• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
+1, AMD do well with market share whenever they have decent products, fanboy loyalty starts to unravel when and if you have a significantly faster product at the same price or a similarly performant product significantly cheaper
so 20% faster or 20% cheaper.

Yep, it doesn’t help when AMD always seem to be half a generation behind Nvidia too. At that point most people looking to upgrade already have.

Let’s hope that’s something they’ve improved upon for their upcoming release and I’m talking about performance, not just price. Ultimately most GPU purchases are based on performance after all.

Soldato
AMD have tried many different approaches, and nothing helped them to pull the die-hard Nvidia users in increase their market share (not even when the 5850/5870 destroyed the GTX285 and the HD7970 destroyed the GTX580...so people that suggesting AMD just need to have the fastest card they got no clue, especially when that accounts for like less than 3% of the market).

What they need is for those die-hard users getting Nvidia cards first, then release new cards not much later that's faster by a reasonable margin and at the same or lower price to essentially give those Nvidia users just bought a new card a punch in the gut and cause an even higher level of buyer remorse than the 3080 to the 2080ti owners, then may be...just may be those die-hard Nvidia users would pay some attention to AMD.

Don't think AMD can manage it though, but they really need to that big of a smack on the head (or punch in the gut) in order to wrestle the Nvidia users over and begins to gain more marketshare.

Yeah they've tried it every which way it just doesn't work ATI's fastest cards still got hugely outsold by Nvidia and AMD's arguably better 390 got outsold by the 970 by 9 out of 10 according to Gibbo way back then I remember. The mindshare is just too strong. Whats the solution? I don't know, ATI didn't hence they saw the light and sold out to AMD who bought them for the gfx know-how that they implemented elsewhere. I'm not even sure they're even interested in going head to head with Nvidia in the dGPU market it seems the RDNA2 cards are flagships not for the desktop market where the nvidia mindshare will ensure people will be laughing into their sleeves but rather to Console owners who will see their console versions as cut down versions of these "big" cards and think "wish I had one of those!" hence AMD promoting them in Fortnite where the consoler's will see them, I don't think they're even looking to PC gamers at all. Its a lost cause there.

Soldato
Yep, it doesn’t help when AMD always seem to be half a generation behind Nvidia too. At that point most people looking to upgrade already have.

Let’s hope that’s something they’ve improved upon for their upcoming release and I’m talking about performance, not just price. Ultimately most GPU purchases are based on performance after all.
There's always people looking to buy at every performance level. Most people don't upgrade every generation and most don't have top end stuff either.

Permabanned
In both cases during which AMD had had the fastest or very competitive GPU lineup, it didn't last for too long or long enough, so that people get used to AMD market domination.

The key words are:

constancy
perseverance
persistence
consistency
stability
firmness
assiduity

Soldato
Last edited:
Caporegime
Judging by the Ampere thread, 3080 orders are so backed up that new orders aren't likely to be fulfilled until 2021.

AMD needs to nail this launch with plenty of stock, and they could clean up.

Soldato
Judging by the Ampere thread, 3080 orders are so backed up that new orders aren't likely to be fulfilled until 2021.

I’d definitely switch to AMD if the performance was good and I can actually get one before CP2077 arrives.

Soldato

I personally reckon stock will fulfil November the latest. After this launch....NVIDIA will be chucking all the support extra staff whatever is needed to get these chips made round the clock.

Soldato
yeah, thats pretty much what I expected. Although I thought the difference would be more like 20%. Maybe the clocks werent much higher on the 3090?

overclocked 3080 is looking like a better option now, imo.

Soldato
I just found out that a shunt mod to the 3080 yields very little results 1%-2% increase. Although this is the result of a higher ASIC gpus regardless of AIB. So, the rumor that Nvidia's oem had the top bin gpus isnt wholly true. Even though they are 2-3fps faster in benchmarks (from what I've seen). Whuch looks artificial to me.

I get the distinct impression that lower ASIC gpus are simple not possible for the 3080. Probably do to the power requirements at a guess. Hmmm, it's possible there might be a lot of higher cu 3070s in the wild do to harvesting (that aren't to far off the 3089 cu count). But I digress.

AMD is keeping very quiet right now. They have an entire pc solution set to pounce with Ryzen 5000. Which is rumored to finally beat Intel in single threaded performance. And Readon 6800 rumored to performed at 2080ti levels. I wonder what a motherboard, cpu, ram and gpu would cost if announced from AMD (without pc case)?

Things are heating up if true. My only wish is that AMD talks with someone to create water blocks for both cpu and gpu. They've been incredibly late to the party with amd in past releases
:D

Associate
not really clued up on graphics card tech these days but I know AMD have been behind nvidia for a while

what are chances that next AMD GPU's are better than the new nvidia ones?

Soldato
not really clued up on graphics card tech these days but I know AMD have been behind nvidia for a while

what are chances that next AMD GPU's are better than the new nvidia ones?

I give them 25% chance of beating the 3080 (105%+), 30% of matching (95-105% performance), 45% of being slower (<95% perf) ... But that's just me after reading all the potential leaks and nvidia's actions..

Caporegime
If I was a betting man (I'm not :p) I'd say there's an 80% chance AMD's best RDNA2 SKU is slower than a 3080.

It may have been possible to build a faster GPU, with some rumours AMD is holding back and simply wants something to rival the 3070.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom