• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
A red flag is why AMD are waiting so long to talk about their GPUs. Why in the world would they wait so late when they could take the wind out of NVIDIA's sails in the 8th or whenever they release their CPU news. Just a GPU tease of their highest end card working in RDR2, HZD, SOTR with RTX at 4K would be enough to make people stand up and take notice... if they have the numbers to back it up.

Permabanned
A red flag is why AMD are waiting so long to talk about their GPUs. Why in the world would they wait so late when they could take the wind out of NVIDIA's sails in the 8th or whenever they release their CPU news. Just a GPU tease of their highest end card working in RDR2, HZD, SOTR with RTX at 4K would be enough to make people stand up and take notice... if they have the numbers to back it up.

I agree - there is no limit how much earlier they could have launched the new cards.
There are many examples when you order some goods, for example from China or wherever, and they arrive 6 months later.

So, no problem to release them now,, with availability in December.

Soldato

Perhaps they want to build up stocks and what they have competes with what NV are bringing out next such as 20GB 3080's so by waiting they're not showing their hand to NV too early.

Soldato
I agree - there is no limit how much earlier they could have launched the new cards.
There are many examples when you order some goods, for example from China or wherever, and they arrive 6 months later.

So, no problem to release them now,, with availability in December.

Its becoming a very common trend. The last few PC items I've ordered or been interested have had waiting lists and pre-orders. PS5, RTX 3080, Valve Index, HP Reverb G2.

Its what NVIDIA have done this launch ;)

Soldato
Perhaps they want to build up stocks and what they have competes with what NV are bringing out next such as 20GB 3080's so by waiting they're not showing their hand to NV too early.

That just seems like a very lazy, illogical excuse. Surely get the card out, get NVIDIA's share of the pre-orders. NVIDIA can't exactly release their 20GB cards next month given they've just released their 10GB card range and release it to AIBs.. NVIDIA would look really silly if they released a 16GB 3070 next month for example when their flagship 3080 or 10GB.

So AMD announce what they have, open up pre-orders, AMD will have a bigger share of the market than they would have. Then NVIDIA 6 months from now release their 20GB cards... then AMD price drop to provide even better value and more people probably jump ship to AMD given they are cheaper, console + CPU hype, providing great performance with 16GB of VRAM which is more relevant than 20GB and NVIDIA are stuck in a very difficult place

AMD aren't going to have enough stock for pre-orders or for orders regardless of if they announce in 2 weeks or 6 weeks.. I think the painting is on the wall for that and if we look at stocking levels historically from them, it'd paint the same picture re: near launch.

The reason AMD aren't doing this suggests to me they don't have the goods to go to toe to toe with the RTX 3080 and it'd be better to announce their product line closer to the 3070 benchmarks instead.

And if thats the case and AMD are just marginally beating the 2080ti, without NVIDIA's far more mature feature set (RTX, DLSS, VRSS, Freestyle, NVIDIA audio thing which takes away ambient sound) .. then its dissapointing IMO regardless of a few gigs of extra VRAM with maybe 1-3 games will take advantage of.. and even then... no point having VRAM without the speed to back it up.

Soldato
Perhaps AMD just don't give a flying fig about being first, or best for the consumer market and are happy growing their CPU market share, and margins.

I don't understand why people think they 'have to' compete, when they don't. If you want a fast graphics card now buy a Nvidia RTX 3080, and by the time you get it in November whatever AMD will offer shall be there for all to see.

Soldato
Perhaps AMD just don't give a flying fig about being first, or best for the consumer market and are happy growing their CPU market share, and margins.

I don't understand why people think they 'have to' compete, when they don't. If you want a fast graphics card now buy a Nvidia RTX 3080, and by the time you get it in November whatever AMD will offer shall be there for all to see.

Yeah, I think they're happy growing and destroying in the CPU sector and know they probably aren't packing it for the GPU sector at the high end.

If thats the case, I'd love if they can just tell us they aren't playing at the high end for the third generation in a row (couldn't match the 1080ti, couldn't match the 2080ti, and now can't match the 3080/3090) so for people shopping for this type of performance, can finally just discard AMD.

People keep crying about VRAM but there is no point in AMD packing 487489748974GB of VRAM if they can't back it up with performance to even reach an acceptable near-3080 level of FPS.

Soldato
Everyone here is a marketing expert lol.

Amd probably made good money from their previous cards being good mining cards too. I doubt they really care that much about offending the nerd population who have a strange sense of entitlement.

Soldato
You are the exact type of person in taking about, they don't have to tell you, tough poop if you can't wait that's your issue not theirs, deal with it and move on.

And then AMD fanboys cry why people buy NVIDIA?
At least respect the customer base and give us some valid, tangible information on your products in a timely fashion so we can make an educated decision and compare them to the competition.

