ocuk binned/delidded i9-7900x, hitting 100C, thermal paste?

Associate
I have a 4.8ghz binned (apparently delidded by ocuk) i9-7900x running at 1.25v in an Asus rampage vi extreme with the ek monoblock which spikes rapidly in temps, it hits over 100C when I run Cinebench. I've dropped the avx instructions multiplier down to 4.5ghz for both avx instructions. Also there can be a 10-12 degree difference between the hottest and coolest cores, is that normal with a delidded cpu?

I've got thermal grizzly kryonaut on the cpu and when I bought the cpu a few years ago it was apparently pasted with kryonaut when delidded. I've heard kryonaut degrades over time so needs to be repasted otherwise it breaks down over time, is this true? What's a good alternative, I used to use MX-4 with great results.

EDIT: In case of confusion I've only run the paste for a few months, not for a few years lol.

Last edited:
Associate
That does sound like the delidding has failed to me.

Im kinda late but I totally agree. I've delidded a 10700k before and replaced the soldered TIM with Kryonaut, and the temps would reach 102c. According to der8aur (I think), he stated that thermal paste will actually increase temps in some cases.
I would use liquid metal as TIM (Conductonaut is great), and OP also needs to make sure that the IHS is making enough contact.

Back
Top Bottom