• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Why don't you guys just....wait a bit?

Soldato
This is a really sad state of affairs, people are using Bounce Alerts to just flip all the stock at a profit. I understand this is how capitalism works but its really egregious, a group of flippers made 25k in one day! This type of stuff is illegal for ticket sales why not other products.

Soldato
This is a really sad state of affairs, people are using Bounce Alerts to just flip all the stock at a profit. I understand this is how capitalism works but its really egregious, a group of flippers made 25k in one day! This type of stuff is illegal for ticket sales why not other products.

No doubt legislation will come in over the next few years I reckon

Caporegime
Expecting people to wait for things in 2020

200.gif

Associate
I am not jumping in yet, been there got the tee shirt, titan, then wam titan X faster ram, and now possible more ram. NVidia do it all the time. plus i want a good quality water block for mine so i am happy to wait and see which way the wind blows this round.

Soldato
There should a checkout system where you enter your phone number and it texts you. Then you reply to the text confirming your order.

One number per order and you have like 30 seconds to respond.

I spose scalpers would have multiple phones or something but it at least requires a bit more human input.

Maybe im naive and that's easily circumnavigated.

Associate
I cant see these 3080 20gb cards being anounced till well into next year considering that there is such a backlog of orders for the 3080 and there will also be for the 3090. All that would do is annoy a lot of 3080 buyers. They will keep it on the back burner till atleast May i reckon.
Same, I can't see a card with double the memory chips being released and actually obtainable in the near future especially when the 10GB model is selling faster than they can make it. There's no incentive for Nvidia to do so unless they price it dangerously close to the 3090, which again, why would they.

Associate
There should a checkout system where you enter your phone number and it texts you. Then you reply to the text confirming your order.

One number per order and you have like 30 seconds to respond.

I spose scalpers would have multiple phones or something but it at least requires a bit more human input.

Maybe im naive and that's easily circumnavigated.
I mean, isn't that what captcha is for? Yeah it's annoying as heck but if it is effective I think it would greatly improve customer experience at times like this.

Soldato
I mean, isn't that what captcha is for? Yeah it's annoying as heck but if it is effective I think it would greatly improve customer experience at times like this.

I dunno bud, can you imagine the stress trying to bag a new hot GPU quickly and you get one of those "select all squares with a traffic light". "Select all squares with a bus" ones. They always slightly overlap into other squares and I never know whether to select or not. I think it would tip me over the edge....

Associate
I dunno bud, can you imagine the stress trying to bag a new hot GPU quickly and you get one of those "select all squares with a traffic light". "Select all squares with a bus" ones. They always slightly overlaps into other squares and I never know whether to select or not. I think it would tip me over the edge....
Haha that's true, or even worse those rotate the image till it's the right way up that lag like hell sometimes.

Associate
I dont do high refresh rate but in so many games I downscale from 4k, and also load custom texture packs when available.

FF15 absolutely chewed up memory as well.
Yeah I game on a 4k 60hz TV so the 3080 is perfect for my use case! I also edit drone footage a lot so the 3080 would help a lot with that.

Associate
Because I’m still running 780ti and slightly overdue an upgrade...

Hahaha I had 2 x 780ti in Sli until they both literally went pop within a week of each other last year, great cards lasted so well!!

Forced to get a RTX 2070 knowing this year would be the true upgrade and while its amazing as a card for the money, it just cant keep up with the Index... So Gigabyte Aorus GeForce RTX 3080 XTREME paid for... Might cancel though 3weeks away Big nav inc, Nvidia doing normal underhand stuff Ti or 20GB versions inc the day Navi2 announced?

Associate
Hahaha I had 2 x 780ti in Sli until they both literally went pop within a week of each other last year, great cards lasted so well!!

Forced to get a RTX 2070 knowing this year would be the true upgrade and while its amazing as a card for the money, it just cant keep up with the Index... So Gigabyte Aorus GeForce RTX 3080 XTREME paid for... Might cancel though 3weeks away Big nav inc, Nvidia doing normal underhand stuff Ti or 20GB versions inc the day Navi2 announced?
:D

It served me well to be fair. It was a great card at the time, but sadly doesn’t cut it in 2020.

If I thought I’d be waiting up to 6 months for a 3080, I probably would have bought a 2080 in June.

Ah well, I might try and get a 3090, and if that fails I’ll slog it out for another few months with the 780ti.

Soldato
Remember the 2080Ti launch? Anyone who preordered was branded an idiot. Since that day the retail price has been higher.

I imagine this is going to be the same...

Associate
people are indeed rushing to get what will soon become the worst performing 3080s which they will regret within a few months. just wait and see when the super or ti version is out

Associate
people are indeed rushing to get what will soon become the worst performing 3080s which they will regret within a few months. just wait and see when the super or ti version is out

But from the lack of ability to overclock it further we already know the GPU really can't be driven much faster, so all they can do is add memory bandwidth and memory, or a different GPU with more compute units etc. A version with more memory was extremely likely anyway, and in practical terms it mostly achieves buyer regret where people might spend more money to get rid of that feeling they won't have enough VRAM. But I think that 10GB VRAM is going to be enough (VRAM allocated is not the same thing as VRAM needed) for pretty much everyone who is getting a 3080 or similarly performing card.

So imo the "basic" 3080 is just fine, and for more performance you need a faster GPU, not just more memory.

Back
Top Bottom