Soldato
Out of interest where in this do we think the 3070 will fall?

eK4Y1E6.png
Given how the 3080 (and allegedly the 3090) performed compared to NVidia's claims probably a few percent below the 2080ti...which is a shame as that was the card I was targetting. My primary concern was DaVinci Resolve encoding performance which has tended to favour Nvidia even against the compute grunt of the likes of a Radeon VII. I'm still favouring it for that reason but it'll be annoying to see a likely lower priced Radeon equal or better it in most else.

Soldato
AMD has released official statement that RDNA 2 is (over) 50% faster at the same TDP.
If RX 5700 XT is a 200-watt card, to achieve RTX 2080 Ti + 10%, you would need to actually lower the TDP of the Navi 10 replacement in order to get that end performance.

Navi 21 with 300-watt power consumption/TDP will have both 50% higher power budget and 50-60% higher IPC.

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-promises-rdna-2-navi-2x-late-2020-confirms-rdna-3-navi-3x

This is a very clever slide that people are falling for.

The base here is GCN.

So the progresssion is

1 -> 1.5 -> 2.0

So the second +50% is actually a +33% over RDNA. Or at least they could claim it was this all along.

Soldato
And then AMD fanboys cry why people buy NVIDIA?
At least respect the customer base and give us some valid, tangible information on your products in a timely fashion so we can make an educated decision and compare them to the competition.

Why do you care what people cry about?

Respect the customer base, you just said they customer base isn't at the high end for 5 years or more, so again they don't need to say anything as their customers are not at the high end, rather the mid range value segment .

Permabanned
AMD must compete in order to survive - the trend is lower and lower sales and market share for AMD's graphics division, the CPU market share grows extremely slowly - actually AMD is the underdog both with respect to Intel and Nvidia.

It's the customers who don't give a flying fig for AMD's slightly better CPU offerings.

Soldato
Why do you care what people cry about?

Respect the customer base, you just said they customer base isn't at the high end for 5 years or more, so again they don't need to say anything as their customers are not at the high end, rather the mid range value segment .

True. If they are still a mid range value segment, I'm an idiot for hanging around for AMD. :(

Soldato
AMD must compete in order to survive - the trend is lower and lower sales and market share for AMD's graphics division, the CPU market share grows extremely slowly - actually AMD is the underdog both with respect to Intel and Nvidia.

It's the customers who don't give a flying fig for AMD's slightly better CPU offerings.
Um...Intel are being utterly dominated in Retail CPU sales. The only thing preventing their sales from collapsing completely are some pre-existing agreements with OEM's. The customers (and many of the big hardware reviewers) have spoken in that regard. Nvidia's a bit more difficult to overhaul. Their marketing is better than Intel's and their product for now holds the performance crown. The only way for AMD to counter that is to better them in price and performance across the SKU's...they could already do that on the low and midrange last gen, now they have to do it against the 3080. If they can topple the 3090 too its a bonus.

Soldato
True. If they are still a mid range value segment, I'm an idiot for hanging around for AMD. :(

Why would an out spoken person like yourself who has professed their only concern is to be at the pinnacle of gaming performance, not the cost, or the power draw, or the cost be hanging around for AMD if you know their history? Didn't you own a 2080 Ti, or still own even? You already know that you are buying a 3090, right what other option could you possible have to fit those requirements?

You sound like you just want to whine about AMD, while you have zero intention of actually buying one of their products as you are not their targeted customer base.

I love having no skin in the game for either brand, I build systems day in day out for people who end up with some fetish for one brand or another and too me it's just a piece of tech that does a job, and need to either fit in a price or a performance bracket. If AMD continue to do what they are doing right now it makes no difference, after all we are talking about people who play games here, it's entertainment not saving lives.

Associate
We need some leaks! Waiting to trade.my 5700XT in for whatever top end AMD brings as it will be an upgrade to my current card, but wish we had some indication of whats potentially coming.

Those renders look good tho, the triple fan cooler looks lovely

Permabanned
Um...Intel are being utterly dominated in Retail CPU sales. The only thing preventing their sales from collapsing completely are some pre-existing agreements with OEM's. The customers (and many of the big hardware reviewers) have spoken in that regard. Nvidia's a bit more difficult to overhaul. Their marketing is better than Intel's and their product for now holds the performance crown. The only way for AMD to counter that is to better them in price and performance across the SKU's...they could already do that on the low and midrange last gen, now they have to do it against the 3080. If they can topple the 3090 too its a bonus.

The retail sales form the likes of Mindfactory.de, etc are very small part of the whole picture - you have 80% or higher market share pro AMD every month since sometime in 2018 or 2019, I can't find the history, and yet their overall desktop x86-64 market share according to Mercury Research increases by, say what, 0.5% per quarter!

We need some leaks! Waiting to trade.my 5700XT in for whatever top end AMD brings as it will be an upgrade to my current card, but wish we had some indication of whats potentially coming.

Those renders look good tho, the triple fan cooler looks lovely

AMD needs to best the RX 5700 XT by only 78% at 1080p and they will be on par with the RTX 3080 :D

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-rx-5700-xt.c3339

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom