• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
The non OC version?

From my research it seems all the cards whether factory overclocked or not all pretty much perform within a few percent of each other.

I should just go for the cheaper TUF myself but the irrational part of my brain keeps pulling me towards the OC version.
Yes, the OC version is a waste of money imo as I told you before.

Yeah you seemed confused with all the marketing :p

No...Just looked at the numbers in what you quoted :D
Yeah can be a bit confusing, but basically if you look back at my original post quoted for you below, that is my position on this. Won’t stop me getting the 3080, just expected better RT and Tensor core performance.

Just watched this and it is spot on:

I have to say, the RT and Tensor core improvements have been a very disappointing. I was predicting double the performance. My thoughts were as RT and Tensor cores took up such small space on the die that they would double those, plus we would get improvement in efficiency. Instead we only got the latter and it is lacklustre.

All that said I do think the gap will get bigger between the 20 and 30 series in regards to RT and DLSS as new games get the most out of the 30 series improvements. But will never reach the 2x difference I was expecting. If hopper really is an MCM design I can see a huge increase at that point, but that is now 18-24 months away.

Soldato
Yeah can be a bit confusing, but basically if you look back at my original post quoted for you below, that is my position on this. Won’t stop me getting the 3080, just expected better RT and Tensor core performance.
I just watched some that video and the new 3080 does look to be a hell lot faster then what the 2080 was

Notice he also said a lot of the RT increase is this because of the card being faster

Permabanned
The non OC version?

From my research it seems all the cards whether factory overclocked or not all pretty much perform within a few percent of each other.

I should just go for the cheaper TUF myself but the irrational part of my brain keeps pulling me towards the OC version.

I went for the OC as I felt not so many would, therefore I'd get it this year ;)

bJN

bJN

Soldato
You say it won't reach 2x RT performance, yet the data above shows that is already the case? 35 to 70 and 31 to 62 is literally 2x the performance...

It seems the general rasterization performance between generations isn't as big as we've seen the in the past, even with the cards wound up and chewing through electricity, but in the situations where it can make use of the technology it's supposed to be leveraging it absolutely wipes the floor with Turing. The tensor cores, whilst not that higher in number than Turing, perform much better to accelerate DLSS as that's really all they're getting used for in games. Should games start to use tensor computation to accelerate physics calculations further, then it will only stretch it's legs further and further.

Associate
Haha edited his post out now... Ya silly sod :p

It was a sore one. Not expecting to see a card for ages as I was late to finally get an order through and when I seen the dispatched email I was so excited. Only to later realise I’d also made another order for a separate item which was dispatched, not the 3080. :(

I’ll probably give it a few weeks by which point I may well cancel if the rumours of a refresh pick up or AMD surprises me with RDNA2.

Soldato
Soldato
What doesn't add up?

It's the Titan replacement. It's intended for compute-intensive workloads that need loads of memory and potentially multiple cards. It's not intended as a gaming card.

Will be interesting to see how this rumoured 20GB 3080 fits in whenever it arrives. If this leak is correct there’s not much point in a 3090 if you are only gaming. 3090 probably more of a content creator / 3D rendering card.

Caporegime
Doubt they will.

Nope, that's the 3080.

Jensen said it himself repeatedly. The 3080 is the "flagship" gaming card.

oh he can he say all he wants. Point it it’s looking more and more like the 3090 is really just a 3080ti by another name but if they had called it that and it offered 10% more gaming performance for double the money then he would have got roasted.

it does seem more and more like they set the 3080 price at an artificially low price and should have been £800 and because of the memory cost they had to put the 3080ti too high so they called it a 3090.

it doesn’t have enough cores unlocked to be a Titan,

Associate
oh he can he say all he wants. Point it it’s looking more and more like the 3090 is really just a 3080ti by another name but if they had called it that and it offered 10% more gaming performance for double the money then he would have got roasted.

it does seem more and more like they set the 3080 price at an artificially low price and should have been £800 and because of the memory cost they had to put the 3080ti too high so they called it a 3090.

it doesn’t have enough cores unlocked to be a Titan,

I tend to agree with you.

Soldato
What doesn't add up?

It's the Titan replacement. It's intended for compute-intensive workloads that need loads of memory and potentially multiple cards. It's not intended as a gaming card.
It’s not a Titan replacement, its marketed as a ‘BFGPU’ certainly not the professional market. More like a 3080 with more memory

Back
Top Bottom