What would you do? Rift CV1

Soldato
RIFT CV1 - Ribbon cable damaged so the left earphone does not work. It's a really old headset but oculus have offered me a replacement for £249.99 of a new headset, face kit, cable and a 6 month warranty.

Would you buy it and sell it? Was thinking could probably get the same amount or more for it on ebay. The broken headset still works for everything but audio so probably get about 60 to 90 for it and then sell the 2 sensors and cables for around the same and then the controllers. So sell everything and make enough for a rift s or towards index.

What would you suggest?

Soldato
Are they asking for the old one back? You could fund the replacement with selling off your old for spares.

Is the cable ok in your Rift? You can probably sell that for £150 on its own, and selling the rest of your rift for spares might be profitable. The earphbones are sought after as you can mod them for use on the Rift S and Quest, and the controllers are difficult to get hold of now so probably can sell for over £60 each.

Of course the CV1's resolution leaves a lot to be desired these days - even the Quest looks sharper using the link cable.

Soldato
OP
Yeh they dont want the old one back and the headset and so on works fine and dont see any cuts in the cable so works fine. Think selling all the parts deffo works out better for the most funds. 60 each a controller and the cable alone for £150 seems like a no brainer :D

Soldato
Another vote for selling parts.
As for index vs rift S. I made the move from cv1 to rift s (sick of the sensors). The difference in clarity is a lot better then you'd think compared with the cv1. It's waaay sharper. In my opinion probably not worth gassing almost a grand for the index when better headsets will come along for less money.

Soldato
OP
Thanks so far i have them all listed and managed to sell both sensors for a good amount with lots of watchers on the rest. I dont want to do sensors again so thinking about a rift S as well.

wnb

wnb

Soldato
How did you manage to get Oculus to replace for £250? One of the ear peaces has broken off mine and the left controller trigger is also broke.

Associate
The sensors were what made using the CV1 a pain for me. My office isn't big enough to leave it set up all the time. I sold my CV1 in very good nic for £260 recently. When I did have it running it was very fun albeit I accepted it's flaws around screen resolution. How much of an improvement is the Rift S?

Soldato
How much of an improvement is the Rift S?

Rift S is sort of a two-steps-forward-one-step-back sort of deal.

It's sharper, has better lenses, halo strap (which some people find more comfortable) has no external sensors (the inside out tracking is very impressive), and so is easier to setup.

But it's only 80hz, has poor audio compared to the CV1, and no IPD adjust. The controllers are also not as comfortable or robust as the CV1 touch controllers which for me are the gold standard of VR controllers (I prefer them to Index controllers actually). It's also received very little in the way of updates and attention from Oculus since the huge success of the Quest.

In fact it's possible that the Quest 2 may well be a better PC device than the Rift S, as rumours are it will have IPD adjust, and up to 120hz refresh. The USB socket for the PC link cable has been rotated, so it looks like it's designed for better use as a PC device.

Another disadvantage with the Rift S and the Quest is that you will need a Facebook account to use them. That may be an issue for some people.

Soldato
^^ Audio isn't as good as the cv1 no but there is an audio jack to plug in some headphones that works well. The shape of the headset for me allows proper headphones to go over it quite snugly. Didn't notice the difference between 80hz and 90hz.

Soldato
Going forward, I can't see a future for the Rift S. The Quest 2 looks to be a hugely better device, cheaper and can link to a PC. It's possible Oculus could drop dedicated PC VR entirely, and just go hybrid from now.

Soldato
Agreed. I'm just saying what my experience has been like with the Rift S. It's a good headset but will become redundant soon. Hopefully the quest 2 can be linked via hdmi or dp or something. Iv heard bad things about latency using the USB connection.

Soldato
Agreed. I'm just saying what my experience has been like with the Rift S. It's a good headset but will become redundant soon. Hopefully the quest 2 can be linked via hdmi or dp or something. Iv heard bad things about latency using the USB connection.

I've used my Quest via the official Oculus link cable, and I didn't notice any latency, but of course there must be some. Hopefully the Quest 2 will have better PC VR support.

Soldato
RIFT CV1 - Ribbon cable damaged so the left earphone does not work. It's a really old headset but oculus have offered me a replacement for £249.99 of a new headset, face kit, cable and a 6 month warranty.

Would you buy it and sell it? Was thinking could probably get the same amount or more for it on ebay. The broken headset still works for everything but audio so probably get about 60 to 90 for it and then sell the 2 sensors and cables for around the same and then the controllers. So sell everything and make enough for a rift s or towards index.

What would you suggest?

I got my headset replaced for this exact same reason for free under UK consumer laws (6 years in England) even after a "sorry, your headset is not under warranty" response.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citize...uarantees-returns/united-kingdom/index_en.htm

Burden of proof is on the buyer after the original warranty is up - so I linked them to forums threads pointing out that it's a defect that was raised soon after release.

Good luck!

Soldato
I'm keeping hold of my CV1, as I only got it for a visual test preview of a not-even-alpha sim, and there doesn't appear to be an update to it any time soon.

wnb

wnb

Soldato
Dissapointed with customer support, they offer no avenue for repair or replacemnt of the touch controller or ear piece, I've had to go to the bay for parts.

Soldato
I got my headset replaced for this exact same reason for free under UK consumer laws (6 years in England) even after a "sorry, your headset is not under warranty" response.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citize...uarantees-returns/united-kingdom/index_en.htm

Burden of proof is on the buyer after the original warranty is up - so I linked them to forums threads pointing out that it's a defect that was raised soon after release.

Good luck!

Did you go direct through Oculus for that or the retailer if it was somebody else?

Back
Top Bottom