• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Payment Taken with No Stock?

Soldato
Why are people defending this? Just take payment before shipping, the best way and right way. Only reason I pre-ordered a PS5 from GAME.

Because they think that because they post on overclockers forums they think that they are invested in the company and as such they can do no wrong. It's bizarre.

Associate
the more people QQing and cancelling orders means my position in the queue keeps going up. OcUk had NEVER shown cards as in stock, they were all pre-order (with limited stock for the lucky few) so I'm waiting patiently for my card now. Hopefully by the time I get it I benefit from A: reserving the RRP I paid on launch and B: have any niggly driver issues largely resolved. That's a win win to me :)

Associate
The entitlement is astonishing.

In a market of high demand, any retailer will be paying a higher base cost to secure more unit, if they wanted more money and ride out the hype they would have cancelled your order, raise the price tag and let the FOMOers to buy in at an even higher price and therefore sustain their margin.

The fact that they retain your order while honouring the original price, while potentially having to lose their margin to secure more cards to fulfill your order, is what these entitled customer do not see.

Go, vote with your wallet. Nobody cares, I'm sure OcUK certainly don't either.

lose their margin

Associate
Let me think what huge retailer let's you pre-order and not only guarantees that price but also the cheapest price and doesn't take payment until despatch.
They take payment as soon as you order now for items which are released but not in stock as was the case here.
OcUK didn't take orders until the product was released so no different except possibly for the semantics.
As for actual pre-orders, I don't know what the other company does these days.

Associate
Has anybody who ordered cards yesterday before the site crushed, have their MSI X TRIO 3080's status' shipped? Since they said a all the MSI cards in stock was shipped earlier today, I am trying to figure out if I am on queue

Soldato
. OcUk had NEVER shown cards as in stock, they were all pre-order (with limited stock for the lucky few) so I'm waiting patiently for my card now. Hopefully by the time I get it I benefit from A: reserving the RRP I paid on launch and B: have any niggly driver issues largely resolved. That's a win win to me :)

They did have some showing in stock for a bit when store came back to life around 5ish - was showing 10+ palit and 9 zotac cards for a bit for me :p

Soldato
They take payment as soon as you order now for items which are released but not in stock as was the case here.
OcUK didn't take orders until the product was released so no different except possibly for the semantics.
As for actual pre-orders, I don't know what the other company does these days.
What. No idea what retailer your thinking of.
Amazon is who I was referring to, I thought that extremely obvious.

Soldato
OP not sure where you generally shop. Am aware Amazon does it different but places like Scan also take monies for preorders, so does every mountain bike company I've ever used and when you purchase say a digital game off steam or epic, they also do. If that date gets pushed back or ETA changes etc then they still have taken the monies.

For whatever reason Amazon checks you have the funds at time and you go through payment procedure but they don't take payment for pre-order till it's dispatched which one time caught me out cause I had assumed they had taken payment already and then I didn't have funds 3 week's later for them to do so as it was day before payday for instance.

Personally I prefer my money is taken when I make a purchase so I can know it's all paid and sorted and move on with other things.

Soldato
I don't mind it, prices can easily go up, having the payment taken means it's one and done. I have preordered the twin x2 oc card and I'm waiting patiently. You can always cancel your preorder and get your money back so I do not know where the fuss is coming from.

Anyone who's bought a 1080ti knows that prices for extremely popular and powerful cards only slowly go up over time. It's not my first rodeo.

Associate
Personally I prefer my money is taken when I make a purchase so I can know it's all paid and sorted and move on with other things.

just to point out you have made a purchase - there is no legal definition of pre-order. You either have a contract to buy or you don't. The lack of stock does not actually make a difference. You've paid overclockers for a card and they will deliver (when they have stock).

Associate
Anyone who's bought a 1080ti knows that prices for extremely popular and powerful cards only slowly go up over time. It's not my first rodeo.

Yep, I got stung with the 2080Ti. Decided to wait a bit for all the issues to be sorted out, then BOOSH! £1200+. I've got my order in, paid what I was hoping to pay, now I wait. When it arrives I'll smile, having gotten my purchase price locked in at around RRP :)

Soldato
just to point out you have made a purchase - there is no legal definition of pre-order. You either have a contract to buy or you don't. The lack of stock does not actually make a difference. You've paid overclockers for a card and they will deliver (when they have stock).

That's good and all, unless you want to use those funds elsewhere to buy a card (as unlikely as it is).
Now you need to go through the rigmarole of getting a refund and waiting however long that takes, instead of them taking the money pre-dispatch, but post pre-order.

I didn't order from here though as other websites were working for me first on checkout, shame - I got as far as the payment page and it crapped out; you'd think at that point it wouldn't queue your request and give it priority, especially since it's going through the banking auth page.
But what I do I know, really :p

Caporegime
Seems there is a lot of unhappy people of late and I do understand the frustration of ordering an item, paying for it and then having to wait for a month or 3 before you get it. I was never bothered about the money coming out of my account in truth and at least I knew that it was paid for and it was just a case of waiting. I guess the issue for some is seeing the money go and another store gets stock in and they can't get it, as their money is "resting in OcUKs account'.

I do understand the frustration of buying something and not getting it though, so vent away and hopefully the wait isn't too long :)

Caporegime
Why so angry easy? Let me guess, you did not manage to get a 3080 did you?

That easyshuffle of yours left you doing the five knuckle shuffle instead :p

Hahahaha :D

lol,

I didn’t even try to order....I’ll get one when fully in stock...I’m in no rush...people getting angry over silicon makes me depressed...

They are acting like spoilt kids...:(:o

Back
Top Bottom