• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Who's cancelling then, given the 20GB/16GB VRAM leaks and the pre-order debacle?

Associate
I’ll keep my pre order for now, I ordered very late so not expecting it any time soon. I’ll try for a fe in the mean time and also so what happens with the 20gb/super/ti version that’s rumoured. I expect there will be more info on this long before my pre order shows up.

Associate
All the people wishing for more RAM, might be looking through the wrong end of the telescope:

Thanks to Micron’s GDDR6X, the GeForce RTX 3080 delivers 760 GB/s of memory bandwidth, while the GeForce RTX 3090 delivers 936 GB/s. These are truly immense figures, to the point that memory bandwidth might no longer be a bottleneck in many games.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Poor-...ormance-to-the-GeForce-RTX-3090.493458.0.html

GDDR 6x memory isn't cheap and while there are certainly some gamers willing to pay close to £1000 for a card with more memory, I for one am not. On top of that there's the possibility that RTX 3090 card will have come down in price and the gap between the two cards will narrow making it a difficult choice to make.

Associate
Part of my use case is for 3d modelling and renders. I think the 10GB limit might be a factor for gamers in a few years, by which time there will likely be a new generation out or approaching release. If you upgrade once every 5 like I used to then yeah, maybe worth getting a 3070ti at 16GB or 3080ti at 20GB otherwise I wouldn't worry about it yet.

Anything I need to render that goes beyond 10GB I render using CPU and system ram anyway given that 32GB or 64GB of DDR4 is much more affordable.

Soldato
Where did you find that? Other reports - anecdotes from Techtubers - indicate it's 20% faster.

Same here as well. In fact one of the members on this site has one and has sent me benchies that show it is at least 15% faster in most cases and 20% in quite a few cases. This is of course on early drivers as well............................so make of that what you like.

Soldato
All the people wishing for more RAM, might be looking through the wrong end of the telescope:

Thanks to Micron’s GDDR6X, the GeForce RTX 3080 delivers 760 GB/s of memory bandwidth, while the GeForce RTX 3090 delivers 936 GB/s. These are truly immense figures, to the point that memory bandwidth might no longer be a bottleneck in many games.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Poor-...ormance-to-the-GeForce-RTX-3090.493458.0.html

GDDR 6x memory isn't cheap and while there are certainly some gamers willing to pay close to £1000 for a card with more memory, I for one am not. On top of that there's the possibility that RTX 3090 card will have come down in price and the gap between the two cards will narrow making it a difficult choice to make.
Memory bandwidth only affects how fast you feed the GPU cores. PCIE speeds affects how quickly you can swap data out of VRAM when you have run out.

Associate
Memory bandwidth only affects how fast you feed the GPU cores. PCIE speeds affects how quickly you can swap data out of VRAM when you have run out.

But the whole point of the 10GB isn't enough thinking is about future games, and RTX3080 is PCIE 4 compatible so even though the PCIE 3 is unlikely to slow the card, PCIE 4 most certainly won't.

Soldato
I honestly think it's madness to order now if you are concerned about getting value for money. Amazing how overnight so many people's PCs have become unplayable ;)

Sensible to wait until Big Navi at the very least.

Associate
You're right the gimped VRAM 3080 makes no sense coming from a 1080ti. Who buys a GPU with less VRAM than they had before?

The best plan for most was to wait it out, have a look at all the cards, all the variants from both camps then make an informed choice, instead we got a mad rush for cards that didn't exist, when those cards will be superceded within months anyway.

Yes, the VRAM of the 1080ti and 3080 are entirely comparable and not different at all....

Associate
If the rest of the card and performance performance is the same. I think I'd stick with 10gb. Can always upgrade if 10Gb becomes an issue. Never saturated the 2080Ti to my knowledge.

Associate
It's really quite funny to see people attempting to future proof at this stage with a graphics card of all things! Notoriously one of the shortest viable component in a system!

Oh in two years I might be running out of GRam! Well you might also find the CPU DDR memory and motherboard are all crying out for updating by then too! We have PCIE4 DDR5, Rocket Lake (and others) all on the horizon in that time frame, and there are probably more things in Heaven and Earth undreamt of in thy philosphy going to come as well.

Graphics cards albeit expensive are still a short term poor investment running on a two year cycle. The RTX2080 TI with all its RAM wasn't saved from the cycle, losing 75% of its original price in just two years and just because you buy more GRam won't save you, better pay £650 now and upgrade again than pay £1000 and wish you hadn't !

Associate
Where did you find that? Other reports - anecdotes from Techtubers - indicate it's 20% faster.

Question is does it matter? 10 or 20%? The 3080Ti will be out 2021 'early' when AMD drop Navi 2 as usual Team Green playing the tit for tat game with the upper hand.

3090 IMO is a terrible choice right now and I have a Gigabyte Aorus GeForce RTX 3080 XTREME @£900 paid for and really starting to question canceling it, if only for Overclockers pathetic customer service so far and add on the 3080 is going to get a larger Vram or Ti version soon because which ever way you slice it Nvidia are scared this time around the evidence is there.

My cards at least 3 weeks away might, AMD leeks will be abundant just before delivery time and I will go for what ever is the best option, and that's the thing we are going to have options this generation AMD or Nvidia 'fanboi' (hate the term) but we are going to have options, people should be really happy not arguing!

Soldato
Yes, the VRAM of the 1080ti and 3080 are entirely comparable and not different at all....

Makes no difference, 10GB is 10GB and seriously gimped for a brand new high end card. The fact 20GB cards are round the corner says it all, and even the lower tier 3070 is going to get 16GB when the ti versions are released.

Soldato
But the whole point of the 10GB isn't enough thinking is about future games, and RTX3080 is PCIE 4 compatible so even though the PCIE 3 is unlikely to slow the card, PCIE 4 most certainly won't.
The bandwidth of PCIE is not even close to the bandwidth of the VRAM to the GPU core. PCIE 4.0 x16 is 32GB/s. For reference the RTX 2060 has a bandwidth of 336 GB/s.

Soldato
Situation of no stock has played into AMD hands. However I doubt they can supply the amount that will be requested when if its released and if it competes with the 3080 and give people the extra ram they crave for. I for one will sit and wait and see how this plays out. I dont "need" a new gpu and this debacle has proved to probably many there is no rush and this delay may save us some money. Time will tell.

Soldato
having 10gb of ram is fine...if you look up how gpus work youll see there is no issue here
But more is better.
From my understanding, the increase in bandwidth and that stuff that lets the GPU directly access your speedy m.2 drives makes up the difference.

Associate
But more is better.
From my understanding, the increase in bandwidth and that stuff that lets the GPU directly access your speedy m.2 drives makes up the difference.

Agree allot of ill informed people crying about Vram who clearly haven't got a clue what they are talking about but internet Karen is in full force and adamant about the opinion and spreading the rumor...

Back
Top Bottom