• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

So, decided on a 3080? Which manufacturer and why?

Associate
I got the paper edition, was looking at the sold out everwhere or fish edition but paper was the standard.

The unplayable lie version and confirmed order versions looked sketchy.

Edit, the "please help me buy a 3080" version looks good, only a fiver.

Caporegime
Ill be getting the 2021 Edition from "Whoever has stock" here in Sweden....

I might pick one up in the UK next time i get over if there is a huge price difference..... Sweden has an extra electronic equipment tax..

I did want an Gigabyte Aorus Master one just to match my motherboard but at £$150+ just for that ..... we will see.. Its close to 10000Sek... 800 quid ... idiotic prices.

Soldato
So living in India most of the year getting new tech here can be an expensive pain in the *** at the best of times.

If OCUK delivered to India, 100% I would use them, but I have to use a US competitor that does deliver over here.

I have managed to order an MSI 3080 Gaming X Trio from a local Nvidia supplier in Chennai, and I am being told that delivery will be early to mid October (fingers crossed).

I did really want the FE but like the rest of the world the nvidia.in site did not have stock appear.....ever.....despite me mashinng the F5 button for close to 2 hours.

The price though? Rs.85k INR......so close to 900 quid.....ouch

This is pretty normal though unfortunately.....my oculus rift s cost me close to 600 quid.

Associate
Know if ultra is same PCB components with just a higher factory OC? That's why I went non ultra.

I'm hopeful to get one in October.
It's just slightly higher OC. Same card, not even binned (ultra). They said that they only check some of the cards (Ultra) for speed. There is no chip binning or 100% card testing.

However they said they will have more ultra versions in the initial batches.

Soldato
gah shoulda stumped £20 more and gone ultra, one on the bay is an ultra ordered from elsewhere, he's getting it on monday. Still it's a good card (that i've pre-ordered...!) that should hopefully do well under water and I can clock it past a stock ultra most likely unless I get a total lemon.

Caporegime
Would be nice if they even said if those of us who ordered within first 30min (cause I have no idea how people managed to get orders in within first 5) have even a chance of getting a card

gibbo said on,y those with orders done by 4 minutes will see their cards semtember. Those who got their orders in before 3pm should see their cards in October.

Caporegime
I just ended up ordering an EVGA FTW3 Ultra, had my 970 ftw+ for years and has been very faithful to me figured i would return the favour, other than the red mclaren thing, it doesn't look too bad either. I think they're even releasing something to fix that problem up as well, or so I've heard. anyways elses verdicton the FTW3?

great card and great quality and currently the fastest overclocked card in reviews as it can make use of 400w in its bios.

doenside is that it was only 2% faster than the ASU’s TUF non oc card so all that extra power and cooling and cost got you particularly nothing in performance.

my general issue though after owning loads of Evga cards is that nowadays they hardly take any notice of the UK and we are lost to get stock, last Nvidia launch people didn’t get their cards in the uk for three months as every card they made went to the US market to supply demand.

Soldato
I've cancelled my Zotac pre-order. I wanted to do some heavy OC on this generation and the Zotac cooling looked pretty good. I mistakenly assumed that the benchmark for all cards would be FE level and that PCB and cooling improvements would be on AIB cards. Obviously I wasn't able to check reviews and that before ordering.

Having seen the Zotac reviews and pcb teardown and also knowing that EVGA, Gigabyte and Asus are doing a 3x8 pin model, I've gone for the Asus Strix 3080, non OC variant. It's the cheapest card with 3 pins that is currently available for pre order. The EVGA FTW3 is £10 cheaper, but cannot be pre ordered. If I'm able to get an EVGA before hand, I'll cancel my Asus.

Associate
great card and great quality and currently the fastest overclocked card in reviews as it can make use of 400w in its bios.

doenside is that it was only 2% faster than the ASU’s TUF non oc card so all that extra power and cooling and cost got you particularly nothing in performance.

my general issue though after owning loads of Evga cards is that nowadays they hardly take any notice of the UK and we are lost to get stock, last Nvidia launch people didn’t get their cards in the uk for three months as every card they made went to the US market to supply demand.
Is there any other Evga ftw review? In GN OC video he only got +500 on Evga vs +900 on memory in comparison to cheapest Gigabyte I think. Did he show on this long live stream core OC benefits at the same mem speed? I only watched his short summary video.

Associate

christ didn't know this before i ordered mine, still got room to cancel if i want to though, kinda just sucks since it could be a long wait until i get it and was hoping for the update of GPU before CP2077 launches. will have to wait an see, card is gonna last me a lot of years but i might end up going to ASUS in the end anyways if stock is going to be that bad from EVGA, really taken a bad turn these last couple of years from what i've been reading now. hopefully due to the price the card won't sell as great as the ones closer to MSRP in the US and i'm able to get mine in october but will have to see i guess.

Associate
I placed a pre-order through OC for the Asus TUF Gaming (non OC) yesterday for £690. I'm wondering how long the wait will be. I've had to order a new case too as I'm upgrading from a EVGA 1080TI SC2 and there's not enough room for me to fit the 300mm long card.

Back
Top Bottom