homeserver issue

Permabanned
I have checked over your settings @joelk2 and it's not your network config itself, that looks fine to me.

Something on the server. Is your firewall turned on by any chance? Can you turn off your firewall temp and try accessing the server by \\192.168.1.72 and I assume you have set up usernames and passwords on the shares right? or you just allowing everyone to access it by guest?

EDIT: Also can you check your windows 10 machine to see if the network type is public or private?
If it's in public can you change it to private and also try again.

https://www.opentechguides.com/how-to/article/windows-10/77/win10-change-network-type.html

Soldato
OP
I have checked over your settings @joelk2 and it's not your network config itself, that looks fine to me.

Something on the server. Is your firewall turned on by any chance? Can you turn off your firewall temp and try accessing the server by \\192.168.1.72 and I assume you have set up usernames and passwords on the shares right? or you just allowing everyone to access it by guest?

EDIT: Also can you check your windows 10 machine to see if the network type is public or private?
If it's in public can you change it to private and also try again.

https://www.opentechguides.com/how-to/article/windows-10/77/win10-change-network-type.html

Firewall is off on the server. (Even turned it off on the pc to see if that was the issue)

Folder shares are just set to everyone giving read and write access. Will add guest to the list aswell just incase.

Will check the private/public setting shortly and report back

It was odd as it was working one minute but not the next (while I was using it)

My Plex clients can also still see the Plex server and play the files

Last edited:
Permabanned
Could it be the IP range?
I recall previously BT using 192.168.0.X whereas my devices were static 192.168.1.X

DHCP is enabled so the IP settings on both devices are getting it from the DHCP server. As posted in post #14. OP you are doing \\192.168.1.72 ain't you? Try by hostname as well \\HOMESERVER

Servers normally have static IPs but in this case you have both set to DHCP. Putting in the BTHH6 would have changed the IP settings from the previous router.

Last edited:
Permabanned
joel any chance you can tell us a bit more about your network? maybe a diagram or in words what is connected to what ?

I remember something a while back about microsoft disabling smb shares version 1 due to security. Maybe, just maybe an update caused that and it's disabled that setting. I know enabling it again is a security risk and the nas or server has to support smb

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...leshoot/detect-enable-and-disable-smbv1-v2-v3

Soldato
OP
joel any chance you can tell us a bit more about your network? maybe a diagram or in words what is connected to what ?

I remember something a while back about microsoft disabling smb shares version 1 due to security. Maybe, just maybe an update caused that and it's disabled that setting. I know enabling it again is a security risk and the nas or server has to support smb

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...leshoot/detect-enable-and-disable-smbv1-v2-v3

so some more info which might be useful.

the homeserver last update was in 2013

the network hasnt changed since this date (house moves have happened but the setup has always been the same) - its a really simple setup

i have been sent a new plusnet router which i thought might help somewhat but there is no change, i believe the issue lies entirely with the server

ive actually now taken the server offline as whenever i connect it to the network now it causes the internet to drop out and puts my router in some kind of boot loop which is really weird.

lpRT5gh.jpg

i think the only solution now is to extract all of the files onto an external hdd and reinstall the OS and redo the server (maybe even switch to freenas)

Soldato
OP
Update to this thread. I ended up buying a big HDD. Transferring all my files off the server. Wiped it. Installed freenas and copied everything back.

Freenas seems good. Plex is running a lot better than it did on WHS11

Back
Top Bottom