• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (5000 Series), rumored 17% IPC gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
He said to not expect IPC improvements of 30%.
If Intel doesn't deliver IPC improvements of those extents, how would Intel justify the lowered core count which should be offset by a relatively large IPC improvement.

Imagine 10-core 10th series i9 and 8-core 11th i9 series. Which will be better and why?
I must have missed part of the conversation.. why would they reduce core counts for Rocket Lake?

Soldato
I must have missed part of the conversation.. why would they reduce core counts for Rocket Lake?
Power issues, apparently. There's talk that in backporting the design to 14nm has cause even bigger power delivery issues than Comet Lake to such an extent that it's not realistically possible to go past 8 cores on the LGA 1700 package. Rumours as always, so we'll see what happens.

Edit: there's even a suggested clock regression too. Intel's 5GHz "domination" may be over.

Last edited:
Soldato
as it should be around 30% more IPC over Cometlake (which is Skylake)
Oh, so Rocket Lake should draw IPC parity with Zen 3 then, given Zen 2 is around 15% higher IPC than Skylake and Zen 3 is pitched at 15-20% higher IPC than Zen 2.
exciting times ahead!
If you think inferior core counts, larger power draw, higher operating temps and a rumoured clock speed regression to be "exciting times" then I'll happily shout you a couple of quid for some new pants, because you're going to wet yourself!

Permabanned
Soldato
What I don't get, is if Intel are such great gaming CPUs (as they seem outclassed in productivity areas) why are the new PlayStation and XBox based on AMD hardware? That's where the big gaming market for silicon lies.

Permabanned
What I don't get, is if Intel are such great gaming CPUs (as they seem outclassed in productivity areas) why are the new PlayStation and XBox based on AMD hardware? That's where the big gaming market for silicon lies.

Economy, politics and graphics IP. Radeon is much better.

Associate
Rocket Lake CPU's are going to slaughter AMD in games, unless Zen3 is an absolute beast!
Jesus, I didn't realize the 3080 had exacerbated the performance delta that much. Imagine what the 3090 tests will show!

It's going to be hard to resist upgrading to a Rocket lake CPU when they release, as it should be around 30% more IPC over Cometlake (which is Skylake), exciting times ahead!

"As an engineer, genuine clock-for-clock performance gains get me excited. Unfortunately Tiger Lake doesn't deliver much on this front, and in some cases, we see regressions due to the rearranged cache depending on the workload used. This metric ignores power - but power is the metric on which Tiger Lake wins.
Intel hasn't really been wanting to talk about the raw clock-for-clock performance, and perhaps understandably so (from a pure end-user product point of view at any rate)."

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16084/intel-tiger-lake-review-deep-dive-core-11th-gen/19

Soldato
Lol these trolls would have you believe you can’t game on a Ryzen system only 200fps compared to 230 at 1080p(lol)on a 3080 might as well chuck it in the bin.

In a blind test no way could they tell.

Only argument for Intel right now is if you enjoy overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom