• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ASUS TUF 3080 same as OC version?

Soldato
Does the non OC version have the same bios power limit of 370w?

trying to figure out if I should get the OC or non OC strix 3090 as I can swap it out

Yeah 340w.
There isn't a huge amount of OC headroom on this card out of the box.
That's why I went for the cheaper non-OC model.
I suspect it will manually OC to the same level making the percentage gain a bit better for the non-OC model.

But you never know, a VBIOS mod might come along in the future and open the power limit up a little more.
Or a hardware shunt mod.

Last edited:
techpowerup said:
Looking at actual performance gains, the ASUS RTX 3080 TUF Gaming is 3% faster than the Founders Edition at 4K resolution in all our games—not a whole lot. It seems the GeForce RTX 3080 is limited by how far board partners can increase the board power limit. In the case of the ASUS TUF, the power limit is set to 340 W (vs. 320 W on FE).

When running Furmark, we measured power draw that's a bit above the spec, with 405 W at an input spec of 375 W. Not a big deal, typical gaming power draw is well below that limit anyway. For the overclockers, ASUS has increased the manual adjustment power limit to 375 W, which is the highest value of all RTX 3080 cards we're testing today. The increase over the FE is just 5 W though, so not a huge difference.

Peak power draw may spike higher, but generally it's around 340w is what I think they mean.
If you watch Steve's OC session GPUZ is measuring around 340w.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP

They are recommending the non OC model also even in the MSI review

Tbh a cooler card is preferred, so looks like I made the right choice and dual bios etc looks like a decent bonus considering it cost no extra over the FE

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah 340w.
There isn't a huge amount of OC headroom on this card out of the box.
That's why I went for the cheaper non-OC model.
I suspect it will manually OC to the same level making the percentage gain a bit better for the non-OC model.

But you never know, a VBIOS mod might come along in the future and open the power limit up a little more.
Or a hardware shunt mod.

der8auer did a shunt mod on the TUF OC card and it only made a small difference of around 2-5% i think, not really worth it unless you're gonna ln2 or ice it for record breaking.

der8auer did a shunt mod on the TUF OC card and it only made a small difference of around 2-5% i think, not really worth it unless you're gonna ln2 or ice it for record breaking.

Yeah I agree, you really need a more expensive card if you are looking for larger OC gains.
I'm on a budget so the TUF and it's standard baseline of performance is fine for my gaming needs.

A fair bit faster than an 2080ti... so good enough or me. :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom