boost shown by reviewers with a pinch of salt, that is down to silicon lottery of which they always seem to win for some odd reason, wonder what that could be, and I rarely manage to get same boost as them, but I do listen to them on cooling performance.

Back
Top Bottom