• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Who's cancelling then, given the 20GB/16GB VRAM leaks and the pre-order debacle?

Soldato
As title.

I might give it a few days just to let things settle, but given the strong rumours now appearing very solid on upcoming 20GB Vram 3080 variants, and 3070Ti's with 16GB...
https://www.techpowerup.com/272334/nvidia-readies-rtx-3060-8gb-and-rtx-3080-20gb-models

...I reckon I'm cancelling my 3080 order.

Can't be bothered with the uncertainty, misinformation and shady practices going on. And buying a new card with less Vram than my current 1080Ti just doesn't feel right does it? Go on, be honest, it's stupid.

I reckon the 20GB versions will be 'out' (whatever that means) within 3 months too...

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd like to, but I sold my much loved 1080Ti Hybrid a couple of weeks ago (while it was worth something, and was sellable) in preparation. So as much as I would like to wait for the 3080Ti. I can't afford to lose my place in the queue (yes I can't believe I've said that) as life on a crappy little laptop isn't fun. So I'm sat waiting it out, as I didn't forsee this 3080 debacle, that I can imagine will only continue with the 3070 and AMD's offering. It looks like there is going to be real shortages into next year! But we can live in hope

Soldato
As title.

I might give it a few days just to let things settle, but given the strong rumours now appearing very solid on upcoming 20GB Vram 3080 variants, and 3070Ti's with 16GB, I reckon I'm cancelling my 3080 order.

Can't be bothered with the uncertainty, misinformation and shady practices going on. And buying a new card with less Vram than my current 1080Ti just doesn't feel right does it? Go on, be honest, it's stupid.

I reckon the 20GB versions will be 'out' (whatever that means) within 3 months too...

probs and you’ll struggle to get one of them aswell.

Soldato
I must admit, the main reason i have not even thought about buying any 3000 series yet, is the VRAM issue. My view is that the main reason peeps are jumping all over the 3080's is because of the price, the price is what it is because 20GB of VRAM would make the cards dearer.
Nvidia screwed 2080ti owners over on price, they are doing the same again because once 20GB cards launch the £700 3080 peeps have just bought will be next to worthless.

Soldato
As title.

I might give it a few days just to let things settle, but given the strong rumours now appearing very solid on upcoming 20GB Vram 3080 variants, and 3070Ti's with 16GB, I reckon I'm cancelling my 3080 order.

You're right the gimped VRAM 3080 makes no sense coming from a 1080ti. Who buys a GPU with less VRAM than they had before?

The best plan for most was to wait it out, have a look at all the cards, all the variants from both camps then make an informed choice, instead we got a mad rush for cards that didn't exist, when those cards will be superceded within months anyway.

Soldato
Its funny, because I thought 11Gb was wasted on my 1080Ti. I never came anywhere near 10Gb, with all the bells and whistles turned on at 1440p, trying to run high refresh rates. So the 3080 looks to tick all the right boxes for all the reviews I've seen at 1440p and using the rtx features. Like a lot of reviewers have said, by the time you need more than 10Gb in the majority of titles, it'll be time to move onto another gpu generation.

Soldato
Its funny, because I thought 11Gb was wasted on my 1080Ti. I never came anywhere near 10Gb, with all the bells and whistles turned on at 1440p, trying to run high refresh rates. So the 3080 looks to tick all the right boxes for all the reviews I've seen at 1440p and using the rtx features. Like a lot of reviewers have said, by the time you need more than 10Gb in the majority of titles, it'll be time to move onto another gpu generation.

I take it you don't run MS flight Sim then ?

Associate
I am just cancelling on principle alone. I paid £699 for a pre-order in the rush after the website went down and the card is now listed at £689.
The £699 has been taken. This is not ok as far as I am concerned especially after the pre-order price dropped. This whole experience has left a sour taste in my mouth and much bigger things in life worry about. I will just wait for AMD to appear and see IF these VRAM leaks are true.

Soldato
OP

Yep, MS flight sim I've seen using 10GB Vram. Also, fired up my modded Skyrim SE just to test and after a minute of running around I was at 9GB Vram usage (this is at 3440x1440 btw).

Now, I know people will say is this 'allocated' Vram or actually in use? I'll be honest I don't know, but it makes me twitchy buying a new card (that I'd hope to keep for around 3 years like my 1080Ti) with LESS Vram than I have now.
And like others have said, this whole shady pre-order situation leaves a v sour taste in my mouth.

I was thinking I'd jump in and order on day one (never done this before) as the recent pattern has been for prices to actually creep up above the launch day price. However, and this is a biggie, this is when AMD had nothing in the game to match Nvidia (2080Ti primarily).
IF the AMD big navi cards can go toe to toe with the Nvidia equivalents this time round, then we should hopefully see a much more level playing field and no price creep from Nvidia. Hopefully.

Last edited:
Soldato
Given the rumours of cards with better coolers coming, I have decided to just wait, I would have been prepared to pre order if they were at MSRP pricing though.

Soldato

My 1080ti utilises 2-3gig just with my web browser open, and the game's I play use anything from about a gig (old games) to about 8 gig on top of that. I will be ok with a 10 gig card, but I am not going to consider anything with less then that. Also as times move forward, more and more things get offloaded to the GPU, and when they do they shift from using DRAM to VRAM, RTX IO for instance will likely use VRAM for buffering and maybe even caching.

Soldato
The absolutely least used spec point on my Titan Xp is the 12Gb of RAM.. I’ve compared it to a friends 2070S 8Gb and at 4K ultra on MS flight sim it looks identical to mine, and despite a lower FPS, it’s as consistent, no glitching, no stutters etc and that’s on ‘just’ 8GB..

However, I’d love the Game engine devs to pipe up and let us stop any armchair analysis and let us know.. Personally would I pay £200 or so more for 20GB? Only if it had a >5% guaranteed performance boost..

Associate
Gonna just wait for 20gb models now. Think if you only keep the 3080 for 2 years it will be okay but there are some games on the borderline already. For VR and simming the 20gb will be more useful

Soldato
I still need the GPU upgrade, didnt expect i would be able to nab one on launch day so wasnt that bummed out. If anything it will maybe make me consider the 3070 when it comes out altho i expect the demand for any 3000 series is gonna outstrip the availability so who knows. I guess like many i was hoping to have a shiny new GPU in time for Cyberpunk

Back
Top Bottom