Quest 2 Facebook leak - XR2 chipset, 6gb RAM, "almost 4k display"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
No been able to find this, but will the quest 2 also be virtual desktop compatible for wireless pcvr, or could they have disabled this?

Soldato
Thanks. I will check that out. Are you getting the 64 or 256?

I mulled over it a bit as 256Gb for an extra £100 doesn't sound like too bad a deal but I honestly don't think I'll need anymore than 64Gb unless the size of Quest 2 titles jumps dramatically. Most games on Quest are 1-2Gb so given that you can easily fit around 25 game on the 64Gb version. Movies can always be streamed from a laptop/etc so no need to store them on the device. Plus as others have said many will use it connected to a PC so the local storage capacity is largely irrelevant for them.

Looking online at CEX just now for example the 128Gb is only worth around £20 more than the 128Gb version trade in so it's not like you'll see much of that £100 back when you sell it either.

Soldato
OP
I don't use Facebook just doesn't intrest me, can a rift s be used on steam vr without oculus software

No, you have to use the Oculus client software. But if you register an Oculus account before October then you won't have to use a Facebook account to use it. After October a Facebook account is required for all new Oculus users.

Soldato
No, you have to use the Oculus client software. But if you register an Oculus account before October then you won't have to use a Facebook account to use it. After October a Facebook account is required for all new Oculus users.

For now, I think they said in 2022 or possibly 23 a facebook account will be required for all.

Soldato
OP
For now, I think they said in 2022 or possibly 23 a facebook account will be required for all.

Jan 2023 will be the cut-off date, but Facebook said they will (somehow) make it possible to use your purchased content past that date if you don't merge your Oculus account into a Facebook one. So I imagine you should still be able to use Steam VR as you'll have to have access to the Oculus client to play your existing content. However some Oculus apps won't work as they'll be too heavily tied into Facebook (I'm betting there'll be a lot that don't work by then.)

Soldato
Not buying any accessories right now. I'll see what I want/need, and then wait on likely cheaper 3rd party accessories.

I didn't intend to without trying it first but I've used the soft strap on the Oculus Go before. That was honestly so uncomfortable that I've pre-ordered an elite strap to go with my Quest 2! A soft strap just can't support the weight of a VR headset adequately IMO.

The elite strap looks decent and like it will be pretty comfortable for longer play sessions. I like the ratchet adjustability as well. Seems like it's definitely an improvement in the default headset with the originally Quest.

The battery case looks even better as it will also provide counterweight to the headset. However at £120 with a case that I don't really need it's hard to justify spending the extra.

Soldato
Please guys if you can help it, don't buy into the accessorising your quest and modding it. It turns a very good for value money product into an overpriced piece of trash in relative terms compared to what else you could get for your money (a G2).

The smart man gets:
Quest 2 64GB for £299
Amazon USB C cable for £10
Tries to see if the normal strap is comfortable enough, if not gets the £50 premium strap.
Right angled Short 3.5mm headphone connector £2

Price: £311-£361

The guy who is a bit too enthusiastic (and ends up spending the same as a G2 and not too far off an Index with B1.0s) gets:
Quest 256GB £399
Oculus Link cable £79
Oculus Case £50
AMVR controller trips £30
Oculus Link Battery premium strap £149
Battery pack for his Quest £50
Custom Oculus Quest audio solution £30-100

Price: £787-£850

And fast forward another 18 months and Oculus will release the Quest 3 and whichever setup you have built becomes redundant. Oculus have set a trend with their headsets. They are disposable. So I think its safe to say investing in modding the headset is not a smart move.

CV1 + Constellation trackers = Abandoned
Rift S = Abandoned
Oculus Go = Abandoned
Quest 1 = Will be Abandoned in 18 months and most new software won't run very well on it

Last edited:
Soldato
The idea behind the frankenquest was literally cheap DIY (basically) mods, that improve comfort etc. Using a normal power bank, rather than the special oculus one etc. Using some sticky velcro to attach it to the back to not only help power, but also be a counterweight etc.

