New Dell IPS S2721DGF 165hz gaming monitor

Associate
hi all im thinking of putting on a back order for a rtx3080 are overclockers trustworthy

Are they trustworthy. Yes I'd say so, they've been around a very long time. As others have said though, they will take payment when you order and you'll join the queue for a card and OC don't know when they'll get stock or how much stock they'll get. So you could be waiting months for your order to be filled.

You can however cancel your pre-order at any time. I'd imagine the cancellation and refund probably takes about a week to process. So, as long as you can afford to have £700 in someone else's pocket until your card arrives go for it. I'd only be happy doing this so long as I knew I had another £700 lying around to place an order with another supplier should they suddenly have stock for immediate dispatch.

I'm very much in the same boat as you right now. I'm going to wait for this monitor to arrive this week and see how it performs with my 980. If performance is acceptable, I'll wait for the 3080 noise to settle and order when stock is a available for immediate dispatch. That way I also get to see what AMD's offering looks like and see if the 20GB 3080 rumours are true. If performance isn't acceptable on my 980, I'd be more inclined to get in the queue for a 3080 sooner rather than later.

That way I also get to see what AMD's offering looks like and see if the 20GB 3080 rumours are true. If performance isn't acceptable on my 980, I'd be more inclined to get in the queue for a 3080 sooner rather than later.
This may be the silver lining, we get to see a full picture, of reviews and competing cards. I've pretty much accepted I won't be getting a 3080 until December. Just one of those things...

Soldato
Yeah this forum has 148,267 members and I’m pretty sure most of those have placed orders with ocUK over the years. If you place a preorder not only do you have rights to cancel with ocUK but also support from your credit card and also PayPal should you order through them.

Believe me they know the consumer laws they’re not some one man band operating from their garden shed.

Yeah this forum has 148,267 members and I’m pretty sure most of those have placed orders with ocUK over the years. If you place a preorder not only do you have rights to cancel with ocUK but also support from your credit card and also PayPal should you order through them.

Believe me they know the consumer laws they’re not some one man band operating from their garden shed.
Of course, it's just they haven't handled this launch well at all.... Not exactly filled me with confidence.

Associate
Can we please avoid turning this thread into another boring 30 series thread? There's already about 10 of them. Let's keep this on topic!

How is everyone finding their monitor?

Soldato
I think it's great! Despite my PC not really being up to do it full justice, it was always going to be a good upgrade over the one it replaced, the build quality is good and the picture is great for gaming, browsing and watching films. No regrets about the purchase at all.
There is some IPS glow if you throw up a black screen, but that's only a slight niggle as I didn't buy it to look at a black screen, and it's not noticeable in normal usage.

That said, this is the most expensive monitor I've ever bought, so I'm glad I'm not disappointed.

Soldato
I tell you what does bug me though, from a cold power on it throws up a pretty cool splash screen, but on a soft boot it just puts up a little black box saying what input is detected. But that's hardly a complaint.

Associate
Loving mine so far. Haven't quite got the hardware to fully do it justice in games atm, but as I also WFH then the extra real estate over my previous 22 inch is a big plus.

Very happy with build quality, colour uniformity, lack of any dead/bright pixels and to my untrained eye I can't see any obvious bleed or other issues.

Only thing I would change is the stand. I wish it was flat at the base, but that's a small niggle

Soldato
Yeh i wasn't too sold on look of the stand at first, but after a bit of usage I don't mind, and it's really adjustable for height, tilt etc and feels really well made.

Associate
well when mine turns up on tuesday i will compare my current s2716dg and the new one . the only reason that the bought in 2016 the s2716dg was that the pg279q got loads of bad press . in my 4 years use after calibrating it .it has always performed ok . just the picture was noticably lighter in games. the q-sync has always worked great 144fps in most games .just hope the new ones freesync works ok wth g-sync. still we will see.

Soldato
well when mine turns up on tuesday i will compare my current s2716dg and the new one . the only reason that the bought in 2016 the s2716dg was that the pg279q got loads of bad press . in my 4 years use after calibrating it .it has always performed ok . just the picture was noticably lighter in games. the q-sync has always worked great 144fps in most games .just hope the new ones freesync works ok wth g-sync. still we will see.

I think you'll be OK, the picture is pretty punchy and vibrant out of the box, if anything you might want to tone it down.

That said I don't know why anyone outside professional photo and print services bothers to calibrate monitors... Just set it up to what looks best to your eyes, as that will give the best results to you.

Soldato
That said I don't know why anyone outside professional photo and print services bothers to calibrate monitors... Just set it up to what looks best to your eyes, as that will give the best results to you.

It's no trouble to set it up and run it for an hour. I usually set the calibration to a user profile and then amend slightly on another to gauge preference, but generally the calibrated profile is the one I go for.

Soldato
What will that achieve though? I don't need 100% accuracy as I'm not printing things for mass production and not publishing websites for mass consumption, so to me it does not matter if what I see on my screen looks different to someone else with a different screen, or if I print something it doesn't look exactly the same.

Soldato
What will that achieve though? I don't need 100% accuracy as I'm not printing things for mass production and not publishing websites for mass consumption, so to me it does not matter if what I see on my screen looks different to someone else with a different screen, or if I print something it doesn't look exactly the same.

It's just an option, not compulsory. I'm an enthusiast therefore I bought the calibration kit; as you rightly say, you could live without it no issues.

Associate
I just came across this monitor last night, I’ve been looking at the LG 27GN850-B and was very close to buying it but this monitor looks to be a good competitor and cheaper.

I currently own a Dell S2417DG which has horrible colour banding so I’m really keen to upgrade. Should I buy this monitor? There isn’t much reviews about it on YouTube so I’d love some opinions of people who own it, I’m so close to buying it. I’m in work and don’t have the time to scroll through nearly 40 pages of comments lol but from a quick glance everyone who owns it seems to be saying good things?

Last edited:
Associate
I just came across this monitor last night, I’ve been looking at the LG 27GN950-B and was very close to buying it but this monitor looks to be a good competitor and cheaper.

I currently own a Dell S2417DG which has horrible colour banding so I’m really keen to upgrade. Should I buy this monitor? There isn’t much reviews about it on YouTube so I’d love some opinions of people who own it, I’m so close to buying it. I’m in work and don’t have the time to scroll through nearly 40 pages of comments lol but from a quick glance everyone who owns it seems to be saying good things?

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/dell/s2721dgf

Back
Top Bottom