Changing engine oil - pump it out, or let it drain?

Associate
well it arrived this morning and for 9.32 it is exactly the same in the same packaging hmm will try it this weekend :)

Associate
Do you work for the company who makes those crap ramps or something? Jeez. Give it a rest! :p

I'm sure they are strong enough to be safe and pass certification, but they are still poorly made and designed with what appears to be very little understanding of how to make something inherently strong.

I doubt that bit of 2x4 would have cracked like that just from a vehicle sitting stationary atop it, it probably happened as you drove onto or off of it, or perhaps you tried to use it as a ramp?

Downward force (the mass of a car affected by gravity ;)) on a solid block of wood is not going to crush it.

I dont work for them, but i will let you and that nasser school kid use some wood working on cars. :rolleyes: and that 'bit' of solid wood was about 5 foot long and 3 inches thick

And I am sure the Director of Canbolat would love to see the nasser school boy in Würzburg court over the fake BS EN 1494 and EN12100 certificates.

Last edited:
Associate
Lidl are going to be selling an oil pump for a tenner with a 3 year warranty. If you do your own car maintenance and have an easily accessible oil filter, it makes oil changing a breeze

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/p/car-essentials/ultimate-speed-oil-pump/p35314
well used mine 3 times already and it does pull out the oil all be it with a bit of moving the pipe around towards the end like hoovering. even dropped the sump plug after and the only seemed to get a few drips out extra so seems to do what it says on the box lol

Caporegime
well used mine 3 times already and it does pull out the oil all be it with a bit of moving the pipe around towards the end like hoovering. even dropped the sump plug after and the only seemed to get a few drips out extra so seems to do what it says on the box lol

Its effectiveness will depend on the car. The sump design, whether there are any windage trays of baffles in it etc.

Associate
I suck 300-500ml out of the filter housing on the Passat which you wouldn't get out if just removing the sump plug.

Soldato
As long as the engine is at the same end of the car to the battery :/

I bought a hand pumped one but could not get the pipe down the dipstick hole on my Toyota, I tried an even smaller plastic pipe but could not get it down the tube so I'm thinking this would be no better for me either.

Associate
Lidl are going to be selling an oil pump for a tenner with a 3 year warranty. If you do your own car maintenance and have an easily accessible oil filter, it makes oil changing a breeze

not really, i have something similar - Most cars have far too much oil and it would take forever and get very messy and you still need to remove the oil filter so as per my previous statement do it right and drain oil from the sump plug and remove the oil filter.

This electric pump has its uses for draining some oil or steering fluid, brake fluid etc as well as gear oil - which is tricky as its so thick but still doable.

Soldato
not really, i have something similar - Most cars have far too much oil and it would take forever and get very messy and you still need to remove the oil filter so as per my previous statement do it right and drain oil from the sump plug and remove the oil filter.

This electric pump has its uses for draining some oil or steering fluid, brake fluid etc as well as gear oil - which is tricky as its so thick but still doable.

Well each to their own, but implying that it is somehow wrong to drain the sump via a pump, if the oil filter is readily accessible, is just being a bit unwilling to do things differently IMO.

Associate

I don't usually shop a lidl, would these be in the stores now or is this an announcement for the following weeks special buys or something?

Its a shame the batter is in the rear of one of the cars, but i'm sure i can make it work.

Associate
I suck 300-500ml out of the filter housing on the Passat which you wouldn't get out if just removing the sump plug.
yeah sorry not being clear used on mondeo 2009 tdci, honda fr-v 2007, honda accord 2005 all diesels and yes i used the hoover method in the sump and in the filter housing chambers. as filter housings all face upwards. if i have to go under car to remove filter then i may as well drop the sump plug. as far as baffles are concerned it shouldnt make a difference as if the baffles contained the oil seperately then without removing the sump how would you drain it?. as said each to there own after years in the vehicle trade im a new convert , maybe not everyones cup of tea but saved me time .

hmm might have read the quote wrong assumed you were saying that because the oil was in the housing you did not rate it my apologies:)

Back
Top Bottom