Soldato
Jan 2023 will be the cut-off date, but Facebook said they will (somehow) make it possible to use your purchased content past that date if you don't merge your Oculus account into a Facebook one. So I imagine you should still be able to use Steam VR as you'll have to have access to the Oculus client to play your existing content. However some Oculus apps won't work as they'll be too heavily tied into Facebook (I'm betting there'll be a lot that don't work by then.)

I hadn't seen the update to that, thanks for the info :)

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Please guys if you can help it, don't buy into the accessorising your quest and modding it. It turns a very good for value money product into an overpriced piece of trash in relative terms compared to what else you could get for your money (a G2).

The smart man gets:
Quest 2 64GB for £299
Amazon USB C cable for £10
Tries to see if the normal strap is comfortable enough, if not gets the £50 premium strap.
Right angled Short 3.5mm headphone connector £2

Price: £311-£361

The guy who is a bit too enthusiastic (and ends up spending the same as a G2 and not too far off an Index with B1.0s) gets:
Quest 256GB £399
Oculus Link cable £79
Oculus Case £50
AMVR controller trips £30
Oculus Link Battery premium strap £149
Battery pack for his Quest £50
Custom Oculus Quest audio solution £30-100

Price: £787-£850

Your prices are a bit off. The pro battery strap comes with a case for 119, so that's already 130 less than you have said (you've listed the case and battery as seperate purchases).

Can a g2 run software untethered?

Soldato
Your prices are a bit off. The pro battery strap comes with a case for 119, so that's already 130 less than you have said (you've listed the case and battery as seperate purchases).

Can a g2 run software untethered?

Ah cool, didn't realise it came with a case. The pricing was all approximate just to illustrate how quickly things can escalate. I say this because I did it with the Quest 1 and it was a big regret of mine. I think the point I'm trying to make still stands.

And of course the G2 can't.

If you need or want a portable VR headset, the Q2 is the best-in-class.
However if you want a PCVR headset, in regards to audio fidelity, visual fidelity, latency, comfort, compression artefacts, it is one of the worst hence the advice to try and limit investment IMO.

Soldato
The idea behind the frankenquest was literally cheap DIY (basically) mods, that improve comfort etc. Using a normal power bank, rather than the special oculus one etc. Using some sticky velcro to attach it to the back to not only help power, but also be a counterweight etc.

yes. Sadly I saw some very expensive 'frankenquests' including extremely expensive DAS straps and I remember seeing some Sennheiser headphone mod (aka taking a £150 pair of headphones and modding them so you can only use them on the quest) :D

Soldato
Please guys if you can help it, don't buy into the accessorising your quest and modding it.

And fast forward another 18 months and Oculus will release the Quest 3 and whichever setup you have built becomes redundant. Oculus have set a trend with their headsets. They are disposable. So I think its safe to say investing in modding the headset is not a smart move.

Absolutely, there's very little need to spend more than £300 for a Quest 2. I'm only pre-ordering the elite strap on the basis that I've tried a soft strap with the Oculus Go and found it awful. Likewise I never felt that the strap which came with the Oculus Quest 1 was particularly comfortable so I'm happy to spend £50 on a better strap which looks like it will hugely improve the comfort of the device.

I agree with your points 100% though. At the end of the day these are basically disposable electronic devices (simialr to smartphones) with broadly a 3-4 year lifespan so you should bear that in mind when buying upgrades/mods/256Gb variants/acessories/etc!

Soldato
Absolutely, there's very little need to spend more than £300 for a Quest 2. I'm only pre-ordering the elite strap on the basis that I've tried a soft strap with the Oculus Go and found it awful. Likewise I never felt that the strap which came with the Oculus Quest 1 was particularly comfortable so I'm happy to spend £50 on a better strap which looks like it will hugely improve the comfort of the device.

I agree with your points 100% though. At the end of the day these are basically disposable electronic devices (simialr to smartphones) with broadly a 3-4 year lifespan so you should bear that in mind when buying upgrades/mods/256Gb variants/acessories/etc!

Yup. And in the Quest's case, I'd say the lifespan is closer to 12-18 months given hopefully how fast portable VR tech will develop! :)

Next upgrade will hopefully be to FOV which will likely see an entire lens upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom