Quest 2 Facebook leak - XR2 chipset, 6gb RAM, "almost 4k display"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Yes, and of course you can use the link cable you bought for your quest on the quest 2, probably also the quest 3.

Also, the oculus is the closest we have to a VR standard, and I've been burnt from straying away from the standard before. I'm a VR researcher and of the VR the papers submitted to place like CHI, 60% are oculus based, 30% index and 10% WMR. That tells me all I need to know about the future of VR.

OpenXR is the standard, most games are developed to support this and they then do work on most headsets. Oculus hardware does support OpenXR, it's only the "Oculus exclusives" that have problems on multiple headsets but some of these don't even work on all Oculus headsets.

It seems Oculus have completely given up on PC VR so anyone looking for something better than "mobile" VR will be forced elsewhere. Facebook may be selling more units, but I suspect those customers will be buying less games than PCVR owners.

It's like people buying a mobile phone to play games Vs a PC, both can coexist.

Oculus link is not the same as directly connecting a headset to a GPU, but it may be acceptable to the lower end of the market, it's not replacing PC VR completely.

60% market share would be "good" but not if you compare something like mobile phones Vs GPU's, it's not "domination" in the way you are suggesting, and research papers don't have any reflection on sales.

Soldato
It seems Oculus have completely given up on PC VR so anyone looking for something better than "mobile" VR will be forced elsewhere. Facebook may be selling more units, but I suspect those customers will be buying less games than PCVR owners.

It's like people buying a mobile phone to play games Vs a PC, both can coexist.

Oculus link is not the same as directly connecting a headset to a GPU, but it may be acceptable to the lower end of the market, it's not replacing PC VR completely.

I agree that for the very high end, a dedicated VR display won't be beat. With Quest, the GPU works even harder than running a native display due to having to render and then compress the image. And then there are the bandwidth limitations.

However I don't think its right to say Oculus have given up on PCVR. Link will be supporting the faster chip and 90Hz soon (possibly even 120 Hz) and there is speculation that a wifi 6 link type solution will appear either direct or through a 3rd party dev like Virtual Desktop has done. VD isn't going to be blocked from what Ive read and the dev is planning to make improvements to get the most out of quest 2.

It comes down to how close Quest 2 can get. If its 90% of a G2 at one third the price, and you get the ability to run standalone on top, that is pretty good result.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
True
The two headsets really aren’t trading blows when it comes to pcvr. The quest is cheap and and thumb prescience. The g2 has better audio and visual fidelity with better immersion due to no latency.

for a pc enthusiast forum who buy expensive GPUs... surely we understand the value of plugging our displays into a gpu display port rather than a USB port otherwise why do we bother buying GPUs.. we should just stream our pc games over the internet using shadow or something.. that’s what oculus link is

I wouldn't recommend the Quest 2 as a dedicated PC headset over an Index or a G2 primarily because of the compression issues (both on image quality and CPU/GPU overheads), but it's a great capability to have in addition to the headset being a standalone experience.

And of course if you have a gaming laptop that is powerful enough for VR but which doesn't have a displayport connector then the USB or wireless (via virtual desktop) connection provides a way to play VR on a modern VR headset.

Soldato
I agree that for the very high end, a dedicated VR display won't be beat. With Quest, the GPU works even harder than running a native display due to having to render and then compress the image. And then there are the bandwidth limitations.

However I don't think its right to say Oculus have given up on PCVR. Link will be supporting the faster chip and 90Hz soon (possibly even 120 Hz) and there is speculation that a wifi 6 link type solution will appear either direct or through a 3rd party dev like Virtual Desktop has done. VD isn't going to be blocked from what Ive read.

It comes down to how close Quest 2 can get. If its 90% of a G2 at one third the price, and you get the ability to run standalone on top, that is pretty good result.

Oh don't get me wrong, if they do get Wifi6 sorted without major artefacts like the link cable has now, then we will totally be getting one, but I'm not cancelling my G2 just on the off chance, a Quest2 would replace the aging Vive, but from what Carmack was saying, he's pushing for it but the rest of "facebook" are not interested - they even told VD developer to disable it in the official version and you have to sideload to get it working.

It will be interesting, and I can certainly see the interest in the Quest 2 for people who don't currently have a PC VR headset as it lowers friction to entry.

Soldato
I was seriously considering getting a G2 until last week as I was never satisfied with the sharpness of the Quest 1. I need a new GPU anyway, so there is £6-700 and the G2 would be another £600 on top. That is a big amount. I still need a GPU, but with the Q2 upgrade barely costing me anything, it could be good enough for the casual gaming I do. Hope so anyway. I might still get a G2 down the line, but if I don't need to, great!

Soldato
I wouldn't recommend the Quest 2 as a dedicated PC headset over an Index or a G2 primarily because of the compression issues (both on image quality and CPU/GPU overheads), but it's a great capability to have in addition to the headset being a standalone experience.

And of course if you have a gaming laptop that is powerful enough for VR but which doesn't have a displayport connector then the USB or wireless (via virtual desktop) connection provides a way to play VR on a modern VR headset.

Yup good point on gaming laptop.

I think the best point about Q2 is in the price point of £0-500, its the ONLY option. Oculus have smashed it there.

Soldato
For a lot of people, including myself, it's a pricepoint to enter VR gaming. If I fall in love with it, then I'd be happier to invest the £600+ and find the space etc to make it work. However £300, for something that can be used as standalone, and potentially from my PC wirelessly (so I can still play PCVR, even if it's not the best experience), it's a no brainer.

Soldato
So it’s either £920 for an index with everything vs an oculus quest 2 with most bits a pieces for £500... that’s still a massive difference!

Dont think 'most' bits and pieces are even needed. A £20 USB3 cable + the £299 base version is all you really need. Might not even need the cable if wireless works well on it. The strap is probably a worthwhile purchase but maybe some 3rd party ones will come out later - certainly isn't essential from day 1.

Index £920.
G2 £625 (pre order was £525).
Q2 £320 with cable

There's nothing really to compare the Quest to as a standalone thing, its pretty unique. Not really comparable to the consoles either.

Soldato
OP
After watching how well the Quest works wireless via Virtual Desktop Im back to being tempted by the Q2 again.

I just wish it'd work reliably for me. I can use Virtual Desktop right next to my router, which is pointless as it's next to my PC, but down in the lounge where I have more space it only works intermittently. Fine one minute, then a juddery mess the next.

Soldato
I just wish it'd work reliably for me. I can use Virtual Desktop right next to my router, which is pointless as it's next to my PC, but down in the lounge where I have more space it only works intermittently. Fine one minute, then a juddery mess the next.

Have you considered a wifi access point in your lounge? Also what router do you have? I'm only running a standard Virgin supplied router but it has 5Ghz channel which nothing else I own uses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom