• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Who's cancelling then, given the 20GB/16GB VRAM leaks and the pre-order debacle?

Associate
FWIW.....anyone who has a 3080 "launch window" preorder at a an inflated price and being put on the wait list for an indefinite period would be better off cancelling and holding off for the increased memory variants. Could be a wait for them, but at this point, waiting a few months might be better off in the longterm IMO. At 4K, I honestly thing that hard limit will be hit a lot earlier than people think.
Sub 4K....work away, but those console-led devs are probably gonna hit hard in a year or two.

Associate
I'll only cancel if, while I'm on this queue, the reported price and release date will delay me a maximum of 3 weeks as compared to when I'd expect to receive my 3080. Higher VRAM isn't exactly a necessity for me. I'm not one of those "I want the bestest most shiniest thing out there so far for the bestest price" consumers and I understand my needs very well.

Nonetheless, I do value my time and my secondly my money.

Associate
The problem with the 10GB version is that regardless of you using the VRAM or not it will be the "inferior card" in the future. I know for 90% of users it might not even matter but thinking of resale value I know even for second hand cards people are willing to pay a premium for the better model even if it's a old generation card. With the current lack of 3080 stock, Big Navi around the corner and a trend of Nvidia quickly releasing better cards at lower cost points ( 2080Ti < 3080 ) I decided to be patient and stick with my 1080Ti for now.

Permabanned
The problem with the 10GB version is that regardless of you using the VRAM or not it will be the "inferior card" in the future. I know for 90% of users it might not even matter but thinking of resale value I know even for second hand cards people are willing to pay a premium for the better model even if it's a old generation card. With the current lack of 3080 stock, Big Navi around the corner and a trend of Nvidia quickly releasing better cards at lower cost points ( 2080Ti < 3080 ) I decided to be patient and stick with my 1080Ti for now.

I don't think you should be buying these highter tier cards if resale is important.

Associate
All the people wishing for more RAM, might be looking through the wrong end of the telescope:

Thanks to Micron’s GDDR6X, the GeForce RTX 3080 delivers 760 GB/s of memory bandwidth, while the GeForce RTX 3090 delivers 936 GB/s. These are truly immense figures, to the point that memory bandwidth might no longer be a bottleneck in many games.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Poor-...ormance-to-the-GeForce-RTX-3090.493458.0.html

GDDR 6x memory isn't cheap and while there are certainly some gamers willing to pay close to £1000 for a card with more memory, I for one am not. On top of that there's the possibility that RTX 3090 card will have come down in price and the gap between the two cards will narrow making it a difficult choice to make.

People said that about the 4gb AMD Fury with it's large memory bandwidth. It's proven not to be the case. When you run out of VRAM the card has massive frame drops

Soldato
10GB ain't ideal but better than 8GB 3070 i suppose. Blimey, I had an 8GB R9 390 ages ago, what's going on? Flight Sim 2020 is big worry as I have seen 8.1GB used on MEDIUM/4K. Given its newness I would assume secondhand RTX 3080 10GB prices would be good for a while, particularly if MSRP's are 10-15% lower than what punters are actually handing over.

Associate
Why does it matter now? The RTX 3080 will not hold up against console releases once they start optimising well in a few years time. By that point, a lot of people will probably upgrade again. This is just how it's been for PC gaming. Upgrading before the next gen release will always be pricey. I bought a GTX 680 4GB end of 2012, and that didn't hold up well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKmo6937rfY

Look at Warzone running horribly at 1080p on a GTX 680 4gb (£400 in 2012). Worse than a Xbox One S.

Last edited:
Associate
None of the Kepler cards aged well :D
A 7970/7950 will still outperform the base ps4 today.
Haha I remember deciding between AMD and NVIDIA. I do regret my choice. But this is my point, I upgraded in a few years. No one should expect these GPUs to hold up well. Mid generation is always best value for money.

Associate
I naively saw => stock ETA 18-09-2020, on the MSI trio listing on here the night of the launch, yeah I know.....

I believe that this Stock ETA notice being up all evening on the 17th was the main factor in why the numbers were so crazy for this particular card on here.

I checked on the queue calculator, and I was around 1570's :/ after I had canceled, so I've decided to wait til after Xmas and get a 3080 Founders Edition.

Permabanned
I suspect i will stay on the tock instead of the tick. This is crazy Nvidia love this that is why my wise old head has decided to wait until the refresh next year. Not only will the prices be stable, The process will be matured with more vram and the prices might not suffer from the pound doing a wibbly.

If it is so popular now, It means less people will be wanting the 3080ti and 3090ti. :)

Soldato
I am expecting the 20GB 3080 to be around £1k. I mean GDDR6X is expensive.
Yes i think a 20gb version would be very close to what 2080ti prices were around £900 to £1200 which would fill that large price hole between the 3080 & 3090

I think anyone that expects to get a 20GB version for around £750 would be dreaming

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom