• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Associate
Most people paid closer to £1200 but regardless, even at £1000, the price/performance was worse than the 1080Ti was at launch.

At the time of launch, the 1080ti were still riding the mining high and hitting around the 700-800 mark and very difficult to find. For 250 more I was pretty happy with having a new gen. A 1080ti sadly isn't strong enough to do 120hz per eye in VR for sim racing. Use cases matter to me more than price to performance. Of course cheaper is always better!

Soldato
The 2080ti was always an abysmal purchase. The 3080 seems a little better value, that's if you can ever actually buy one anyway...

its looking like having bought the 2080ti, the 3xxx is going to be the first time in a long time that I've skipped a generation, if the 2080ti lasts me over 4 years it will have been incredible value - it will have cost me about 70p a day

Caporegime
The 2080ti was always an abysmal purchase. The 3080 seems a little better value, that's if you can ever actually buy one anyway...
The 2080Ti was the only real choice for 4k gaming. It's been a great card. Yes they were expensive, but hardly "abysmal".
The 2080 Ti was certainly not "abysmal" if you bought it at the very start of the generation as the performance was a clear leap ahead of any other card at higher resolutions and the residual value stayed high almost throughout its entire lifecycle. In fact, I would go as far as to say it was the smart buy of the generation... IF you bought it at release and sold it before 3080 was announced.

Soldato
The 2080Ti was the only real choice for 4k gaming. It's been a great card. Yes they were expensive, but hardly "abysmal".

Agreed. Had mine since launch and it has played many games in 4k where my 1080Ti just couldn’t manage. Still an extremely fast card very little it can’t play at 4k 60hz or 1440p 144hz.

And you have to remember at the time 1080Ti’s even used we’re still £600+. So the only real upgrade path if you wanted it was the 2080Ti.

Id be ****** if I bought one a few months ago but had mine for 2 years and still planning to keep it. Have a 3080 preordered but with these talks of 16/20gb cards i’m just going to cancel it and wait until next generation or next set of 30 series cards if there is any.

Soldato
The 2080 Ti was certainly not "abysmal" if you bought it at the very start of the generation as the performance was a clear leap ahead of any other card at higher resolutions and the residual value stayed high almost throughout its entire lifecycle. In fact, I would go as far as to say it was the smart buy of the generation... IF you bought it at release and sold it before 3080 was announced.

+1

keep saying it never regretted my 1300 for my 2080ti ..

Caporegime
+1

keep saying it never regretted my 1300 for my 2080ti ..
To be honest, even if you didn't sell it before Ampere then is an £800 loss for something that brought you daily joy for 2 years really all that bad? Many of us have spent far more on far less worthy and satisfying things.

Caporegime

even better if you only paid £750 each with water blocks like mine. Only 18 months ago so haven’t had the use as long but have had a 4K screen for over three years and the Titan Xp just wasn’t cutting it anymore

Soldato
More curious about content creation benchmarks than gaming for the 3090. Can't imagine a lot of people would way that much more for 10%~ more performance

Back
Top Bottom