When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
To be fair they have a pretty comprehensive onslaught coming. The idea of the i3 carbon was to reduce the amount you needed to spend on the batteries, however the price of cells have dropped hugely over the life of i3 so its no surprise that and the customer acceptance of such a car (reflected in sales) has meant they have had to alter their plans.

Soldato
The i3 was never going to be cheap with its carbon fibre tub and so much new tech, but it was one of the first to market in mass production so logic says they could have used that knowledge to make another model or a replacement with all the things learned at a cheaper/more profitable price point but they simply didn't.

Problem with a CF tub is it also adds other expenses and makes maintenance costs higher, as people discovered with the 4C :\

Not sure but did we have the merc EQS specs on here at any point, its seeming to move the range up a fair bit (at a very premium cost of course)

There are some differences in specs between sources, but some of the I need to drive for 20 million miles on a charge/tank and it cannot take 3 weeks to recharge ;) etc comments
Some of the specs are pretty impressive, note of course that the infrastructure remains one of the issues outside the tesla network

Over 400 mile range
Less that 20 minutes for 0-80% charge, so 320+ miles extra in 20 mins, if the infrastructure is available

https://www.carwow.co.uk/mercedes/news/4267/mercedes-eqs-price-specs-release-date

Surely even for pretty high mileage drivers thats getting to the point where the infrastructure is really the only thing holding it back
(assuming you have around £100k to spend on a car though)

Its basically the geeks version of the S class

Soldato
Sales numbers were apparently poor and then fell off a cliff at the start of this year. It's way to expensive for a basic hatchback. The i8 was supercar money and looks like one, but isn't.

I remember when an i3 REx (the one with the small petrol generator) was one of the most coveted EVs. Around 80 miles range from the battery, and 150 as a hybrid.

Really wanted one back in the day. But it hasn't stood the test of time at all. It has a bit of a bad reputation on the reliability front, and being a beemer, repairs aren't cheap. Still cost nonsense money too. Five years old, 120,000 miles, £11k? No thanks.

Man of Honour
A car having good residual value should not been seen as a bad thing regardless where your purchase entry point is.

This surely depends on the use of the car doesn't it? If the retained value is not enough to offset the additional running costs caused by it's age and mileage then the fact you need 11k for a high mileage car is a negative and you'd be better off with something newer that trades running costs for depreciation instead at the same price point.

Plus irrespective of it's future value the more a car costs to buy the higher the cost of capital used to buy it.

Soldato
It’s rarely a spiky curve is it?! It wasn’t a comment for the i3 just this idea that old cars should be worth next to nothing just because... well I don’t know. This is even odder when it’s an electric car, the definition of minimal moving parts to wear out!
Your view of running costs is probably just skewed ‘cos of the 60k BMW warranty theshold where as cars have never really cos me anything due to age just purely consumables. I bought a Honda on 126k as you probably recall!

I would agree though running a 110k car for 40k or so does make it quite a different story when you come to sell it though.

Associate
There would be no need suppliers should just encourage smart meters and variable rates like octopus go maybe with slightly extended hours. Then the majority would just charge in the early hours as it would be cheaper, battery is warmed up for morning so more efficient and also can preheat car from mains for morning commute

Soldato
It’s rarely a spiky curve is it?! It wasn’t a comment for the i3 just this idea that old cars should be worth next to nothing just because... well I don’t know. This is even odder when it’s an electric car, the definition of minimal moving parts to wear out!
Your view of running costs is probably just skewed ‘cos of the 60k BMW warranty theshold where as cars have never really cos me anything due to age just purely consumables. I bought a Honda on 126k as you probably recall!

I would agree though running a 110k car for 40k or so does make it quite a different story when you come to sell it though.

yep there’s a lot of stuff on an ice that wears with age and mileage and is considered a consumable that simply doesn’t exist on evs. It’s probably why the i3 retains its value as you don’t need to swap a clutch and o2 sensor at 111k
On and replace a leaking valve cover gasket.

Soldato
With "smart chargers".

But you could just disconnect them from whatever network they are attached to I guess :p

The article actually says gen3 smart meters, so the energy supplier has control not just a charger vendor...

It already exists with large demand consumers such as supermarkets who are connected to the transmission networks to balance demand spikes - known as triad periods.

Soldato
Really seeing a lot of Model 3's around now. Will be interesting at the end of this year to see UK sales figures. Probably still won't be that many compared to the 3-Series, just seems like there are quite a few.

Soldato
Looks like my Polestar 2 has arrived in the UK and waiting on a handover booking now! Just booked my installation of an Anderson Charge Point which is looking about 6 weeks. Luckily there are council provided free to use fast chargers within walking distance of my house!

Man of Honour
Really seeing a lot of Model 3's around now. Will be interesting at the end of this year to see UK sales figures. Probably still won't be that many compared to the 3-Series, just seems like there are quite a few.

Company cars. The savings are enormous since the government removed company car tax.

Soldato
The whole turning down/off chargers thing has been discussed for a few years and is very much a part of the plan and has been for some time. It’s meant to be taken along side other measures taken like smart meters and dynamic pricing.

Sorry, I can't get to work today. My energy company switched off my car charger. What on earth.

It would be to manage the 5-8pm peek and they’ll also deploy other nudges through normal smart meters. It’s there to tackle the people who get home at 5.30, plug in their car, turn on the kettle, oven, ans washing machine all at the same time at the busiest point of the day. There no incentive not to do what when you have a flat price regardless of the time of day. I expect you would also be able to override it manually if needed but be charged accordingly. Nothing stopping you rolling out a 3 pin plug if your really desperate.

It’s very rare events, plus might be to manage a 30 minute spike. Seems more pragmatic than building another power station.

Exactly, not only that the power stations which are there to manage the peek demand are dirtiest form of generation which can be spun up for short periods at short notice (e.g. fossil fuel powered) or really expensive/limited capacity (pumped hydro or batteries).

Back
Top Bottom