• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ARCHIVE - *** NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 SERIES STOCK SITUATION *** - NO COMPETITOR DISCUSSION

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Edit : Granted, no pyramids of graphics cards appeared this time and they love waving those pyramids around close to release times. There was also a lack of the ridiculous wink posts. I did wonder if that meant they had hardly any cards at the time I must admit.

Gibbo already said Nvidia strictly prohibited pyramids/similar, seems all stock levels that retailers had was under strict NDA... Likely because they had sod all.

I think OcUK would've been lucky to build a kids size pyramid with the stock, let alone anything close to the mammoth ones in the past. :p

Associate
Gibbo already said Nvidia strictly prohibited pyramids/similar, seems all stock levels that retailers had was under strict NDA... Likely because they had sod all.

I think OcUK would've been lucky to build a kids size pyramid with the stock, let alone anything close to the mammoth ones in the past. :p

Indeed :D

Associate
You don't need a diamond lined arse to have 1 pre-order in and be able to put in another order if you see one actively in stock - you could have next to nothing in your bank account and be able to do that without having it cost you anything should you wish.

To be fair, there is a bit of a lead in with refunds as far as I'm aware, but I'd still personally take the punt if I knew it would take some time to acquire one.

Associate
I do see that we have quite a big sample of data now from that form and also the queue calculator. Result will likely be more reliable now considering we have 366 entries of data as of current

Associate

Exactly this, the warning signs were there, not to mention there was already rumors that Nvidia was going to choke launch amounts to drive it.

Nvidia and their Board partners are used to higher margins than what they were set to make on the 3080, its rumored that they would only hit their launch price with extremely limited amounts of stock so as they could say their cards hit that price at release, with demand prices inflated, artificially firstly however once the initial rage dies down, and the retailers seemingly drop some of the gouging the cards will never be back to what people originally imagined they would be. Its basic tactics, create high demand, inflate price due to high demand, ride that price as long as possible then drop prices back down but still higher than what people originally thought they would get.

Fence sitters will wait out til the price falls and wont care they are still paying an inflated price, early adopters don't care either way.

Everyone goes home happy

Associate
From a publisher perspective the message they just got was that thousands upon thousands of gamers were not prepared to wait for an AMD release, so fully supporting Nvidia tech in the games makes a lot of sense.

Beyond that they will not care too much how well Nvidia stocked the pipeline, just that the demand was off the chart.

Publishers will turn away from PC if PC users stop buying, short term supply issues don't really register on their radar.

Maybe. If looking at the bigger picture however the PC gaming market is getting more expensive and more niche.

Folks are opting for game boxes that are better value and that's what publishers are focussing on because it's a safer strategy.

Associate
This may be a dumb question but how are people seeing their queue position with the google doc?

When I put my details in it just tells me that my response has been recorded

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom